Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:27 PM

37 posts, read 72,587 times

Advertisements

I am a single 40 something guy who is in the process of buying a condo in Phoenix and am really looking for opinions on where would be a great place to buy. I know there is all sorts of city infill happening downtown which will hopefully bring more restaurants, nightlife, etc. Mill Ave seems to have it all in place. The real important things for me are places to people watch, restaurants to try, movie theater (both have one walking distance) and a cool vibe.

I have spent some time on Mill lately and there are always people to watch and great choices for food. I was renting downtown for a bit so I have some experience with that. With all of the fighting about Chase field, I am concerned that if the Diamondbacks do leave, it will create a massive vacuum downtown and will bring property values down.

I work at Maricopa Medical Center so both are short/quick commutes with Roosevelt Row being much quicker, but in reality only by 5minutes or so.

Any information/advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 PM

189 posts, read 232,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 View Post
I have spent some time on Mill lately and there are always people to watch and great choices for food. I was renting downtown for a bit so I have some experience with that. With all of the fighting about Chase field, I am concerned that if the Diamondbacks do leave, it will create a massive vacuum downtown and will bring property values down.
I wouldn't base my long-term investment on the "possibility" of the DBacks leaving. That being said, DBacks are not going anywhere. If the county is stupid enough to not come into an agreement, the City of Phoenix will take over and keep them here. Just as the City is looking to work w/ the Suns for their long-term future.

As a downtown and Roosevelt Row resident, I love it here. My place here has appreciated like crazy and still has potential to go up with a lot of future infill developments down the pipeline. Downtown Tempe is cool but I couldn't live there (i do love Tempe Town Lake however) and it's always a short train ride away.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:01 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,537 times
If you like young girls, tempe. If you like women, almost anywhere else. Why not Scottsdale?

Old 08-16-2016, 01:10 PM

37 posts, read 72,587 times
Thanks Adriver - it isn't so much about women, but more just surroundings. and lifestyle. I have spent sometime in Scottsdale and just didn't find it my cup of tea, plus it would add to my commute at MMC. Last but not least is cost. I want to be in the 'thick of things' and be able to walk rather than drive. From what I have looked at, once I start getting to more walkable areas, the cost is out of my max budget (275k-300k).

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:08 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,113,938 times
I would opt for the Roosevelt area. I think it will grow more in the next five or so years, it is closer to your work(I think well over five minutes), I enjoy the vibe more...just my .02.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,397 times
Either would have the urban vibe you're searching for.

Mill Avenue would be a longer commute to your work but you can avoid traffic by hopping on the light rail to downtown if you choose to.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:36 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Mill is perhaps the most overrated street in AZ. Its really only cool if you like to be around college idiots and a plethora of bums and tweekers. I do appreciate all the new high-rise living going in there, but Mill itself is just a Main St. USA that caters to drunken "bruhs". Its a great place to people watch, though, Ill give you that much.

Id stick with Roosevelt any day.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:56 AM

445 posts, read 518,419 times
I'd love Mill Ave if I was under 25. I'm not. Neither are you, so good chance the college kids would get on your nerves pretty quickly if you had to deal with them every day. I'd suggest living in Roosevelt, and hopping on the light rail to visit Mill Ave when you get the urge.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
Mill avenue

Tempe is amazing and has the best urban experience in the Valley. Mill actually developed. Roosevelt Row is not really an established development.

It's not just for college kids any longer. Tempe is attracting a lot of working professionals and singles. A lot of tech companies are moving there. You will really enjoy it and it's a short drive to Old Town Scottsdale.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Roosevelt Row without a doubt, Mill Ave has attracted some non-college crowd but still feels too college oriented. It's a good time though. But Roosevelt Row allows for more of a big city type of urban experience since you have all the dining, entertainment, sports, and cultural options of central Phoenix right at your doorstep. To me this really isn't even a close call, RR wins, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area