Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2016, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,560 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new here. I've lived in the Valley since '96. First Fountain Hills, then Mesa, then Phoenix. We're currently at 44th St./Thomas. I love where I live but my husband wants to move -- specifically to sell our home and rent his mother's home which is at 47th Ave./ Thunderbird. We have 3 small(er) children ages 11, 9 and 7. They go to a great school that is 10 minutes from home. My husband wants to move because our mortgage is high and we have some credit card debt. We are doing ok, but it is tight. We don't have extra $ for vacations, kids activities, orthodontics, etc. However, we have a great community of friends here. I'm really torn about moving our family to this part of town that I don't like so much. The zip code is 85306. I'm really unfamiliar with the West side overall. The neighborhood his mother lives in is mostly renters. The area does not seem to have an energetic vibe or really any vibrancy at all. I guess I'm posting to vent and get any input on this situation. I realize that it is a personal decision we have to make. One added point is that we bought our home in 2005 when prices were sky-high. We were underwater for several years. At this point I don't even think we could sell our home for what we purchased it for. However, we should be able to make some $ due to equity at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:25 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Definitely not much to walk to around there. The college is right on that corner, mcdonalds and a starbucks. Theres a lot within a few miles in all directions, but nothing I would be walking too. I think you're right about the renters, and definitely bland compared to where you are now.

I was considering moving right there, but the ONLY reason would be to walk over, then run around the college. Just north of thunderbird looks like some of the cheapest homes within miles.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
My daughter and family live around 40th St and Osborn where everything is being sold, rehabbed and priced in the 400 to 500s. Some pretty impressive remodels around there. Is that happening near you also? Maybe you can make out like a bandit with your home if you can sell it to a flipper?? I would not want to move to the west side unless you paid me a hefty incentive. JMHO

Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
I am sure you have considered this, but I will ask anyway. Have you attempted or considered re-financing at today's rates? When you bought in 2005 you were likely paying 4.5 - 5.5% interest. Today you can get a HARP refi under 4%. That could reduce your payment enough to let you stay in your current home. It costs nothing to get a loan estimate.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:25 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My daughter and family live around 40th St and Osborn where everything is being sold, rehabbed and priced in the 400 to 500s. Some pretty impressive remodels around there. Is that happening near you also? Maybe you can make out like a bandit with your home if you can sell it to a flipper?? I would not want to move to the west side unless you paid me a hefty incentive. JMHO
No, that area near arcadia and Biltmore is being built up and renovated more and more. Over on the west side where the OP is talking about its renters, and retirees. Most of the strip malls around there, the main/largest business is vacant. If it wasn't for the college, (and the college students who move over there to rent near school), this area would be dying off. I've stayed in both areas. The area OP is currently in, is 20 times better easy.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I'd take good schools and good neighbors over cheaper monthly payment any day. Like AZJoeD said, have you looked at a re-fi?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:09 AM

94 posts, read 119,571 times
59th ave and Thunderbird has Einstein Bros and Starbucks and Chilpolte. The Peoria schools are pretty good. Ironwood high school has IB if your kids are uber-smart. Brown st. library is close as is Saguaro Ranch park. Arrowhead mall is about 5 miles from that address. Quiet low crime area with mostly families and schools that are between good and great. Just south of 59th Ave and Tbird is the canal park. Nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area