Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 12:51 AM

720 posts, read 734,516 times

Advertisements

the 101 is the best route - however, Scottsdale Road is a nice alternate - very local road but tolerable! Welcome to AZ - I did mass transit 12 years in NJ/NY before I said ENOUGH so driving to work is a privilege no matter the traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 01:31 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR1 View Post
Hello everyone. I will be moving to Chandler in about a month and will be working in Scottsdale near the Gainey Ranch area.

I am trying to get a better idea of what my rush hour commutes will be like. I will be leaving home at around 7:30am and leaving the office at about 5:30pm.

Should I stick to 101, or look for an alternate route at those times? I hope someone can provide realistic commuting times/conditions.

Thanks in advance for your help!
The 101 during rush hour times can be congested both ways, especially around the 202 interchange. I understand the Scottsdale part of the 101 is under construction south of Shea Blvd., so that can tie things up even more. It still would be your best option of commuting from Chandler. Surface streets wouldn't be a good alternate route, especially Scottsdale Road where you'd have downtown Scottsdale to contend with, and the numerous traffic lights would be a stop & go nightmare.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:52 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR1 View Post
I will be in the Ocotillo area near the golf course
Wow, you are looking at realistically 75 minutes in rush hour. I live in north Chandler (much closer to Scottsdale than you). I drive to Shea and 101 weekly and it takes me 45 minutes in the HOV lane. If I had to sit in traffic, it would take me another 30 minutes. Where you live, it will take you 15-20 minutes just to get to the entrance of the 101 in morning rush hour at Frye and Price. It's going to take you an hour just to get to 101 and Indian Bend and then another 10-15 minutes to get to Gainey Village.

You don't have a choice. You only have the 101.

Better get a Tesla

Old 08-28-2016, 08:34 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Wow, you are looking at realistically 75 minutes in rush hour. I live in north Chandler (much closer to Scottsdale than you). I drive to Shea and 101 weekly and it takes me 45 minutes in the HOV lane. If I had to sit in traffic, it would take me another 30 minutes. Where you live, it will take you 15-20 minutes just to get to the entrance of the 101 in morning rush hour at Frye and Price. It's going to take you an hour just to get to 101 and Indian Bend and then another 10-15 minutes to get to Gainey Village.

You don't have a choice. You only have the 101.

Better get a Tesla
It takes me 5-8 minutes to get from my door to the "entrance" of the 101 from my home in the Ocotillo area. When I go, I typically meet someone for lunch and if we are meeting at 11:30, I leave at exactly 11 and have the car parked usually at 11:30. I think you're exaggerating a bit even in rush hour but that time could have been when the 101 was under construction. Don't believe me, do a Google check and adjust for more realistic speeds (ie traffic flows at 75+ on the 101 in Scottsdale, not the posted 55)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area