Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 05:31 PM

6 posts, read 26,178 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in Tucson and work for a major insurance company. I'm looking to move north to Phoenix in the coming months and work in a call center.

After researching, the highest paying seems to be USAA. I've heard some AMAZING things and some BAD things about working for USAA. What is the culture like? (of course I'm expecting lots of military presence and culture). Anyone have any experiences working here?

I've also heard that they do RANDOM drug testing while employed there. Can anyone confirm this?? Also on occasion have drug sniffing dogs in the parking garage?? This seems a bit excessive for a CALL CENTER position.

Living in a state that has legal medical marijuana, I'm a bit surprised by this. Then again in this day and age, nothing should really surprise me.

Anyone ever work for any of the other big companies? State Farm? Progressive? Liberty Mutual? Etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 05:39 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Considering how easy it is to get a recommendation for medical marijuana and there is no negative action that can be taken on you by an employer if you have a recommendation; I'm gonna guess your drug is meth.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Considering how easy it is to get a recommendation for medical marijuana and there is no negative action that can be taken on you by an employer if you have a recommendation; I'm gonna guess your drug is meth.

You've been misinformed buddy.

Employers can fire an employee for failing a pre-employment OR random drug test for marijuana EVEN in completely legal states like Colorado/Washington. (Which is completely absurd by the way)

Please know what you're talking about before posting again, thanks.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...615-story.html

(Anyone know why that link is not clickable?)

Old 08-27-2016, 06:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonGirl010101 View Post

Employers can fire an employee for failing a pre-employment OR random drug test for marijuana EVEN in completely legal states like Colorado/Washington. (Which is completely absurd by the way)

It's legal to smoke pot in Colorado, but you can still get fired for it - LA Times

It's not an active link because you don't have enough posts yet.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's not an active link because you don't have enough posts yet.
Oh, I see. Thank you!

Any input on the subject or just observing??

Old 08-27-2016, 06:58 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
I would switch to pills.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:19 PM

346 posts, read 549,096 times
Sent you a message with contact info for someone who can answer all your questions!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:31 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonGirl010101 View Post

It's legal to smoke pot in Colorado, but you can still get fired for it - LA Times

First, You can't be fired if its a PRE-EMPLOYMENT drug test, (because you have not been hired).

Second, No, (and its the first one that came up)
Medical Marijuana in Arizona: Drug Testing and Employer Obligations
DRUG TESTING

Because qualifying persons are now permitted to use marijuana, employers may no longer use a drug test that is positive for marijuana as the basis for termination, disciplinary action, hiring or any decisions impacting a term or condition of employment.

There are two major exceptions to this general rule. An employer may take an employment action against an employee who tests positive for marijuana use if (a) the employee is impaired or (b) the employer would lose a monetary or licensing benefit if the employee was not terminated or disciplined.

Impairment vs. Use. One of the major difficulties that will arise for employers is that, while they may take employment action against an employee for being impaired as a result of marijuana use while at work, employers may not take employment action against an employee simply because the employee has marijuana in his or her system. In other words, in order to terminate an employee who tests positive for marijuana, the employer must subject the employee to a much more expensive drug test that actually tests the level of marijuana in one’s system, rather than a test that merely confirms the existence of the drug in one’s system.

Drug Testing Policies. Employers must immediately implement a drug testing policy that specifically addresses medical marijuana. The new policy should (a) comply with Arizona’s drug testing policy, (b) prohibit use and possession of marijuana at the workplace and (c) prohibit impairment at work.

Sacks Tierney can assist in drafting the policy that will best protect your company from liability for improper drug testing and for other actions that could violate the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act or the DHS Medical Marijuana Program. ■

Old 08-27-2016, 09:40 PM

157 posts, read 453,166 times
I used to work there but not since 2010 so things may have changed. But the only drug test I got was pre-employment. I also never heard of drug dogs or anything like that.

The culture is standard big corporate stuff. Lots of people you will never know and your handful of friends you hang out with for lunch maybe. Rest of your time is at your cubicle. Your team lives or dies by how everyone gets along with the manager. Time is very strict. Your entire day is set down to the minute. Meetings and more meetings. You will likely have to upsell on most calls. The campus is nice. Lots of tvs, food options, ping pong tables.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
First, You can't be fired if its a PRE-EMPLOYMENT drug test, (because you have not been hired).

Touche.

Quote:
Second, No, (and its the first one that came up)
Medical Marijuana in Arizona: Drug Testing and Employer Obligations
DRUG TESTING

Because qualifying persons are now permitted to use marijuana, employers may no longer use a drug test that is positive for marijuana as the basis for termination, disciplinary action, hiring or any decisions impacting a term or condition of employment.

There are two major exceptions to this general rule. An employer may take an employment action against an employee who tests positive for marijuana use if (a) the employee is impaired or (b) the employer would lose a monetary or licensing benefit if the employee was not terminated or disciplined.

Impairment vs. Use. One of the major difficulties that will arise for employers is that, while they may take employment action against an employee for being impaired as a result of marijuana use while at work, employers may not take employment action against an employee simply because the employee has marijuana in his or her system. In other words, in order to terminate an employee who tests positive for marijuana, the employer must subject the employee to a much more expensive drug test that actually tests the level of marijuana in one’s system, rather than a test that merely confirms the existence of the drug in one’s system.

Drug Testing Policies. Employers must immediately implement a drug testing policy that specifically addresses medical marijuana. The new policy should (a) comply with Arizona’s drug testing policy, (b) prohibit use and possession of marijuana at the workplace and (c) prohibit impairment at work.

Sacks Tierney can assist in drafting the policy that will best protect your company from liability for improper drug testing and for other actions that could violate the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act or the DHS Medical Marijuana Program. ■

Excellent info, I did not know. Not all states are like this, good to see Arizona took this stance, IMO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area