Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:07 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Here is what I did and it seems to have worked very well. I used Bulwark for a couple of years but I decided to just spray myself so I asked the guy what they use and surprisingly, he told me. It was some stuff called Cy-Kick.
I bought a 4 gallon backpack sprayer from Harbor Freight. It was around 20 dollars at the time. Then I went on Amazon and bought some Cy-Kick. It was less than 40 dollars and i spray 3 or 4 times a year but if I had a problem, I could spray whenever I want. The 40 dollar bottle of Cy-Kick lasted me over 2 years.
Frankly, I didn't think they were using enough product. They mixed their tank at my house once and seeing how much they put in there just didn't add up so that's why I chose to do it myself and I've saved several thousand dollars in the process.
It's easy, doesn't take but about 15 minutes, it's certainly affordable and I know it's done right.
Cy-Kick is pretty harmless actually. It's basically just a finer grade of diatamatious earth. Same stuff used on some pool filters.
So far, it has worked for well for me.
That's my story......
Yup. I bought Cy-kick too. I just don't have the time to do it myself. Besides, the scorpion issue was getting out of hand and I had to do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 10:54 PM

87 posts, read 190,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yup. I bought Cy-kick too. I just don't have the time to do it myself. Besides, the scorpion issue was getting out of hand and I had to do something.
Unless you have got a 10,000 sqft mansion I can't imagine not having the 15-20 minutes it takes to spray the perimeter of your home 3 to 4 times a year. I'm pretty sure at least one treatment could have been done in the time it has taken to log on and make several of these posts.

Anyways, I alternate between Cyper WP and Cy-kick every other treatment. I find 2-3 dying or dead scorpions a year by my entryways during their active months. So don't think that they just "walk over" treatments like some have suggested. But you also have to have your house sealed so they have to squeeze through treated areas effectively poisoning themselves. I sealed the interior (outlets, switches, vents, pipe entrances) as well as the outside myself but had professionals do the roof. It's probably been about 3 years since I have seen a live scorpion in the actual interior portions of the house.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 AM

61 posts, read 190,321 times
I used to use Cy-Kick but this season switched to Onslaught FastCap Spider and Scorpion Insecticide. It might be a coincidence, but this season we have seen dramatically less scorpions in our yard. The FastCap is more expensive per oz but used at half the concentration, so price wise its about the same.

Pesticide outside and thorough sealing is the way to go. You can also get sticky traps and put them in dark corners. I like to cut them up into strips.

We hadn't seen a single one in the house this year, until last week one crawled in through the bathroom exhaust fan. Last year we had more than 7. I've now screened the exhaust fans. So we'll see how that goes.

Its true that scorpions do not groom themselves and are therefore harder to kill. But the microencapsulated poisons do kill them. They brush against the capsules as they slither across the bumps in the ground. And if that happens enough times the scorpion will eventually die. This is why its recommended to spray in a 4ft band around your house. More chances for the poison to work. I used to see this in action every month. Spray and go looking for the dead bodies the next day.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:24 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
A neighbor we know with an infant placed the legs of the crib in jars as I've read scorpions can't crawl up on the slippery glass and get into the crib.
This is great advice, and a near foolproof way to keep scorps from crawling up into beds. I would suggest throwing a small net over the top of the crib, too, just as a precaution to keep one from accidentally falling off the ceiling into the bed. Its quite unlikely that would ever happen, but it will help you sleep better at night, Im sure.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:11 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Cy-Kick is pretty harmless actually. It's basically just a finer grade of diatamatious earth. Same stuff used on some pool filters.
Cy-Kick may indeed contain diatomaceous earth as part of its "proprietary ingredients" listed on MSDS, but its active ingredient is Cyfluthrin, a pyrethroid neurotoxic insecticide. Pyrethroids are synthetic versions of Pyrethrum, a natural pesticide that originally came from chrysanthemum flowers. pyrethroids should be used with extreme caution around mammals and fish. Cats are particularly susceptible to one pyrethroid; Permethrin but many veterinarians caution against all pyrethroids.
Friends had a koi pond and couldn't figure out why their pricey fish kept dying. One day I was visiting and saw their bug guy spraying in such a way that sprinkler or rain runoff could carry dilute Cy-Kick straight into their pond over time. Sure enough, when they cleaned out the pond and stopped the spraying nearby their fish problems cleared up.

I was stung by a bark scorpion at 6 months of age and nearly died. I have had many stings since in 60 plus years in the desert, mostly when camping or hunting. It's the desert, there are scorpions. Humans attract tasty bugs that scorpions like to eat, especially roaches.
I guess it isn't practical for most people, but the best defense there is for scorpions, centipedes and snakes is a flock of free range chickens. Chickens will seek out and even fight over scorpions.

http://www.pestcontrol.basf.us/produ...kickcsmsds.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area