Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:59 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,007,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This map only proves my point that people kept refuting earlier that Scottsdale is very white especially when comparing to the other suburbs. But Scottsdale is the apple of Phoenix's eye. The Foothills are not the apple and focus of Tucson.
Eh, not really. La Encantada? Westward Look? St. Phillips? El Conquistador? La Paloma? Ventana Canyon Loews? Dove Mountain Etc.

In both towns the rich parts are generally white and the poorer parts are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:06 PM

6,314 posts, read 6,881,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Eh, not really. La Encantada? Westward Look? St. Phillips? El Conquistador? La Paloma? Ventana Canyon Loews? Dove Mountain Etc.

In both towns the rich parts are generally white and the poorer parts are not.
Scottsdale, AZ: 89.3% White in 2010, White Non-Hispanic: 83.7%

I don't know, Scottsdale is looking pretty blue. The exception is Sun City which doesn't really qualify as it is only 55+ and isn't really a suburb despite its size.

Scottsdale city Arizona QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix--& Arizona--What's the Attraction? :)-screen-shot-2016-09-22-6.07.24  

Old 09-22-2016, 07:31 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,339,382 times
I want to live in Prescott all year round will some millionaire from Phoenix please just give me a house there ? thanks

Old 09-22-2016, 08:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,409,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
I want to live in Prescott all year round will some millionaire from Phoenix please just give me a house there ? thanks
I hear there are a plethora of halfway houses in Prescott, you don't need a millionaire, you just need to be in drug rehab!

Old 09-22-2016, 09:47 PM

850 posts, read 800,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Honestly, after living in the Phoenix metro for over twenty years, I don't see the appeal at all. In fact I'm sure some of the other regulars on here know that I'm very critical of Phoenix and Maricopa county as a whole. I hate the social behaviors of Phoenicians, I hate the lack of interest in intellectual topics in most Phoenicians, I hate how hot Phoenix is, I hate how expensive Phoenix is starting to become with no real increase in jobs or wages, I hate the politics...

I live in Tucson now and it's better by leagues in my opinion. A place with real culture, history, diversity (Scottsdale is one of the whitest suburbs in the country btw), better weather scenery and outdoor recreation. Friendlier people and cheaper as well. As a whole Arizona is a very beautiful state with lots to offer. One of the wonders of the world, places to ski (Flag is amazing), one of the best for stargazing, huge climatic diversity and almost every type of ecosystem you can think of (even swamps, called cienegas here). You can get everything in almost the whole world with some driving time in Arizona for a decent price. And if you hide in your house for five months of the year or so summers aren't that bad. Winters are great and many people are anti-snow.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't see the appeal in Texas either but people like it for some reason.
Is Tucson really offer that much more than Scottsdale? to me it seemed smaller than tempe overall.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:59 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,823,084 times
I'm an African-American who relocated from Charlotte. Coming up on my 3yr. anniversary here, and I absolutely love it. Its not perfect...but in my opinion soooooooo.much better than Charlotte (Again...my opinion)..Perks include weekend getways to LA, San Diego, Las Vegas. Weather is awesome, humidity is low, and the shopping is to die for. Yes the AA population is not as dense as someplace like Atlanta, Orleans, or even Charlotte....But that's not a dealbreaker in my eye.
I think Phoenix gets a "bad rap" from the African-American population, but since I've been here, the city is definitely improving when it comes to diversity. Phoenix is definitely up and coming.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:42 PM

446 posts, read 401,421 times
Wow, this is the first 10-page thread I've ever started, and it hasn't even been 48 hours! Cool.

Everybody, thanks for your replies. Even the ones that turned into "discussions" about car taxes, diversity, and humidity. I've always heard that Arizona has low humidity (one reason it's a traditional destination for retirees); whatever the dew points are there I'm pretty sure the humidity is lower than here in the SE!

I wish that one poster would donate one of their 3 houses to me! But I've had too much experience of people "giving" people places to live (student rentals, family, garage apartments -- you pay rent and can still get kicked out with no notice, at least where I live now I feel secure on that count).

I would love to make a road trip out to Arizona and sightsee.

The references to the East Coast as "out East" here tickle me; sounds like characters in British novels referring to Asia. lol

I appreciate all the responses. Wish I were rich, I'd go check the place out.

I once saw a photo of a horse for sale in Saskatchewan -- I was amazed at how the prairie reminded me of the ocean. If there is that sort of spaciousness in Arizona, I would probably love it. I love the Great
Smokies, but I get claustrophobic surrounded by intown hills and trees all the time. No views. No sense of wide open spaces.

Thanks again, I look forward to seeing more posts here.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,007,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That is fundamentally YOUR decision. My car registration this year will be about $50 per year in AZ vs $110 in IL. That is NOT very outrageous to me.
The only difference between here and IL is that IL's fee is set, here in AZ it depends on the year of the vehicle. If you have a nice, shiny new Cadillac in AZ, youre gonna pay what you would pay for 3 years in IL. Luckily I own two older vehicles, so its not too pricey at all.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:29 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,761,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Wow, this is the first 10-page thread I've ever started, and it hasn't even been 48 hours! Cool.

Everybody, thanks for your replies. Even the ones that turned into "discussions" about car taxes, diversity, and humidity. I've always heard that Arizona has low humidity (one reason it's a traditional destination for retirees); whatever the dew points are there I'm pretty sure the humidity is lower than here in the SE!

I wish that one poster would donate one of their 3 houses to me! But I've had too much experience of people "giving" people places to live (student rentals, family, garage apartments -- you pay rent and can still get kicked out with no notice, at least where I live now I feel secure on that count).

I would love to make a road trip out to Arizona and sightsee.

The references to the East Coast as "out East" here tickle me; sounds like characters in British novels referring to Asia. lol

I appreciate all the responses. Wish I were rich, I'd go check the place out.

I once saw a photo of a horse for sale in Saskatchewan -- I was amazed at how the prairie reminded me of the ocean. If there is that sort of spaciousness in Arizona, I would probably love it. I love the Great
Smokies, but I get claustrophobic surrounded by intown hills and trees all the time. No views. No sense of wide open spaces.

Thanks again, I look forward to seeing more posts here.
Make it happen! Come out and see it for yourself.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,339,382 times
people who love to sweat ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area