Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 02:16 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,773,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Getting from one end of Tucson to the other by car is a comparative breeze.
That's absurd. I was exiled in Tucson for about a year in the 90's, commuted home to Phoenix on the weekends. About a third of the commute from where I worked at Speedway and Wilmot to my home in Phoenix was spent getting across to I-10. It took forever to get across town. I can' imagine that it's gotten any better.

Enough with Tucson already. This is a Phoenix forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 04:21 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,007,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
That's absurd. I was exiled in Tucson for about a year in the 90's, commuted home to Phoenix on the weekends. About a third of the commute from where I worked at Speedway and Wilmot to my home in Phoenix was spent getting across to I-10. It took forever to get across town. I can' imagine that it's gotten any better.

Enough with Tucson already. This is a Phoenix forum.
To be fair the title says Phoenix--& Arizona.

Problem is the Arizona forum is where threads go to die.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,319,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
To be fair the title says Phoenix--& Arizona.

Problem is the Arizona forum is where threads go to die.
Theres been way too much Wildcat/Tucson in this thread. yuck.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 AM

277 posts, read 278,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
That's fine you're allowed to disagree no problem at all. And I agree with you about Central Phoenix making great strides in the past decade or so. Central Phoenix has always been a favorite area of mine and there is a growing population of yuppies in the area. Hmmm and you must not travel much if you think the nightlife in the Valley is "well known" and "renowned". I don't think anyone in NYC or LA are in any hurry to get to the nightlife here.....just saying.
People have different tastes, I find LA and New York to be full of fake and pretensions people, as is their nightlife. Chicago or San Francisco...even Phoenix over LA and NYC any day of the week.

that being said, Scottsdale and Tempe are known for their party atmosphere even by the yuppies in Manhattan and LA

Old 09-26-2016, 10:33 AM

277 posts, read 278,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
The cross-town freeway wasn't built because many regular people didn't want their neighborhoods destroyed. Neighborhoods are a significant deal in Tucson. It was put to a city vote.

Also freeways don't get you anywhere fast, in my experience. Living in SoCal and Chicagoland, it takes two hours just to get out of town; so I find getting across Tucson using major arterials a pleasant experience.

Phoenix has ~5x Tucson's metro population
Chicagoland has ~10x Tucson's metro Population
LA/Socal has ~20x Tucson's metro population

That's not even pointing out that the Chicagoland area is geographically equivalent even a bit smaller than Tucson's which makes it even worse.

really isn't comparable at all.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:58 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,970,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post

If I could afford to live anywhere I would want to be near the ocean, but desert landscapes I have seen in pictures show that same huge spaciousness I love about the sea.
I was born and raised her and couldn't wait to get out. My time away made me really appreciate the place.

Of course my first stop was CA because everyone wants "the ocean"
Guess how many times I went to the beach? The beaches were dirty over crowded and traffic was awful. Property crime was insane there too.

Arizona has a lot of places that offer the upscale feel, the job economy is good (if you have a degree and career) and the cost of living is very affordable.

I enjoyed getting the chance to experience other places, but I am happy to be back here now that I have a family.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:19 AM

853 posts, read 977,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Of course my first stop was CA because everyone wants "the ocean"
Guess how many times I went to the beach? The beaches were dirty over crowded and traffic was awful. Property crime was insane there too.
Born and raised in CA about 45 minutes from the ocean (either SF or SC). Moved away a couple of years ago when I was 32 and I don't need more than both hands to count the number of times I went to the beach. Everyone wants to live close to the ocean, but then they hardly go. Basically it's about just knowing that it's there. Also, yes, the beaches are always super crowded anyway even up in the Bay Area where I lived, for whatever reason, where the water is cold year-round. The warm-water beaches down south are an order of magnitude worse.

The newness of most of the valley, the job market (with aforementioned degree+career caveat), and the absolutely stellar cost of living are huge attractions (although home prices are getting a little steep for what you get, even here. Even if I could buy now, I'd still be waiting quite a few years for the prices to lower to a more sensible point).

As for the target of the thread - rich people - I don't know. Golf courses every 2 miles, usable year-round, maybe.

Last edited by PhoenixSomeday; 09-26-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 01:04 PM

78 posts, read 71,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Just curious, not critical. I was reading the other night about some of the VERY wealthy people who live in Phoenix and I just wondered, what is it about Phoenix, and Arizona in general, that attracts people who can afford to live anywhere?

I live in the Southeast and have never been out west, so I have no idea what it's like out there. I have heard it is a beautiful state, and the climate is good (particularly if you have asthma and allergies, like me), and pictures I have seen show beautiful landscapes.

If I could afford to live anywhere I would want to be near the ocean, but desert landscapes I have seen in pictures show that same huge spaciousness I love about the sea.

So please, Arizona lovers, educate me!
There are very wealthy people in virtually every state and all over the world and in all racial demographics.

I am amazed at the amount of very wealthy people who own a 1st, second or 3rd home in South Beach Miami, along with a yacht.

We are potentially looking at taking a job relocation to Scottsdale. We have lived in numerous states in the US. For us, the weather and scenery are top draws.

Like someone else stated earlier, in most states during the summer, you sweat or are just plain miserable for 3 months. I'll take the dry heat in Phoenix any day over heat and humidity in the SE from June-September.

To escape ice storms, snow, power outages from snow and ice, along with freezing temperatures is a pro.

Being able to fly out of Phoenix International to fly south to enjoy whichever destination during the winter is another pro, when Chicago, Reagan, JFK, etc. etc. are shut down to snow/ice storms.

If we feel a need for something that Phoenix does not offer, then we can utilize passage by car, or plane to get us there.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:09 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,377,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Born and raised in CA about 45 minutes from the ocean (either SF or SC). Moved away a couple of years ago when I was 32 and I don't need more than both hands to count the number of times I went to the beach. Everyone wants to live close to the ocean, but then they hardly go. Basically it's about just knowing that it's there. Also, yes, the beaches are always super crowded anyway even up in the Bay Area where I lived, for whatever reason, where the water is cold year-round. The warm-water beaches down south are an order of magnitude worse.

The newness of most of the valley, the job market (with aforementioned degree+career caveat), and the absolutely stellar cost of living are huge attractions (although home prices are getting a little steep for what you get, even here. Even if I could buy now, I'd still be waiting quite a few years for the prices to lower to a more sensible point).

As for the target of the thread - rich people - I don't know. Golf courses every 2 miles, usable year-round, maybe.
Great post. When I lived in SoCal, when I wanted to go to the beach especially during the summer and not feel crushed by a sea of humanity...you need to take a weekday off, and then because of the traffic, you have to leave your house after the morning traffic, then be sure to leave the beach before the afternoon traffic. Unless you wanted to be there for like 12 hours and avoid the traffic that way.

It was about as much effort and pre-planning as trying to go to Disneyland when it isn't crowded. Very possibly, and lots of fun, but not something you'd ever do just on a whim.

Therefore, I think you're absolutely right. "Near the beach" is often more about "knowing it's there" just like you said, and also about the nice mild weather you get near beaches. I'm sure there are a few people who actually go all the time because they love it so much, but most people I knew didn't/don't go more than the requisite few times a year because it is a big hassle and to put up with that, or brave the beaches on a summer weekend, you have to really, truly, love you some beaches.

If I was ever going to go for beach living, therefore, I would be more into the NorCal or Oregon/Washington coasts. A lot of peaceful beaches when it's too cold to swim without a wetsuit. Love the idea of walking along a foggy beach. BUT, I'm sure if I lived in a cold, rainy, foggy coastal town, I'd get tired of that, too.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:09 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,319,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Everyone wants to live close to the ocean, but then they hardly go.
Nah, everyone is different. When I was a little kid we went almost once a week. When I was in High School, we went 3-4 times a week. We would get out of school before 3 PM and make the 15-20 minute drive to Doheny Beach to hang out pretty often. Of course if someone has a full time job and commute, they are less likely to go except on the weekends when it's busier. It is a draw for me but I do understand some don't see the attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area