Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 12:00 PM

144 posts, read 185,728 times

Advertisements

It's safer than a lot of US cities. I've lived all over but honestly, I'm bored out of my mind here. I hate it, it's too hot, not as much green as thre is brown, people are so stupid and passive aggressive and not a whole lot of people dress uniquely. Back in NYC there's more to do, a wonderful fashion scene, more diversity, and I can go on you get it. But I moved here just to give it a shot (also, living by the brother helps). Honestly, if I had the money I'd live in SanFran or NYC. But I'm broke af so we'll wait up on that.
Oh yeh, and don't move here if you don't like boredom.

Last edited by toosie; 10-06-2016 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: TOS violation - no profanity - please don't try to trick the filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 12:03 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,007,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
It's safer than a lot of US cities. I've lived all over but honestly, I'm bored out of my mind here. I hate it, it's too hot, not as much green as thre is brown, people are so stupid and passive aggressive and not a whole lot of people dress uniquely. Back in NYC there's more to do, a wonderful fashion scene, more diversity, and I can go on you get it. But I moved here just to give it a shot (also, living by the brother helps). Honestly, if I had the money I'd live in SanFran or NYC. But I'm broke af so we'll wait up on that.
There is only one NYC.

Last edited by toosie; 10-06-2016 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Deleted profanity from quoted post

Old 10-06-2016, 03:36 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,970,728 times
Quote:
What is it you did for fun in New York that you haven't found here - just wondering

Last edited by toosie; 10-06-2016 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Deleted profanity from quoted post

Old 10-06-2016, 10:26 PM

45 posts, read 39,595 times
Quote:
Have to agree with this. Although I've never been to NYC so I can't compare it to here. But yeah, the novelty has worn off for me after living here for almost 10 years now. It's one of those places that's fun to visit but after you live here you realize a bunch of things that nobody tells you beforehand.

First off, you better like driving because nothing is within walking or biking range unless it's one of the endless chain restaurants/stores. There are good local joints here and there but chances are you won't be living close to them. In fact chances are you'll be living in some far flung suburb which are ghost towns after about 8PM.

Second is the weather; nothing but endless sun 300 +days of the year. No seasons except for the change in temp. It's also backward here, the longest days of the year are rendered useless here because of the temps. Alot of people say it's awesome; I say it's boring as hell except for maybe monsoon season. But even then you have to deal with annoying dust storms which will almost always precede the mediocre amount of rain you hope to get. And if it isn't the dust storms in the summer it's the stagnation and inversions in the winter that make the air quality here horrible year-round. Did I mention the dirt? You better learn to love it because it's endless. And unless you like being in a 85+ degree pool you won't be doing anything else outside for any extended period of time in the summer.

So basically what I'm saying is that even if you are a outdoorsy or a homebody type you better learn to like sweating, dirt & concrete if you wanna live here.

Sorry if this post seems so negative, there are some good things here too but I am a pessimist.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,007,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sder View Post
Have to agree with this. Although I've never been to NYC so I can't compare it to here. But yeah, the novelty has worn off for me after living here for almost 10 years now. It's one of those places that's fun to visit but after you live here you realize a bunch of things that nobody tells you beforehand.

First off, you better like driving because nothing is within walking or biking range unless it's one of the endless chain restaurants/stores. There are good local joints here and there but chances are you won't be living close to them. In fact chances are you'll be living in some far flung suburb which are ghost towns after about 8PM.

Second is the weather; nothing but endless sun 300 +days of the year. No seasons except for the change in temp. It's also backward here, the longest days of the year are rendered useless here because of the temps. Alot of people say it's awesome; I say it's boring as hell except for maybe monsoon season. But even then you have to deal with annoying dust storms which will almost always precede the mediocre amount of rain you hope to get. And if it isn't the dust storms in the summer it's the stagnation and inversions in the winter that make the air quality here horrible year-round. Did I mention the dirt? You better learn to love it because it's endless. And unless you like being in a 85+ degree pool you won't be doing anything else outside for any extended period of time in the summer.

So basically what I'm saying is that even if you are a outdoorsy or a homebody type you better learn to like sweating, dirt & concrete if you wanna live here.

Sorry if this post seems so negative, there are some good things here too but I am a pessimist.
I think a lot of this is hyperbole, it's easy to live by local joints you can walk to. I can walk to atleast 5 nonchain restaurants including a dive bar and a sports bar. If you look you can get by without driving much.

That said, sweat dirt and concrete bit is spot on!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:45 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,507,796 times
Quote:
As someone who knows NYC/the state very well, sure, you can trade Phoenix desert "brown" for what I see as NYC gray, concrete, dirty, old, hyper, often obnoxious, loud, congested, over crowded, outrageously expensive, often less than ideal weather, etc. A few nice museums there like the Met and American Hist though I like DC's Smithsonian's just as much if not more.

And "boredom" I find is often self-inflicted, no matter where one lives. I have friends/family who live in NY and many other places and they share many of the same views of NY as you do of Phoenix for different reasons so it's all a personal thing of course.

So whatever floats your boat.

And good luck on ever moving back to any Burrough of NYC. If you want a decent quality of life/a nice place to live, you better have a seriously good paying job. It's certainly not going to be a "diversity" haven with the way rent/real estate is going unless your version of diversity = upper income, high income, and ultra high income as the middle class and below get squeezed out like what's been happening in SF.

RIP, NYC's Middle Class: Why Families are Being Pushed Away From the City | Newgeography.com

But yes, NYC is a fun city to visit for a short period of time but beyond that on many levels, no thanks. Been there, done that. You can take over my share.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:00 PM

594 posts, read 702,826 times
Default I'm still waiting too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
What is it you did for fun in New York that you haven't found here - just wondering
Great job Arizona !
Years ago someone would've addressed this poster accusing Arizona of being , but 5 million and counting don't lie.
Also congratulations is in order....we are now in the conversation with the likes of New York....
I actually remember the good ol days when we were being compared to Tucson.
Tokyo, London , Paris......watch your back !

Old 10-07-2016, 02:07 PM

127 posts, read 172,723 times
Quote:
Coming from NY and working in the city, we've been visiting several times in anticipation of relocating and we definitely find that it's different. Everything is a little bit "California Lite", which is pretty foreign to me. The weather is the weather, I suppose you either prefer the heat or you don't.

I have a hard time imagining it being boring, though. There's plenty of shopping, nightlife, restaurants, and outdoor activity. Overall, I got the sense that people are a lot more positive and optimistic than in NYC.

Now, with that said, everybody has their own interests. If hiking up a mountain or taking a road trip doesn't appeal to you, you mention "dressing uniquely" and the "fashion scene", I can see where your interests might not align. I'd second the other poster's question: what, specifically, do you miss from NYC?

Old 10-07-2016, 04:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,409,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
And "boredom" I find is often self-inflicted, no matter where one lives. I have friends/family who live in NY and many other places and they share many of the same views of NY as you do of Phoenix for different reasons so it's all a personal thing of course.

So whatever floats your boat.
How does that saying go, no matter where you live or move to, you always have to deal with yourself!

And most often than not, like you mentioned, it's you, yourself and not the place, there's no boring places, just boring people!

Old 10-07-2016, 04:47 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,507,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
How does that saying go, no matter where you live or move to, you always have to deal with yourself!

And most often than not, like you mentioned, it's you, yourself and not the place, there's no boring places, just boring people!
yep, exactly! That is a great saying btw. Seen it kicked around here and there over the years and it certainly is spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area