Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 12:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Bro, coming from Chicago area where there are entire neighborhoods that only speak Lithuanian, Chinese, Russian, German, Spanish, Somali, Polish, etc, where nothing is in English (except the street signs), there just isn't anything like that in Phoenix. Sure you might stumble across some restaurants here and there in PHX (every city is like that, though), but there are no big enclaves to visit to feel much diversity outside of Spanish-speaking enclaves.
Just because a place isn't just like Chicago doesn't make it "not big city" like. It's just a different type of big city. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:26 PM

226 posts, read 227,846 times
Quote:
Bro, coming from Chicago area where there are entire neighborhoods that only speak Lithuanian, Chinese, Russian, German, Spanish, Somali, Polish, etc,

Here, we have entire neighborhoods that speak Spanish. Close enough, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 01:38 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,923,742 times
Quote:
Bro, coming from Chicago area where there are entire neighborhoods that only speak Lithuanian, Chinese, Russian, German, Spanish, Somali, Polish, etc, where nothing is in English (except the street signs), there just isn't anything like that in Phoenix. Sure you might stumble across some restaurants here and there in PHX (every city is like that, though), but there are no big enclaves to visit to feel much diversity outside of Spanish-speaking enclaves.

Maybe you don't see or hear of neighborhoods like that in Phoenix because those people haven't moved here yet? I'm pretty sure there are probably 'some' people of those nationalities around but why would they all stay grouped together in one neighborhood? Seems to me like everyone is pretty spread out, which I think is a good thing. Comparing the diversity of Chicago and Phoenix is just one more apples/oranges comparison. For one thing Chicago has had way more years to develop neighborhoods like that. Detroit had them too and so does New York, etc.. Why does it matter, really? South Phoenix is fairly well diverse with white, black and Hispanic but I haven't noticed that it's made it any better or worse than any other part of the city. More Mexican restaurants is all.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:56 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Just because a place isn't just like Chicago doesn't make it "not big city" like. It's just a different type of big city. Nothing wrong with that.
I didn't say it wasn't a big city, but it just doesn't offer much in the way of diversity or high-paying jobs. Someone asked for me to explain why I thought that way, and I responded. Yes, PHX is a big city, 6th largest in the nation, but it just doesn't feel like a big city. I think its just the way its laid out, how slowly things progressed, and how it has grown out and not up. We're barely behind Philly in terms of population, but Philly feels more like a "big city" than Phoenix. Luckily for us, Phoenix is growing in the right direction, but... still so far to go.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Maybe you don't see or hear of neighborhoods like that in Phoenix because those people haven't moved here yet? I'm pretty sure there are probably 'some' people of those nationalities around but why would they all stay grouped together in one neighborhood? Seems to me like everyone is pretty spread out, which I think is a good thing. Comparing the diversity of Chicago and Phoenix is just one more apples/oranges comparison. For one thing Chicago has had way more years to develop neighborhoods like that. Detroit had them too and so does New York, etc.. Why does it matter, really? South Phoenix is fairly well diverse with white, black and Hispanic but I haven't noticed that it's made it any better or worse than any other part of the city. More Mexican restaurants is all.
I agree. But we'll never really get those types of neighborhoods, simply because Phoenix is already so integrated. There's diversity here (duh), but nothing like people are usually seeking. They want ethnic enclaves within a city to visit, and here we don't offer such a thing. We don't have San Fran-style Chinatown. We don't have a NYC-style Little Havana. We don't have a Chicago-style Little Warsaw. For as big as Phoenix is, its not really a big draw for immigrants from Europe or Asia. That's just the way it is.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:09 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't a big city, but it just doesn't offer much in the way of diversity or high-paying jobs. Someone asked for me to explain why I thought that way, and I responded. Yes, PHX is a big city, 6th largest in the nation, but it just doesn't feel like a big city. I think its just the way its laid out, how slowly things progressed, and how it has grown out and not up. We're barely behind Philly in terms of population, but Philly feels more like a "big city" than Phoenix. Luckily for us, Phoenix is growing in the right direction, but... still so far to go.
Actually, 5th largest, we've overtaken Philadelphia again

Old 09-21-2016, 02:13 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
While true, I've never felt it fair to compare Phoenix with Philly. One is an enormous horizontal sprawl and the other is exactly the opposite.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Cool. When did that happen? I just read Philly was gaining in population. Perhaps not fast enough?

Old 09-21-2016, 02:37 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
Quote:
Wow, on the list of things I care about as a resident, these are virtually zero. Great for when I'm a tourist in a town but could give or care less for where I live.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times
Quote:
I think were still 6th but city population isn't really that meaningful, go by metro rank, were around 13th based on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area