Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 09:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,923,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Do you know how different that is compared to the rest of the state though? Phoenix is very white-washed as a whole compared to other cities and towns in the states, the only exception is the very rich suburbs you have listed (which half are retiree-filled to be fair). I believe Sedona and Prescott has similar demographics.

Yeah I'm fourth generation Phoenician, my immediate family members are starting to move out though my extended family will always be here. My father is a U of A alumni like I will soon be, and he also loves it down here and always tries to visit me on his days off. I got him to fall in love with Eegee's so that might be why, haha.

I mean most people don't go outside during the day for our hottest five months of the year. At most they walk to their car and back doing whatever. I walk around 3 miles a day or so even during the summer, so I don't hide in it either in fact I'd argue that I spend more time outdoors at high noon than most Arizonans, but seriously summers are not fun here (exceptions of the "Green Belt" and Sky Islands). Day time, anyway (as I said earlier I like summer nights). I've learned to tolerate it out of sheer necessity, but it's not something I enjoy. I mean at first the heat is brutal and then after spending some 10+ minutes walking it doesn't seem so bad anymore even with a heavy backpack on. So our heat isn't the worst thing to ever exist, I'd rather walk three miles at high noon in July here in Arizona than three miles at high noon in July in New Orleans. I actually like the cold and I don't get cold very easily at all, Flagstaff would better suit my weather preferences. But that's what's so great about Arizona, even if I didn't want to leave the state (I do but it's not really relevant in this thread) there are places I can look to live that would satisfy my preferences. A lot of states don't nearly have this much diversity.

My dad was also a U of A alumni. It was the reason we moved to Tucson. He worked for Hughes after that for a couple of years and then we moved to SoCal for his work.

I knew what you meant. lol Was just joshing you. I totally agree with the highlighted part. I wouldn't make it a mile in New Orleans heat and humidity! I lived one winter in Flagstaff, years ago, and said that was enough for me. I've lived in colder and snowier places since but still avoid Flagstaff in winter. A couple of years ago I spent a weekend at Mormon Lake Lodge in August. It rained the whole time and I nearly froze to death. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:31 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,837,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I knew what you meant. lol Was just joshing you. I totally agree with the highlighted part. I wouldn't make it a mile in New Orleans heat and humidity! I lived one winter in Flagstaff, years ago, and said that was enough for me. I've lived in colder and snowier places since but still avoid Flagstaff in winter. A couple of years ago I spent a weekend at Mormon Lake Lodge in August. It rained the whole time and I nearly froze to death. lol
I can't even make it a few blocks in New Orleans. I visit there a lot and I'm telling you... some things just aren't meant to be done. As pretty as the French Quarter is I can't spend all day walking it without looking like I just jumped out of a pool with my clothes on. Usually when I walk a lot here my back gets really sweaty. I hate sweating which I think is why I dislike the heat more than most people. I somehow manage to function here despite that.

Flagstaff weather is great but snows too much. Less snow and it would be fantastic. I mean I know that's good for Snowbowl and all but it's like... 100" a year? Really? And into April? Is that really necessary?

I like Mormon Lake! Though I haven't been there during a rainy period. Usually what happens is whenever it rains in Arizona, wherever it is, I'm not there. It could rain in Scottsdale but I'm stuck in Glendale. It could rain in Tucson and that's the one weekend I went home. It could snow on Mount Lemmon and it's when I'm in Phoenix for the holidays. Phoenix could get a haboob (which I love to watch) and I would be in Tucson. Whenever something exciting (meaning not sunny and cloudless) here is in Arizona it's wherever I am not. Starting to believe I'm cursed.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:06 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I can't even make it a few blocks in New Orleans. I visit there a lot and I'm telling you... some things just aren't meant to be done. As pretty as the French Quarter is I can't spend all day walking it without looking like I just jumped out of a pool with my clothes on. Usually when I walk a lot here my back gets really sweaty. I hate sweating which I think is why I dislike the heat more than most people. I somehow manage to function here despite that.

Flagstaff weather is great but snows too much. Less snow and it would be fantastic. I mean I know that's good for Snowbowl and all but it's like... 100" a year? Really? And into April? Is that really necessary?

I like Mormon Lake! Though I haven't been there during a rainy period. Usually what happens is whenever it rains in Arizona, wherever it is, I'm not there. It could rain in Scottsdale but I'm stuck in Glendale. It could rain in Tucson and that's the one weekend I went home. It could snow on Mount Lemmon and it's when I'm in Phoenix for the holidays. Phoenix could get a haboob (which I love to watch) and I would be in Tucson. Whenever something exciting (meaning not sunny and cloudless) here is in Arizona it's wherever I am not. Starting to believe I'm cursed.
I know what you mean! The one weekend I was in California (of all places), there was an earthquake in AZ. How funny is that?

That's one thing that is amazing about this metro area; the weather can differ so much from one side or the other. I live in central Phoenix where it can be sunny and clear, but my friend in Ahwatukee is dealing with a dust storm or major rain. Or you see clouds in the distance and think it may rain, but you look at the radar and see the clouds are REALLY far away (like 2 hours north) and will never reach where you are. The sky seems to big here, if that makes sense, and those storm clouds seem much closer.

Where I live now, the road floods every time there is a major rain. I have learned the neighbors like to sit outside once the rain stops to wait and watch the person who will need to be towed for crossing the wash; happens every time!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,623,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Where I live now, the road floods every time there is a major rain. I have learned the neighbors like to sit outside once the rain stops to wait and watch the person who will need to be towed for crossing the wash; happens every time!
Who sez we have nuthin to do in Arizona?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:38 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,933,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Just curious, not critical. I was reading the other night about some of the VERY wealthy people who live in Phoenix and I just wondered, what is it about Phoenix, and Arizona in general, that attracts people who can afford to live anywhere?

I live in the Southeast and have never been out west, so I have no idea what it's like out there. I have heard it is a beautiful state, and the climate is good (particularly if you have asthma and allergies, like me),
Is it though? The summers temperatures are extreme by any measure.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:07 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Who sez we have nuthin to do in Arizona?
HAHA! And the news crews usually arrive early, too, to catch the "action".

Old 09-22-2016, 09:14 AM

10,588 posts, read 7,812,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Come on Prickly, you're posting on City-Data, you're literally one or two clicks away from seeing that Scottsdale is 80% white and 20% minority -- the exact same as Apache Junction, for example. It is not one of the whitest places in the state, or the country...
Arizona doesn't even make the top ten for whitest states. The 10 US States That Are More Than 90% White

And why should it? The constantly blazing sun isn't ideal for Pale Riders.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:49 AM

277 posts, read 277,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
In my opinion the Phoenix area is great for either raising kids or retiring. As a young person Phoenix just isn't that appealing. After college most of my friends moved out of state to start their careers. I'm born and raised here and now that I'm in my mid 20s I'm just over living here. I travel back and forth to Atlanta for work and I'm really thinking about just moving to Atlanta and staying there full time for my job. It's a much better city not only for young professionals but white collar jobs are way more plentiful. I also prefer being on the Eastcoast. I guess it just depends on what you want out of a city.

Gotta say I completely disagree.

Maybe 10 years ago that was the case but with all the neighborhoods from Scottsdale, Tempe, Arcadia, Central Phoenix and Roosevelt there are plenty of young neighborhoods that are rapidly increasing in popularity.

In the last 3-5 years there has been dozens of white collar operations opening in the area especially in financials, insurance and Tech. I graduated in 2012 and most of my friends stayed in the area or moved back to it within just a couple years. Not to mention most of the people I know today came to Phoenix from places like the Midwest, California, Pittsburg and all over.

The nightlife is well known and renowned and the outdoor activities are 2nd to none. Unless you live way in the west valley or some other suburb I completely disagree with your assessment.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Arizona doesn't even make the top ten for whitest states. The 10 US States That Are More Than 90% White

And why should it? The constantly blazing sun isn't ideal for Pale Riders.
Phoenix demographics are not the same as the whole state in fact more of the state is minority-majority than Phoenix. Phoenix is very white-washed compared to the rest of the state and if you want proof spend an afternoon in Tucson. The exceptions are the retiree towns like Prescott.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I know what you mean! The one weekend I was in California (of all places), there was an earthquake in AZ. How funny is that?

That's one thing that is amazing about this metro area; the weather can differ so much from one side or the other. I live in central Phoenix where it can be sunny and clear, but my friend in Ahwatukee is dealing with a dust storm or major rain. Or you see clouds in the distance and think it may rain, but you look at the radar and see the clouds are REALLY far away (like 2 hours north) and will never reach where you are. The sky seems to big here, if that makes sense, and those storm clouds seem much closer.

Tucson floods are pretty exciting. Except the I10 is raised so we don't have I17 havoc ensuing down here. Almost if not all our surface streets flood and all the roads entering or leaving Downtown dip down and back up so if you're in DT during a flood you're screwed. You can't get out unless you get on the I-10 in south Tucson then go past the base and go up through east Tucson. All the railroad crossings make it impossible to leave also unless you live in west Tucson.

Yeah if you don't want to deal with nature whatsoever Glendale is the best place to go. Literally nothing happens there. East Valley especially Gilbert seems to get all the good stuff. In Tucson it's also the east side in the foothills and Tanque Verde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area