Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:46 PM

895 posts, read 1,242,056 times

Advertisements

Have someone I know moving to the area from my hometown of Chicago so this isn't for me personally but just a question that I'm curious about.

Scottsdale seemed nice. Tempe didn't spend much time when I was in the area but I've heard has crime issues. Goodyear? Estrella mountain? Chandler? Glendale? Sun city? Peoria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 10:00 PM

576 posts, read 833,957 times
Pretty general question.... Best suburb for what???? Everyone has different wants and needs, and each suburb has it's own unique offerings.

If you want something very generalized with no basis in fact, just peoples opinions with little supporting data, this poll may interest you:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...te-suburb.html

Old 09-24-2016, 10:14 PM

Best suburbs..

*raise a family (schools)

*safeness

*things to do

*shopping

*nightlife

Just generic.. In sure there are areas where people want to be and other areas where people avoid as you posted.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:16 PM

640 posts, read 959,350 times
best place to live is going to be the one that is closest to your job....

Old 09-24-2016, 11:31 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
You need to understand that the city of Phoenix has a lot of area that is suburban in nature. The "best suburb" that meets your criteria may not be a suburb at all.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:35 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,313,080 times
I live in Goodyear. Each year the city surveys residents to assess their satisfaction with the city. The results from 2015 are below. I think this is a better way to gauge than asking best/worst as people are simply going to post their biases about what is best for them, not necessarily what you might be wanting and maybe not even true (there is an almost universal lack of knowledge and rampant stereotyping in Phoenix about parts of the city in which we do not live).

So here is what Goodyear residents think about their city. Maybe others can find an post similar surveys about their 'burbs:

http://www.goodyearaz.gov/home/showdocument?id=13277 (scroll down past the narrative to the tables)

Old 09-25-2016, 10:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Have someone I know moving to the area from my hometown of Chicago so this isn't for me personally but just a question that I'm curious about.

Scottsdale seemed nice. Tempe didn't spend much time when I was in the area but I've heard has crime issues. Goodyear? Estrella mountain? Chandler? Glendale? Sun city? Peoria?
Much like any city, parts of Tempe are bad and other parts are really good. Overall though Tempe seems safer than your hometown of Chicago. Especially when it comes to the murder rate.

Tempe:
- Murder Rate in Tempe is 3 per every 100K
- Rape: 61 per every 100K
- Robbery: 114 per every 100K
- Assault: 293 per every 100K

Your hometown of Chicago:

- Murder Rate in Tempe is 15 per every 100K
- Rape: 49 per every 100K
- Robbery: 360 per every 100K
- Assault: 460 per every 100K

Old 09-25-2016, 10:25 AM

Appreciate the stats however they're moving from a nice suburb.. Just easier to say Chicago to get a quick idea. Although they did live on the south side/midway airport at one point.

I'm sure Tempe is fine- I did see it posted with maybe Glendale As top 8 worst crime cities in the country which is a little mind boggling.. I know you get some student related crime (thefts, assault etc) but enough to put it into the top 10?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:27 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Quote:
Appreciate the stats however they're moving from a nice suburb.. Just easier to say Chicago to get a quick idea. Although they did live on the south side/midway airport at one point.

I'm sure Tempe is fine- I did see it posted with maybe Glendale As top 8 worst crime cities in the country which is a little mind boggling.. I know you get some student related crime (thefts, assault etc) but enough to put it into the top 10?
It's an urban area, probably one of the most in the area. It's just a problem of student crime mixed with a concentration of people in a small area. Tempe is perfectly safe.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
Quote:

Every story has two sides And as you mentioned, different parts of the same city can have very different crime rates. Our part of Tempe is very quiet and has little crime.

Glendale, Tempe Disagree with Ranking as Top 10 Most Dangerous Suburbs

Anyways, as others have said, your question remains far too broad and without any additional details on their job status, lifestyle, etc... it's pretty much impossible to recommend a best city for them. Every person/family has different wants in life and that will drive what makes their best location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area