Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:15 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Well, I spoke too soon about the price of my DSL... I went to pay the bill today and discovered it had gone up to $65. So I contacted them to find out why and was told I had been on a 1 year introductory price and the year was up.

The speed has been very consistent at 18 down and 1 up. I have checked it numerous times over the past year and it was always right on the money. It went down only once a few days after they hooked me up. They sent a repair tech out and he found a loose connection on the pole. It has been up ever since (1 year). The only hiccups I have had have been with the modem / router (all in one). The wireless gets slow every once in a while.... usually only lasts a couple of minutes then speeds up on it's own. That has happened maybe 4 or 5 times in the last year.

Overall, I have been extremely satisfied with Century Link. Going to have to reevaluate the value though now that they are going to charge me $65.
I pay 65 for 50 down and I get around 12 up on some days fwiw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 11:20 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,465,451 times
Quote:
Well, I spoke too soon about the price of my DSL... I went to pay the bill today and discovered it had gone up to $65. So I contacted them to find out why and was told I had been on a 1 year introductory price and the year was up.

The speed has been very consistent at 18 down and 1 up. I have checked it numerous times over the past year and it was always right on the money. It went down only once a few days after they hooked me up. They sent a repair tech out and he found a loose connection on the pole. It has been up ever since (1 year). The only hiccups I have had have been with the modem / router (all in one). The wireless gets slow every once in a while.... usually only lasts a couple of minutes then speeds up on it's own. That has happened maybe 4 or 5 times in the last year.

Overall, I have been extremely satisfied with Century Link. Going to have to reevaluate the value though now that they are going to charge me $65.
Thanks for the info. Makes sense you're getting consistent speed given DSL technology.

I did see the special 12 mo introductory rate which seemed fair but that is pricey for your speed after the 12mo. Guessing it's worth a try to work with them on price. I do that all the time with Cox.

Using the 5ghz wireless band has helped my speed quite a bit. Much less crowded than 2.4 band. For now anyways. Playing with wireless channels/getting an app to see where your neighbors are in regards to what wireless channel they are using can help tweak things a bit.

I have preferred cox 50Mbps/paying $63 or so a month and get around 55/60Mbps down, about 8 up running wireless(5ghz) so I can't complain. Having a decent rated/higher end wireless router I've found helps quite a bit on the wireless end.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:10 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
Quote:

Call and threaten to cancel or ask for a new deal. Centurylink will always deal with you as long as your ok being under contract. Your introductory rate wasn't even all that good. I am paying $25 monthly for 40mb service with centurylink, it will go to $35 next year, it was a 2 year deal.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:49 PM

576 posts, read 830,670 times
Thanks for all the info guys.... This is good ammunition for when I call them.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,157 times
I'm with Centurylink and chose to pay the $40 a month for 20mb with no contract. I bought a modem for $40, and the only problems Ive had in 6 months was twice it went out for a couple hours in the middle of the night. I called and was told "they had to dispatch a repair crew to AZ" Sounded like BS to me, but I think I just went and rented a movie and was good when it was over.

I went to Cox and looked into those deals. The fine print, is all those prices that say for the for first 12 months, then go up FIFTY bucks a month for the next 12. I'm not sure after that, at that point it didn't matter to me. Then you add in the modem fees, dvr rental fees, dvr service fees, you're adding another IIRC $30-$35 a month.

I've been pretty happy with my over the air antenna (mohu leaf $50 one time) that picks up all these
American TV Listings Guide for What's On Television Tonight
and slingtv that's $25 a month with no contract.
when there is just nothing on to watch I pick something from my list off Netflix, that's $10 a month.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:31 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,889 times
I would love to drop Cox. I'd just upgraded my 4G phone plan to unlimited. I have a micro-usb to HDMi converter cable, so I can view my phone screen on any TV. Add a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and there you go.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:40 AM

38 posts, read 41,389 times
This is nuts! Another price hike within the same year?

I'm definitely going to downgrade my speeds now.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:10 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
My Cox Statement arrived yesterday . . .

Another increase along with diminished quality . . . $25 higher than the previous month.

I will be watching this thread very closely hoping for a Plan B alternative.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 AM

394 posts, read 343,004 times
I have no direct knowledge - but I suspect Cox is aware that competition is on the horizon... They are trying to lock in commitments (extended contracts) for discounted rates) and gouging short or no contract users while they can...

I've seen it happen in CA.

They have completely reneged on promo rate for my new service... I need to go into local brick & mortar to work something out... I'm committing to nothing.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:45 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Google cannot come any faster. Cox gets earfuls from me, at my introductory rate I let a lot of things slide, when they felt hat they deserved a $50 raise my tune changed because they didn't. But they got a $15 raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area