Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,007,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
The only way Phoenix gets a good skyline is Sky Harbor Airport gets moved outside the city limits.
The placement of the airport is probably one of the most positive things going for the City, I doubt it will get moved. Taller buildings can be built, just not in the flight path.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:48 AM

3,412 posts, read 4,682,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The placement of the airport is probably one of the most positive things going for the City, I doubt it will get moved. Taller buildings can be built, just not in the flight path.
Well, I do like the location of the airport since it's centralized. That's the biggest positive about it.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:57 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,007,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Well, I do like the location of the airport since it's centralized. That's the biggest positive about it.
Public Transportation. It's key for those of us who travel a lot, screw parking fees I'll hop on the train.

If you're around it a lot, you'll also notice the amount of out of state corporate campuses set up along the 202/143, the airport's location is the reason.

I don't really think we even need taller buildings, we just need more of them to fill in the gaps, from the freeway, where most of us see the skyline, it looks thin and small.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:04 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,359,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Agreed the mountain cameras on South Mountain make the Downtown area look pretty impressive. It's the view we all see from i10/202 that looks puny.
A nice spot to see the downtown is at 24th St and Lincoln. South Mountain gives a nice backdrop

Old 10-15-2016, 01:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,722,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
A nice spot to see the downtown is at 24th St and Lincoln. South Mountain gives a nice backdrop
Another great vantage point of downtown was the old Rio Salado Park which was at 9th St and Elwood in South Phoenix, the park was closed by the city around 10 years ago, but I got some great pictures of downtown from there when it was still around

Old 10-16-2016, 06:09 PM

8,056 posts, read 12,345,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
It will never happen.
Wasn't there someone proposing a tall building at the corner of 24th Street and Camelback a few years ago? I don't remember the details, but it got shot down pretty quick. There are too many NIMBY's who are opposed to tall skyscrapers here. Although I have to admit, for a metro of 4 million ~ 4½ million people, our skyline leaves a lot to be desired.
The building proposed for the Camelback East area which was shot down would have been at 28th Street & Camelback. It was a 20 story building proposed by none other than the Donald Trump Corporation. The NIMBYs who lived around there were up in arms because they didn't want "their" mountain views blocked. In reality, it wouldn't have made much difference because many of the buildings in that area are 10 to 15 stories anyway ... a 20 story structure is barely a highrise, and definitely not a skyscraper, but it wouldn't have been out of place at all for that location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
A cities skyline is not that big of a deal, its just something you see on pictures or something you see when you are driving into town.. the different amenities in downtown Phoenix is what makes it a cool place, a couple urban shopping districts, sports venues, light rail, plenty of restaurants shops and bars along 1st and Central ave's.
Phoenix has a better downtown area than 10+ years ago because of the things you mentioned, such as light rail, CityScape, sports venues, etc. ... however, the downtown core should also be a place where corporate HQs are located, whether it's global, national, or regional. This is one thing still heavily lacking downtown. A skyline is a big deal because it enhances a city's image, and portrays energy, success, and prestige. It doesn't mean we have to be like NYC or Chicago, but it is somewhat embarrassing when much smaller cities have more majestic skylines, making ours look very small townish in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Its not a really urban city however so its not expected to have a huge and active downtown.
Nonsense! Lots of cities in the western U.S. aren't very urban, but they have bustling downtowns with nice skylines. A few that come to mind are San Diego, Denver, Austin, Dallas, and Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I'm glad there is nothing to really distract from the natural mountain skyline.
Maybe I'd agree more with this if Phoenix actually had true mountains, and not a bunch of low elevation brown hills. Other cities in desert environments have much taller & prettier mountain backdrops, such as Tucson & Vegas.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,774,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Maybe I'd agree more with this if Phoenix actually had true mountains, and not a bunch of low elevation brown hills. Other cities in desert environments have much taller & prettier mountain backdrops, such as Tucson & Vegas.
Uh huh.... sure, they're just hills, I'd like to see you huff and puff up a few of them for an hour and tell me again how they're just hills.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:18 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,007,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Uh huh.... sure, they're just hills, I'd like to see you huff and puff up a few of them for an hour and tell me again how they're just hills.
Id have to agree with the guy just a bit. Outside of Camelback and Piestewa, the "mountains" here in the city limits aren't really mountains, they are more hill-like for sure. Now the McDowells and Superstitions and White Tanks, etc... THOSE are mountains. The Phoenix Mountains should be renamed to the Phoenix Hills. Seriously. Drive along the 51 up by Northern Ave and tell me those are "mountains" (minus Piestewa Pk).

Old 10-17-2016, 08:36 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,409,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Id have to agree with the guy just a bit. Outside of Camelback and Piestewa, the "mountains" here in the city limits aren't really mountains, they are more hill-like for sure. Now the McDowells and Superstitions and White Tanks, etc... THOSE are mountains. The Phoenix Mountains should be renamed to the Phoenix Hills. Seriously. Drive along the 51 up by Northern Ave and tell me those are "mountains" (minus Piestewa Pk).
I agree, while technically the mountains in Phoenix are mountains, their prominences are not that spectacular, except for maybe Camelback. The Santa Catalina's have a prominence over 5,000 feet, nearly a mile higher than the valley below. I always wondered what the Phoenix metroplex would be like, if instead of South Mountain they had something like Mt. Lemmon and the Santa Catalina's in its place?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,359,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Really? We are going to start to argue over what a mountain is and what a hill is? Let's not and say we did.

By definition, the Phoenix Mountains are indeed mountains

moun·tain
ˈmount(ə)n/
noun
a large natural elevation of the earth's surface rising abruptly from the surrounding level; a large steep hill.

Last edited by ElleTea; 10-17-2016 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area