Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
If Camelback and Piestawa are "real mountains" so is South Mountain which has a higher prominence then both of those, also you leave off the most prominent range in Phoenix, the Sierra Estrella.
Higher elevations don't really mean squat, dude. Some states' highest points (ie IL, NB, etc) are flat as a pancake. South Mountain might have higher elevation than Camelback, but its base-to-summit is much smaller. I have a German coworker who moved here and chuckles at the fact that South Mountain is called a mountain. He says "that's a hill in Germany". I agree. Most of the "mountains" within the city are just large, rocky hills.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Higher elevations don't really mean squat, dude. Some states' highest points (ie IL, NB, etc) are flat as a pancake. South Mountain might have higher elevation than Camelback, but its base-to-summit is much smaller. I have a German coworker who moved here and chuckles at the fact that South Mountain is called a mountain. He says "that's a hill in Germany". I agree. Most of the "mountains" within the city are just large, rocky hills.
Dude, re-read what I said. I quoted prominence, not max elevation... SHEESH.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
PIR is a different case, it is at the edge of the reservation and right next to Avondale, the Estrella's on the other hand are much further out of the way. I bet you consider the Lewis prison to be in the metro as well (the one on 85 between Buckeye and Gila Bend)
I consider the entire WORLD part of Metro Phoenix, there was just an article about this. Get with the times...

Old 10-18-2016, 01:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Uh huh.... sure, they're just hills, I'd like to see you huff and puff up a few of them for an hour and tell me again how they're just hills.
I'd like to see you huff and puff on REAL mountains. Ever hike in the Bradshaws, Escudilla Mountain in eastern AZ, or the San Juan Mountains in Colorado? Now, those are true mountains: tall and majestic with real wilderness, not just low lying brown hills in the middle of a large metro area. Obviously, many amateurs can't even handle our so called mountain trails when paramedics have to constantly rescue their overheated rumps, wasting the paramedics' time, as well as wasting our tax dollars!

Old 10-18-2016, 02:30 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,021,364 times
Quote:
If Camelback and Piestawa are "real mountains" so is South Mountain which has a higher prominence then both of those, also you leave off the most prominent range in Phoenix, the Sierra Estrella.

The sierra range tops everything else in the valley for prominence at 3,215 feet. South Mountain beats out Camelback, Superstitions, McDowells and Piestawa which doesn't even make the top 100 list for prominence in Arizona.

The mountains we have here are just perfect if you ask me, we've got great access issues thanks to zero national forest existence and you can put together epic hikes/bike rides right in the middle and all around the country's 12th largest metro area. There are very few other large cities in the country where that can be accomplished.
Although way far east, we have the Four Peaks. That's a beautiful mountain range.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:32 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'd like to see you huff and puff on REAL mountains. Ever hike in the Bradshaws, Escudilla Mountain in eastern AZ, or the San Juan Mountains in Colorado? Now, those are true mountains: tall and majestic with real wilderness, not just low lying brown hills in the middle of a large metro area. Obviously, many amateurs can't even handle our so called mountain trails when paramedics have to constantly rescue their overheated rumps, wasting the paramedics' time, as well as wasting our tax dollars!
I hiked Kendrick in the San Francisco's back in September of 06. Trail is 4.5 miles one way with a 2,000ft elevation gain (8,000 base, 10,000 summit)

Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
"real" wilderness lol.... when a rattler bites your ass you'll feel like you're in the wild reallly damn quick.

I've hiked/biked in 25 states and 5 countries, grew up in Utah and spent countless weekends all over the "real wilderness" in WY, ID, NM, CO, NV and many other places. I'll be logging over 250,000' of vertical this year and it's an off year for me due to some medical issues. Phoenix is a killer homebase for outdoor lovers who also need a day job.

As a native I'd expect you to know much more about the valley's "hills" but a lot of people never bother to open their eyes.

Happy trails amigo

Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Although way far east, we have the Four Peaks. That's a beautiful mountain range.
4 peaks is awesome, love the view from the top of browns after you hit the treeline. I've got a lot of friends in the middle of the country who would give anything to have something like 4 peaks as close as we do here.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I hiked Kendrick in the San Francisco's back in September of 06. Trail is 4.5 miles one way with a 2,000ft elevation gain (8,000 base, 10,000 summit)
Have you done humphrys yet?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,649,465 times
Quote:
Have you done humphrys yet?
No, probably won't anytime soon either, is Humphrey's like Agassiz where you can't go past the tree line in summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area