Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:34 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,378,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In fact, I doubt if very many people have even heard of Sitka, Alaska!
Signing of the Alaska purchase took place there on October 18, 1867. When I hear the name Sitka, I always think of Russia and the cathedral there.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,986,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Then speak for yourself.

Not only does Arizona and Phoenix have its own culture, it has multiple cultural areas that differ depending on what part of the state or valley you are in.

What you said is like saying California only has one culture, or all of New York's burrows are the same thing.
*boroughs*

Unless NYC is populated by gophers, of course.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:12 PM

277 posts, read 277,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Wonderful link!

What I find interesting is that the Los Angeles Urban area has a higher density than the NYC Urban area! (granted, the NYC area also contains Long Island, Newark, NJ, and Connecticut). Still, crazy how it averages out.
Well eastern cities are extremely dense into he center but then rapidly fade out to incredibly un-dense suburbs.

Western cities have a fairly constant density right up to the edge LA doesn't have a huge center like Chicago and New York but the medium density sprawl goes for miles and miles.

In my experience no other city I've been to yet gives the same unending imposing feeling I get in Los Angeles. Even New York and Chicago thin out pretty rapidly.

Maybe Beijing.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:06 AM

511 posts, read 403,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
You must be joking.
Well, tell me about anything we've had to offer up in say, the last decade... other than the Jodi Arias case and tired, repetitive Sheriff Joe stories.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:25 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,984,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Well, tell me about anything we've had to offer up in say, the last decade... other than the Jodi Arias case and tired, repetitive Sheriff Joe stories.
There's more to culture than being on TV.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
There's more to culture than being on TV.
Indeed, but that's all AZ has come up with.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:15 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:
Indeed, but that's all AZ has come up with.
For the record, I'm not going to respond in such a long written out post because this comment is just too ignorant to waste time and energy furthering any debate.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,331,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Little Landlocked L.A. with dry heat and snowbirds.
without the

1. crime
2. barrios/ghettos
3. smog
4. multi generations of family members sharing homes because they can't afford to live there
5. freeways with potholes
6. homeless
7. traffic

I'm from L.A. Television makes it look glamorous but it's anything but glamorous. Phoenix may be smaller but it's more upscale than L.A. overall. That's why people from L.A. move here to escape their problems. The quality of life in L.A. is terrible unless you are a millionaire

Old 10-05-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
For the record, I'm not going to respond in such a long written out post because this comment is just too ignorant to waste time and energy furthering any debate.
It's not ignorant. I've lived here for way to long to be ignorant. I'm really trying hard to contemplate what Phoenix has to offer up in cultural shifts right now. All I can come up with is self-driving cars are being developed (only in part, mind you) here and that will have a huge cultural impact when it becomes the norm.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,349,782 times
Quote:
It's not ignorant. I've lived here for way to long to be ignorant. I'm really trying hard to contemplate what Phoenix has to offer up in cultural shifts right now. All I can come up with is self-driving cars are being developed (only in part, mind you) here and that will have a huge cultural impact when it becomes the norm.
Once in awhile you should get out of Allwhitetukee (your choice of monikers, not mine).

Phoenix's culture is rich with the distinguishing characteristics of:

-Several native tribes (which are different from each other),
-The Mexicans who settled this land long before white Europeans did,
-The cowboys and investors who built the ranch culture,
-Farmers who came here and grew cotton and oranges,
-Miners who dug for everything from copper to turquoise,
-Middle-class whites who flooded the area post-WWII,
-The mostly Midwest retirees who followed them largely attracted by the almost constant sunshine.

Did I forget anyone? It's quite a mixture. Culture diversity at its most complex if you look past skin color to see the many reasons why different people are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area