Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:18 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,867,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Just saw this article. I had to post it here!

New Study Finds Most Of Earth
Man I love the Onion! True news!

Old 10-08-2016, 03:41 PM

7,193 posts, read 4,788,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Metro Houston is bigger than Metro Phoenix. And they have higher humidity.
And it's in Texas

Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,368,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
The violent crime rate in Phoenix is higher than it is in the city of Los Angeles.

We have plenty of barrios and ghettos. They might not be as notorious as the ones occupied by some of neighbors to the west, but they're there.

We definitely have smog. We are no coming up on brown cloud season, where the mountains are ringed by brown soot and the air smells faintly of gasoline.

We have homeless people everywhere. I've seen homeless in Gilbert and North Scottsdale.

According to posters here, our traffic is basically in line with LA.
Well, if there nothing here but these things you disparage, then I guess you're happy you are (or soon going to be) new2colo. Good luck to you. Enjoy the snow!

Old 10-09-2016, 12:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,090,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Ummmm... that's not what people mean when they say "Place x has no culture". They're talking about the developing culture now and it's contributions to the world, not the legacies of its immigrants/transplants.

What you're talking about, every place with friggin' people has, every population brings their heritage in and has the contributions of its natives. Big whoop. That's distinctly different than the Miami arts movement, the Hip Hop movement in Brooklyn, the LBGT scene in San Fransisco, skater/surfer culture of SoCal, etc., etc., etc.

When I first got here, I heard the joke, "What's the difference between Phoenix and yogurt? Yogurt has culture." I laughed. Later I tried to find the music scene here and it got less funny really quickly. Phoenix has nothing new, nothing unifying, nothing specific to Phoenix. It's just a bunch of transplants clinging to their old ways and doing squat to make the city any sort of identity other then a jumbled closet of people from different places.
No, you're completely the opposite of what it is. If you only talk about what's new and developing you are referring to fads and trends. The legacy and what has stuck around is the culture.

Culture | Definition of Culture by Merriam-Webster
Quote:
:Simple Definition of culture
: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time
: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.
: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business).

Old 10-11-2016, 01:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,567,247 times
I was surprised how active the city is, i started traveling here last year to visit my girls family and fell in love with the place and we now been here probably 4 times this year

Just in the outer neighborhoods of Phoenix i saw plenty of pedestrian activity, people on this site make it seem like its one big suburban ghost town which is very false...

Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 PM

Los Angeles is a really cool place but it is nothing like Phoenix at all, they are both their own thing honestly.

L.A is a huge city with a lot going on, way more gritty areas but thats not a bad thing... its a big city so it cant help it and the traffic is unbelievably worst than Phoenix traffic... i have driven in the rush hours of both cities and L.A is just insane... constant gridlock everywhere... in Phoenix the traffic is heavy but you can at least drive faster than 15 mph without stopping every 5 seconds lol..

Phoenix is more of a big Palm Springs tbh

Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM

656 posts, read 818,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Los Angeles is a really cool place but it is nothing like Phoenix at all, they are both their own thing honestly.

L.A is a huge city with a lot going on, way more gritty areas but thats not a bad thing... its a big city so it cant help it and the traffic is unbelievably worst than Phoenix traffic... i have driven in the rush hours of both cities and L.A is just insane... constant gridlock everywhere... in Phoenix the traffic is heavy but you can at least drive faster than 15 mph without stopping every 5 seconds lol..

90 minutes to travel 19 miles from Santa Monica to Studio City, or 4.7mph. Enjoy.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:42 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,896,209 times
Quote:

Sitting in Palm Springs (population 45,000), I can honestly say that's the most hilarious thing I've read in a long while.

Palm Springs is so tiny it's like a gay Mayberry (Gayberry? )

Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,766,495 times
Quote:

LOL Yes, Palm Springs with it's 4 major pro sports teams, downtown areas, and population of around 5 million? Makes perfect sense to me!

Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Sitting in Palm Springs (population 45,000), I can honestly say that's the most hilarious thing I've read in a long while.

Palm Springs is so tiny it's like a gay Mayberry (Gayberry? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
LOL Yes, Palm Springs with it's 4 major pro sports teams, downtown areas, and population of around 5 million? Makes perfect sense to me!
"big Palm Springs"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area