Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:36 PM

37 posts, read 72,465 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I hope that this isn't inappropriate to post here and if so, can the mods please move to the correct forum.

I am trying to sell my home in Central Phoenix, and the realtor that I am working with is completely useless. They were great to find a property to buy but they cannot sell to save their lives.

I am looking for a GREAT realtor who primarily works in Central Phoenix and has a great track record selling properties.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to PM me the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 01:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hays0023 View Post
Hi everyone,

I hope that this isn't inappropriate to post here and if so, can the mods please move to the correct forum.

I am trying to sell my home in Central Phoenix, and the realtor that I am working with is completely useless. They were great to find a property to buy but they cannot sell to save their lives.

I am looking for a GREAT realtor who primarily works in Central Phoenix and has a great track record selling properties.

If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to PM me the details.

It's OK to post this here, and you are correct to ask for suggestions only by PM, as realtor recommendations cannot be posted in the forums.

Have you noticed particular names appearing frequently on for sale signs in your area? That would be another place to start.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:32 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,977,322 times
A few of the big name listing agents are kind of scammers, who will simply get you to lower the price, and they will make easy money. See who has recent success in your area...look at the glossy magazines..and you will see some of the better listing agentts as well as some of the scammers. Avoid the ones who will price unrealistically high, but the ones that start lowballing you from square 1 are worse.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:26 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,700,081 times
Not sure what you expect a "great" agent to actually do vs. a "bad" agent?

If you've already set the price way to high, or exposed the home to the market via MLS with bad pictures, or looking shabby, the damage is done & the only thing a "good" agent will advise you do is to clean it up, re-shoot decent pics & drop the price..

Much of what a "good" agent does is just advising *you* to de clutter, fluff & help pick the right price.

best bet if you can, is to pull it off the market till spring & try again, doing things the right way.

"Great" agents and "terrible" agents all use the same MLS system, it's not like anyone has a stash of rich, silly buyers they can just unleash on a crappy listing & "make" it sell.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:35 PM

in my opinion, great agent would be a) proven track record of selling b) willingness to show the property c) hold open houses, etc

The current agency that I have been working with refuses to do an open house, hasn't done any marketing and has not followed-up with any of the potential buyers who have come through. They don't do any follow up with me as the seller and has continued to lie to me about showings (have the house wired with cameras that they don't know about and have told me that they frequently show it although the haven't).

Basically they are terrible to work with and lazy.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:41 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,700,081 times
Quote:
in my opinion, great agent would be a) proven track record of selling b) willingness to show the property c) hold open houses, etc

The current agency that I have been working with refuses to do an open house, hasn't done any marketing and has not followed-up with any of the potential buyers who have come through. They don't do any follow up with me as the seller and has continued to lie to me about showings (have the house wired with cameras that they don't know about and have told me that they frequently show it although the haven't).

Well, I sold one of my houses a couple months ago in 7 days, setting a new high "comp" for that neighborhood - a full $30k above model matches that didn't look as nice or had bad pictures in the MLS. There was no "follow up" with any lookers (they liked it or they didn't), there weren't many showings - 3 or 4 if I remember correctly, and no open houses at all. I cleaned the place till it looked new, then sent in cleaners to clean some more. And my agent (me!), hired a professional photographer to take good, well lighted photos of the place, but there wasn't *any* additional "marketing" - as a buyer, any time I find myself on a "marketing" email list, I block the sender - there wasn't even a yard sign, I personally think putting those up on a vacant house is a great way to get your appliances stolen. And as for a "proven track record of selling", nope- that was the first house I ever sold in Phoenix. The broker with possibly the best "proven track record of selling" in Phoenix advised me to list the property at the same price as the ugly houses. Maybe I got lucky. I'm a firm believer in the power of listing on the MLS, and I think nearly all of the "additional marketing" that agents claim to do is just fluff. The stuff that works is what the seller does - emptying the place of distractions, cleaning like you have OCD & painting like you just joined the navy (paint anything that isn't actively moving).

Old 10-02-2016, 05:25 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Quote:

Just curious, but it's an honest question : did you hire a discount broker or negotiate a discounted commission?

Old 10-02-2016, 02:39 PM

They actually offered me a discounted commission (not by much 5.5% vs 6%).

Old 10-03-2016, 08:46 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Quote:
They actually offered me a discounted commission (not by much 5.5% vs 6%).
And how was that discount dustributed between the buyer and the listing agents?

BTW - be glad they aren't having open houses. All they do is attract your neighbors, curiosity crawlers and dirt on the bottom of their feet. A broker's open house might be worthwhile.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:31 AM

197 posts, read 271,603 times
Heres the nasty truth about real estate in Phoenix right now. The truth that Realtors are afraid to admit bc it affects their livelihood.

For middle class homes, it takes no special realtor talent to sell. Open houses are a waste of time.
Open houses are not used to get buyers, they are used by realtors to obtain leads for future clients.

Marketing in magazines, flyers, etc are also a waste of time and money.

99% of buyers who are qualified are already working with a realtor and are looking on MLS.

You seem to be looking for a realtor who would be searching out the 1% of buyers out there. Not worth it.

If your house is on MLS and has GOOD pictures and a FAIR likely appraised value list price, that's really all you need. And do not pay the full 6% commission. 4-5% is fine, with 1-2% going to the listing agent.

If your house is not selling, it's due to price and/or condition of your home not being high demand. It has nothing to do with your realtor not selling it.

(PS...and I have a real estate license and do quite well. This is just the reality of real estate right now for middle class homes in Phoenix)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: