Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:05 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,761,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
At least a few rats give their asses because the voters continually support people who are for developing downtown.

You're view is too narrow, developing the core is crucial to competing for top jobs, talent and population growth. It's a few flakes of snow in a growing snowball that is starting to roll downhill now. And this type of subsidy is not unique to here.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority on Thursday approved a $7.8 million tax break for a massive development at the former Filene’s property, a deal officials said will help lure a new mix of stores and office tenants to downtown Boston.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...sdK/story.html

Study Details Cost of Tax Break for Luxury Manhattan Condo
One57 developer got $66 million in 421-a tax abatements in return for $5.9 million in affordable housing
Study Details Cost of Tax Break for Luxury Manhattan Condo - WSJ

Downtown Boulder affordable-housing project approved for tax credits
Downtown Boulder affordable-housing project approved for tax credits - BizWest
phoenix has done quite well for both jobs and population growth with a "dead" downtown, you can't argue with the facts. Asking other phoenicians to subsidize the lifestyles of the downtown "condo" set is wrong - if they can pay $1000 monthly condo dues, they can (and would) pay a couple hundred more to cover the actual costs to provide city services to those units. Taxes are already ridiculously low here, reducing the tax burden only allows the developer to suck up more pork. Say whatever you want about living downtown, but "the people" already voted with their dollars - by buying homes that weren't downtown.

Boston, manhattan & boulder are actually good reasons to argue against this type of welfare - they have too much tax money coming in to count, so they hand it out to their connected friends who are developers. If you honestly think Boston or Manhattan are cities that aren't "dense" enough, or that the free market wont support density without handouts, you're just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 03:12 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,773,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Say whatever you want about living downtown, but "the people" already voted with their dollars - by buying homes that weren't downtown.
The view from BFE must be dim enough that you can't see the residential building boom that is going on downtown and midtown.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:18 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,761,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The view from BFE must be dim enough that you can't see the residential building boom that is going on downtown and midtown.
If there's a "building boom" in the area, then giving away the land and the tax revenue from it for 50 years really shouldn't be necessary, eh? And btw, if I lived in "BFE", I wouldn't care what the city of Phoenix does with it's tax money, living in the city means some of my tax dollars are being used for this project.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,722,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If there's a "building boom" in the area, then giving away the land and the tax revenue from it for 50 years really shouldn't be necessary, eh? And btw, if I lived in "BFE", I wouldn't care what the city of Phoenix does with it's tax money, living in the city means some of my tax dollars are being used for this project.
Land prices have skyrocketed downtown to the point where it would be cheaper for a low margin business like a grocery store to set up in a different part of the area with lower land prices, that is why a tax subsidy is needed. Only high margin businesses like in tech and finance can weather those higher starting costs subsidy free

Old 10-08-2016, 07:44 AM

61 posts, read 46,305 times
You guys do understand the tax subsidy is for the office tower and residential units right? The cost of setting up a grocery in the bottom level retail is not and should not be subsidised

Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 PM

3,412 posts, read 4,682,594 times
Tax subsidies screams crony capitalism in my book.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:50 PM

13,575 posts, read 7,540,458 times
I went to the new frys market place opened near me the prices are high even higher then when they had been in their older store down the street. Walmart beats their prices on most identical items by 50% I rarely go to Fry's. I go to Sprouts for my produce and meat.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:33 PM

6,409 posts, read 9,040,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Land prices have skyrocketed downtown to the point where it would be cheaper for a low margin business like a grocery store to set up in a different part of the area with lower land prices, that is why a tax subsidy is needed. Only high margin businesses like in tech and finance can weather those higher starting costs subsidy free
Do you actually believe that Fry's, owned by Kroger, cannot afford retail space in downtown Phoenix?

Old 10-08-2016, 05:53 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,507,796 times
ok, looks like the $18M in giveaways is a done deal.

Now will the taxpayers also get a share in the profits for their investment? Wouldn't that seem fair? And no, just the convenience of a store in a neighborhood for people in that region doesn't count as ROI.

Though I'm all for discounted food items for taxpayers who footed the bill to make this all happen that private industry apparently didn't see it a worthwhile endeavor to build this without the taxpayers wallet. That would be fine too.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:58 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,007,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
ok, looks like the $18M in giveaways is a done deal.

Now will the taxpayers also get a share in the profits for their investment? Wouldn't that seem fair? And no, just the convenience of a store in a neighborhood for people in that region doesn't count as ROI.

Though I'm all for discounted food items for taxpayers who footed the bill to make this all happen that private industry apparently didn't see it a worthwhile endeavor to build this without the taxpayers wallet. That would be fine too.
This isn't about the store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area