Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 2,902 times

Advertisements

I graduate from my university next summer with a degree in Management Information Systems, I would like to know how is IT or IS in Phoenix?

What's the dating scene like for a young professional African American male?

I'm thinking of visiting in December, what are some things I should do and where should I go out at night (bars, clubs, strip clubs?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 08:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,774,283 times
There's a a lot of technology jobs here, the loop 101 corridor has companies with great IT companies from North Scottsdale all the way down to Chandler. I don't work in IT but the job prospects seem to vary based on what area you specialize in, I'd checkout LinkedIn and the companies websites to see if they line up with what you're going into.

Loop 101 Quickly Growing into Phoenix’s High Tech Highway | Arizona Builders Exchange

The singles scene seems alive and well to me any Friday or Saturday night in old town, Mill Ave or some parts of downtown Phoenix seems to be a lot of action. I don't spend a ton of time in bars other than sports bars anymore but in my 20's we never ran out of things to do. I'm sure others can chime in better than me on these things.

Good luck figuring it all out.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:26 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,197,350 times
I can't speak for that industry because I don't work in it, thus haven't looked. However, you could do a mock job search, find jobs you would apply for and start mapping where these companies are. First, that will give you an idea of the overall market (just know that the holidays may not paint an accurate picture of available jobs), but second it will give you an idea of where they are. This would give you an idea of where you should look to live, and in terms of what you should do while here, exploring a potential neighborhood should be at the top of your list. For example, if my job were in North Scottsdale, I wouldn't live where I do now because that commute would take up far too much of my time. If you find a large concentration in one part of town, you can stay in a hotel in that area and get a feel for the neighborhood.

To address other questions, I've found dating to be a little harder here than other places, but it's also my mindset. I'm not into casual dating and won't consider someone unless our long-term goals are aligned. My biggest difficulty up until this past spring was that people either intended to relocate to another state, or wanted a more suburban or small town lifestyle than I want. It was more the former though, and you need to understand this town is inherently transient. Visiting in December is fine, but don't assume that weather is year-round like many others do. Bars depend on what your scene is. Dives? Upscale? Neighborhood? Themed? LGBT? Cigars? Nightclubs? Latin? Hip Hop? You need to share more about what your specific interests are. Someone recommended a bar to me, which I checked out and absolutely hated because it was beer only and uncomfortably small.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:14 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,521,781 times
A large percentage of the IT jobs are in the southeast valley, namely Chandler but there is expansion in other areas of the MSA too.

The Phoenix area is growing in this field but there is a lot of competition with California and even cities like Austin and Denver.

If you want to see how Phoenix ranks in the category of tech startups compared to other cities this is a good article to read. The Top 20 US Cities for Tech Startup Funding | Inc.com

Old 10-16-2016, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I can't speak for that industry because I don't work in it, thus haven't looked. However, you could do a mock job search, find jobs you would apply for and start mapping where these companies are. First, that will give you an idea of the overall market (just know that the holidays may not paint an accurate picture of available jobs), but second it will give you an idea of where they are. This would give you an idea of where you should look to live, and in terms of what you should do while here, exploring a potential neighborhood should be at the top of your list. For example, if my job were in North Scottsdale, I wouldn't live where I do now because that commute would take up far too much of my time. If you find a large concentration in one part of town, you can stay in a hotel in that area and get a feel for the neighborhood.

To address other questions, I've found dating to be a little harder here than other places, but it's also my mindset. I'm not into casual dating and won't consider someone unless our long-term goals are aligned. My biggest difficulty up until this past spring was that people either intended to relocate to another state, or wanted a more suburban or small town lifestyle than I want. It was more the former though, and you need to understand this town is inherently transient. Visiting in December is fine, but don't assume that weather is year-round like many others do. Bars depend on what your scene is. Dives? Upscale? Neighborhood? Themed? LGBT? Cigars? Nightclubs? Latin? Hip Hop? You need to share more about what your specific interests are. Someone recommended a bar to me, which I checked out and absolutely hated because it was beer only and uncomfortably small.
Place that has a large number of latin women to be honest lol, i'm not gay, nightclubs are ok, looking at upscale, hip hop or more mature, dress up themed places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area