Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,070,628 times

Advertisements

Pushy people get my goat.

Was in the left turn lane and inched a few feet into the intersection. The van in back starts blowing his horn, waving his arms all over. What the? I finally turned and pulled over on the road. He says he wanted me to go all the way into the intersection, so he could make the light too. Nice, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,594,308 times
I live in California and do it to trigger the traffic lights systems.......some are controlled by both ( Camera ) and embedded magnets.......others just have the embedded magnets technique used to speed up the flow of traffic.

3 Ways to Trigger Green Traffic Lights - wikiHow

http://www.redding.com/news/cop-talk...355127611.html

Old 10-15-2016, 10:42 AM

164 posts, read 184,108 times
Some times it looks like the line of cars waiting for the green arrow is three times longer than it really is because of all the spaces between more than one car waiting. When the green arrow comes on only one or two cars can make the turn because of the wait for the texters to regain consciousness and apply some gas. I have learned to see this and go staight to make the left turn a block or two ahead instead. The navigation map is a big help. There are people who don't realize that they can still make the left after the arrow goes out and the light is solid green. Argh!

Old 10-15-2016, 12:22 PM

164 posts, read 184,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

Was in the left turn lane and inched a few feet into the intersection. The van in back starts blowing his horn, waving his arms all over. What the? I finally turned and pulled over on the road. He says he wanted me to go all the way into the intersection, so he could make the light too. Nice, huh?
I believe he was correct. If you are making a left turn at a green light (not arrow), you pull into the intersection almost even with the lane you will be turning into. Maybe someone knows the answer to this.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:42 PM

61 posts, read 46,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
I believe he was correct. If you are making a left turn at a green light (not arrow), you pull into the intersection almost even with the lane you will be turning into. Maybe someone knows the answer to this.
Yeah this is how you do it. I would have beeped too.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:48 PM

515 posts, read 625,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Maybe they've been rear ended before and don't want to risk rear ending the person in front of them should they get hit.
Maybe they're just a-holes who should get rear ended.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,959,307 times
My next truck is going to have a push bumper.

What I really like though is to get right up close, so my headlights shine through the back window and turn my brights on so it's like daylight in their car.

I think my next truck should have bulletproof glass too.

(I don't really do that. But I could. )

Old 10-15-2016, 07:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
My next truck is going to have a push bumper.

What I really like though is to get right up close, so my headlights shine through the back window and turn my brights on so it's like daylight in their car.

I think my next truck should have bulletproof glass too.

(I don't really do that. But I could. )
bulletproof glass might not be a bad idea if you're intentionally inciting people. Most common handgun rounds will deflect somewhat on a windshield, especially if fired at a steep angle, but you never know.

I leave a car-length ahead of me at red lights so I have room to manuver in case of the unexpected, like a pedestrian turning into a carjacker, or a chain-reaction accident behind you. If you're snuggled up tight to the car ahead of you, you don't have any options- leaving some space means you can either "make a new lane" in an emergency, or pop up onto the sidewalk if you need to. 5 car lengths sounds excessive, but given the hyper-aggressive tone of many of the posts here, i suspect it may be an exaggeration. Do any of you people think that you could leave like 2 minutes earlier & you wouldn't "need" to get mad because everyone else is "wasting" space at red-lights and not driving 90 in a 35 zone?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:42 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,079,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
Yeah this is how you do it. I would have beeped too.
Its called "claiming the intersection" you are SUPPOSED to pull out into the intersection if you have room and will not interfere with traffic. You are supposed to go when its green . When it is yellow you are supposed to stop if you have room BEFORE the stop/crosswalk line. You can not stop in the middle of the intersection while the traffic cycle, (when the light changes and traffic moves from all the other directions), goes through. Therefor you can then legally proceed to finish making your turn once it is safe to do so, even if that is after the light has turned red.

I sat behind a lady last week making a left who just sat there the entire light. I laid on the horn after it went red AGAIN, and she didn't move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
bulletproof glass might not be a bad idea if you're intentionally inciting people. Most common handgun rounds will deflect somewhat on a windshield, especially if fired at a steep angle, but you never know.

I leave a car-length ahead of me at red lights so I have room to manuver in case of the unexpected, like a pedestrian turning into a carjacker, or a chain-reaction accident behind you. If you're snuggled up tight to the car ahead of you, you don't have any options- leaving some space means you can either "make a new lane" in an emergency, or pop up onto the sidewalk if you need to. 5 car lengths sounds excessive, but given the hyper-aggressive tone of many of the posts here, i suspect it may be an exaggeration. Do any of you people think that you could leave like 2 minutes earlier & you wouldn't "need" to get mad because everyone else is "wasting" space at red-lights and not driving 90 in a 35 zone?
You are only supposed to leave enough room so that you can pull around the vehicle in front of you (in case they break down) without putting it in reverse. This is about half a car length.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:16 PM

44,640 posts, read 61,661,969 times
People leaving 2-4 spaces in front of them at stoplights?? Why??

Bad eyesight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area