Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 09:44 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,179,992 times

Advertisements

When stopping behind another vehicle, you're supposed to stop just far enough back so that the point where their rear tires meet the pavement is right above the front edge of your hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 04:54 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,087,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
When stopping behind another vehicle, you're supposed to stop just far enough back so that the point where their rear tires meet the pavement is right above the front edge of your hood.
That's just a to give you a general idea. There is no actual purpose to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
You are only supposed to leave enough room so that you can pull around the vehicle in front of you (in case they break down) without putting it in reverse. This is about half a car length.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,027,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Pushy people get my goat.

Was in the left turn lane and inched a few feet into the intersection. The van in back starts blowing his horn, waving his arms all over. What the? I finally turned and pulled over on the road. He says he wanted me to go all the way into the intersection, so he could make the light too. Nice, huh?
Yes that would be me urging you to go further into the intersection. Actually, that's what you're SUPPOSED to do. Driving tests here in the US are a joke. People don't understand basic driving laws.

Another one that bugs me, you're making a right turn and you sit there when there is NO traffic coming. You're supposed to stop, and when clear proceed with the turn. NOPE, they'll sit there and I have to blow my horn to tell them they can GO. There is no end to my frustration with drivers anywhere. All areas of the country are bad. Most of it is due to inattention at the wheel.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:44 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,759,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Yes that would be me urging you to go further into the intersection. Actually, that's what you're SUPPOSED to do. Driving tests here in the US are a joke. People don't understand basic driving laws.

Another one that bugs me, you're making a right turn and you sit there when there is NO traffic coming. You're supposed to stop, and when clear proceed with the turn. NOPE, they'll sit there and I have to blow my horn to tell them they can GO. There is no end to my frustration with drivers anywhere. All areas of the country are bad. Most of it is due to inattention at the wheel.
It's not mandatory to turn right on red, you can if you choose to. It's the driver's decision, not the di*k behind the driver who is in a big hurry to go nowhere.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Do any of you people think that you could leave like 2 minutes earlier & you wouldn't "need" to get mad because everyone else is "wasting" space at red-lights and not driving 90 in a 35 zone?
Exactly, so many morons that don't understand lights are timed to the speed limit, going 20 over does you zero good, you'll just be sitting at the next light and looking like an asshat as everyone else catches right back up to you.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:45 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,780,834 times
I always wondered this too! Then I started doing it. Why? It's annoying as heck to have to ride up on someone's tail as we all accelerate. I like time to slowly accelerate and gain speed on the person in front of me. Phoenix drivers are very speedy to take off at lights so it's nice to have some squish room.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,780,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post

No just Arizona. Let's talk about the fact that you don't have to go in for an eye examination until you're like 80. Well that's scary. Oh and the part where you don't have to take a written exam to get a license in that state if coming from another state. Let's not even talk about drivers ed requirements.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,858,333 times
So that when they get rear ended they won't rear end the vehicle in front of them.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:40 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,087,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It's not mandatory to turn right on red, you can if you choose to. It's the driver's decision, not the di*k behind the driver who is in a big hurry to go nowhere.
Its not mandatory to go above 2mph on city streets either, I think you are completely wrong if you think that people are doing it because they want to, and not because they are not paying attention, or don't know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Exactly, so many morons that don't understand lights are timed to the speed limit, going 20 over does you zero good, you'll just be sitting at the next light and looking like an asshat as everyone else catches right back up to you.
I speed, and its because usually with a quick acceleration and doing 10-15 more, I make most lights that others don't. Theres a 5 mile drive I take 6 times a week. When I speed and make the lights it takes 5 minutes. When I don't (usually because of traffic), and I miss the FOUR lights, it takes 15 minutes. Do I make the lights every time I speed, Hell no.. But its enough FOR ME, to keep doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
No just Arizona. Let's talk about the fact that you don't have to go in for an eye examination until you're like 80. Well that's scary. Oh and the part where you don't have to take a written exam to get a license in that state if coming from another state. Let's not even talk about drivers ed requirements.
If you have a good point to make then you can keep it real, its 65. As far as the written test, that's the same everywhere else too.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I speed, and its because usually with a quick acceleration and doing 10-15 more, I make most lights that others don't. Theres a 5 mile drive I take 6 times a week. When I speed and make the lights it takes 5 minutes. When I don't (usually because of traffic), and I miss the FOUR lights, it takes 15 minutes. Do I make the lights every time I speed, Hell no.. But its enough FOR ME, to keep doing it.
And I'm sure that you're so important in life that those 10 minutes actually matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area