Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 04:13 PM

13 posts, read 19,494 times

Advertisements

I lived in Texans, North East and Mid-west and now in Phoenix. For some reason I feel the lanes here are narrower. I-17/I-10 and even inner roads where you have 3x3 or 2x2. Is this just my perception or did any one else who moved from a different state feel the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 04:29 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times
I-17/I-10 are interstate highways and should conform to national highways standard lane widths. As for surface streets there are so many variables it's not as clear as 'yes they are narrower here' or 'no they aren't'. I'm from the mid-west originally and everything out here feels nice and wide to me. There are older parts of the valley that may have narrower streets. Pretty much the further out from the core you get the more spread out things are.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:33 AM

511 posts, read 402,126 times
You've obviously never been to Denver. If you do, sell your compensator truck because thems some narrow lanes.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:39 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,774 times
It depends on the street and the highway. I believe Pink Jazz can give the most info but I-17 is narrower than the Arizona state highways (e.g. the Loops) which are wider. Additionally some of the older arterials in Phoenix are narrower than the newer arterials that have been built more recently with the more modern/standard lane widths.

By and large, Phoenix metro is pretty good on lane widths but we do have our narrow spots.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:13 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,240 times
The lanes on the 17 south of Peoria Avenue are 11 feet wide, which is less than the standard of 12 feet. There are other sections of the 10, around junctions with other freeways where the lanes are only 11 feet wide too. 11 feet for freeway lane widths isn't really that rare. In California, 10-11 feet is standard on some older freeways. So Phoenix is not an rare case.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:23 AM

218 posts, read 350,460 times
Arizona state statute for all lanes, freeway and street, is 12 feet.
While most cities do this, for some reason, Phoenix, has very narrow lanes, perhaps 11 feet, except in some of the newer areas like Deer Valley, the North Valleys, and Anthem. I am not sure why Phoenix is allowed narrower lanes, since Arizona's urban planning is heavily controlled by the state.

Yes, California also has narrow lanes, with a few exceptions, as Riverside county requires wider lanes along with Rocklin, CA. And Carlsbad has wider lanes.

Wider streets, that also depends on state, county, and city laws in both AZ and CA.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:06 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Arizona state statute for all lanes, freeway and street, is 12 feet.
While most cities do this, for some reason, Phoenix, has very narrow lanes, perhaps 11 feet, except in some of the newer areas like Deer Valley, the North Valleys, and Anthem. I am not sure why Phoenix is allowed narrower lanes, since Arizona's urban planning is heavily controlled by the state.

Yes, California also has narrow lanes, with a few exceptions, as Riverside county requires wider lanes along with Rocklin, CA. And Carlsbad has wider lanes.

Wider streets, that also depends on state, county, and city laws in both AZ and CA.
The 12 feet standard is the current minimum lane width for Interstate highways specified by AASHTO. The portions of I-10 and I-17 with 11-foot wide lanes were probably grandfathered from an older standard.

And actually, most of the other freeways have standard 12-foot wide lanes. The only freeways with the substandard 11-foot wide lanes include I-10 in central Phoenix, I-17 south of Peoria, the southern portion of SR 51, and I think SR 143.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The 12 feet standard is the current minimum lane width for Interstate highways specified by AASHTO. The portions of I-10 and I-17 with 11-foot wide lanes were probably grandfathered from an older standard.

And actually, most of the other freeways have standard 12-foot wide lanes. The only freeways with the substandard 11-foot wide lanes include I-10 in central Phoenix, I-17 south of Peoria, the southern portion of SR 51, and I think SR 143.
If you look around the US, there are a lot of interstates that have been "grandfathered in" and do not meet current federal interstate highway standards, either median width, lane width, shoulder width, long enough exit/entrance ramps, etc. A great example of this is the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike, both of which have sections not meeting many of the standards, even though they are interstates. The turnpike authority has been reconstructing these original sections bit by bit, oven the last 20 years, doing 2, 3 ,5, 10, or 15 miles at a time. During these reconstructions they are adding a third new lane throughout. It will probably take another 20, 30 or even 40 years before all the original sections will be totally rebuilt.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:59 AM

218 posts, read 350,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you look around the US, there are a lot of interstates that have been "grandfathered in" and do not meet current federal interstate highway standards, either median width, lane width, shoulder width, long enough exit/entrance ramps, etc. A great example of this is the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the Northeast Extension of the PA Turnpike, both of which have sections not meeting many of the standards, even though they are interstates. The turnpike authority has been reconstructing these original sections bit by bit, oven the last 20 years, doing 2, 3 ,5, 10, or 15 miles at a time. During these reconstructions they are adding a third new lane throughout. It will probably take another 20, 30 or even 40 years before all the original sections will be totally rebuilt.
California, in general, another good example such as narrow lanes on the Ventura Fwy, the 101, the nations busiest freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area