Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:48 PM

151 posts, read 107,913 times

Advertisements

Hi, first time poster, here.

My husband and I are Canadians who are hoping to become Arizona snowbirds in the next couple of years. I swear, we don't hog the left lane or drive too slow!!

We own a condo in Chandler right now, but want to sell that and buy a nice little house somewhere outside of Phoenix, with a budget of 200k, give or take 50k. We don't need anything fancy (but a little bit fancy would be nice haha), but something that might at least keep its value over the next ten years would be appreciated.

We know the area south of the 202 pretty well, but north of Phoenix is a mystery. Any advice on good, reasonably priced neighborhoods/towns we should look at? What's the differences between Surprise, Sun City, Peroria, Glendale? I assume we can't afford Scottsdale.

We won't be working, so the only commute we'd need to worry about is the one to Coyote hockey games.

Thanks for your help. :0)

Last edited by Posh66; 11-01-2016 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: It's all in the details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 08:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,669,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post

My husband and I are Canadians who are hoping to become Arizona snowbirds in the next couple of years. I swear, we don't hog the left lane or drive too slow!!

We own a condo in Chandler right now, but want to sell that and buy a nice little house somewhere outside of Phoenix, with a budget of 200k, give or take 50k.

We know the area south of the 202 pretty well, but north of Phoenix is a mystery. Any advice on good, reasonably priced neighborhoods/towns we should look at? We won't be working, so the only commute we'd need to worry about is the one to Coyote hockey games.

There really aren't any suburbs north of Phoenix, unless Anthem and Desert Hills are counted as suburbs

Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 PM

151 posts, read 107,913 times
Haha, I guess that's why we don't know any of them. So just east and west then, huh? Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:16 PM

346 posts, read 551,089 times
We live in Surprise in the master planned community of Marley Park and love, love, love it here! Tree lined streets, lots of architectural diversity (which was important to me; so many f the homes we looked at here looked like all their neighbours - streets and streets of beige stucco fronts and tile roofs), a community clubhouse and poolhouse with two pools, 15 parks connected by an arbor walk (perfect for bike riding, walking or jogging), lots of architectural diversity, and an involved community with lots of clubs and HOA sponsored events that bring people together. We are just minutes away from great restaurants, both chains and lots of great family owned places; just this year has seen the opening of great places featuring everything from pita wraps to southern food to pho - oh, and a local brewpub just opened serving microbrews brewed onsite (as well as elsewhere in AZ) and great, from-scratch food. (And those joined the existing mom and pop places serving great Mexican, French, Japanese, Irish and Chinese food!) There is great medical and dental here in Surprise as well as lots of shopping.

Surprise also has a beautiful, first class library, an aquatic center, a tennis & racquet complex, a stadium (home of the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals during spring training) and lots of community festivals and events. It is also one of the safest cities in Arizona.

I had never even heard of the city of Surprise until a transfer at my husband's work in north Phoenix came open and I am so glad we found it! It really is a little gem of a place.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:20 AM

218 posts, read 351,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMac View Post
We live in Surprise in the master planned community of Marley Park and love, love, love it here! Tree lined streets, lots of architectural diversity (which was important to me; so many f the homes we looked at here looked like all their neighbours - streets and streets of beige stucco fronts and tile roofs), a community clubhouse and poolhouse with two pools, 15 parks connected by an arbor walk (perfect for bike riding, walking or jogging), lots of architectural diversity, and an involved community with lots of clubs and HOA sponsored events that bring people together. We are just minutes away from great restaurants, both chains and lots of great family owned places; just this year has seen the opening of great places featuring everything from pita wraps to southern food to pho - oh, and a local brewpub just opened serving microbrews brewed onsite (as well as elsewhere in AZ) and great, from-scratch food. (And those joined the existing mom and pop places serving great Mexican, French, Japanese, Irish and Chinese food!) There is great medical and dental here in Surprise as well as lots of shopping.

Surprise also has a beautiful, first class library, an aquatic center, a tennis & racquet complex, a stadium (home of the Texas Rangers and Kansas City Royals during spring training) and lots of community festivals and events. It is also one of the safest cities in Arizona.

I had never even heard of the city of Surprise until a transfer at my husband's work in north Phoenix came open and I am so glad we found it! It really is a little gem of a place.
Marley Park is most certainly haunted. I wouldn't recommend it. Its named after The ghost of Jacob Marley on Scrooge.

No! LOL. Just kidding. NOT quite. Its named for the alledgedly corrupt Kemper Marley, deceased, who had huge amounts of land holdings in the area. Then, the story of Marley blowing up the car of investigative journalist, Don Bowled.

Google shows the whole story

Thanks for the description of Marley Park. I get info about that on my real estate feeds, along with Verrado, Vistancia, and Estrella, and Mark Taylor residential.

Last edited by Arizona89A; 11-02-2016 at 03:44 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 03:39 AM

218 posts, read 351,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There really aren't any suburbs north of Phoenix, unless Anthem and Desert Hills are counted as suburbs
Actually, there are at least 300,000 residents north of the 101, east of the 17, and west of the Scottsdale city limits.
Anthem is my favorite master planned development in all of Phoenix. Beautiful mountain views and above the air pollution. Greenbelts and parks, rolling terrain.

Further south, you have Tramanto and communities down along 27th and 19th. The first incidence of homelessness appears to be at Happy valley and 19th. Very sorry to see the homeless, it wasn't true when rents were lower in 2008.

Then, along Cave Creek north of the 101, and Tatum north of the 101, there are numerous subdivisions. On the border of Scottsdale and Phoenix around Dynamite there are subdivisions.

There are realtors who hold open houses in these areas. Drive north from that circle K on 19th and you'll find them.

I did not mention Deer Valley, east and west of the 101. Named by the LDS after Deer Valley, Utah, it features very large homes on large lots, in some areas. Check out the wide streets near the Temple. Beautiful custom homes, wide streets, huge setbacks, its like being in Reno, Ridgecrest, or Palm Springs ! If you are LDS it is a great area as are all of the above. Same if you are fundamentalist or you don't want any crime. The FBI is at 19th and Deer Valley road. Undoubtedly they are tired of crime by the end of the day so would live in these safer areas.

Another benefit to these areas is the Deer Valley schools, and, the proximity to the new Phoenix Sonoran preserve with its hiking, biking, and horse riding.

And, the various Cave Creek area trails, and also the entrances to the Tonto National Forest.

Depending on the op and their politics, note that all of the above are among the most socially conservative areas in Metro Phoenix, along with nearby Cave Creek, Carefree, and along 17 up to Black Canyon City. Some people care about this and others do not. Just thought I'd mention this.

Also, does anyone know why Deer Valley, Arizona did not become its own City? Instead, at some time, it merged with Phoenix.

City data even has its own link for it,

https://www.city-data.com/city/Deer-Valley-Arizona.html

$78000 is a very high income for the Deer Valley region. Thankfully, this even rivals Scottsdale who seems to think they're better than everyone. Lol. But what will really give Scottsdale a run for their money is the zip from the airpark and north, zip 85085, it is $92000. These higher income areas are good areas for retired folks, due to less crime, but I'd stay north of the 101 or west of the 101 in areas like surprise and Marley park. On the other hand, some people hate hoa's and will live in the older areas.

Well, anyway, that's the north valley scenario, as for further west, I'm not as familiar.

Last edited by Arizona89A; 11-02-2016 at 04:00 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 09:39 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,100,569 times
Quote:

We own a condo in Chandler right now, but want to sell that and buy a nice little house somewhere outside of Phoenix, with a budget of 200k, give or take 50k. We don't need anything fancy (but a little bit fancy would be nice haha), but something that might at least keep its value over the next ten years would be appreciated.

We know the area south of the 202 pretty well, but north of Phoenix is a mystery. Any advice on good, reasonably priced neighborhoods/towns we should look at? What's the differences between Surprise, Sun City, Peroria, Glendale? I assume we can't afford Scottsdale.

We won't be working, so the only commute we'd need to worry about is the one to Coyote hockey games.

None of those suburbs you mentioned are north of Phoenix. All are west of it except Scottsdale (which you're right, you aren't going to find anything in the $150-250k range there except maybe a small, foreclosed condo that needs lots of work!). You are most likely to find something within your budget that's a single-family home in Surprise, parts of Peoria (most likely the older parts), Sun City, or Glendale. Of those, Surprise and north Peoria offer the newest communities. I agree with MrsMac about Marley Park. Very nice community and could work if you indeed can stretch your budget up to the $250k. There are some other nice communities right around it, too. As AZ89A said, there are also some areas like Anthem/Cave Creek that are nice, but those are going to be athte very top end of your budget. Maybe in New River or Black Canyon City you can get something for $200k, but then you're getting WAY up there and not a very quick commute to Coyote games!

Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,669,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Actually, there are at least 300,000 residents north of the 101, east of the 17, and west of the Scottsdale city limits.
Anthem is my favorite master planned development in all of Phoenix. Beautiful mountain views and above the air pollution. Greenbelts and parks, rolling terrain.

Further south, you have Tramanto and communities down along 27th and 19th. The first incidence of homelessness appears to be at Happy valley and 19th. Very sorry to see the homeless, it wasn't true when rents were lower in 2008.

Then, along Cave Creek north of the 101, and Tatum north of the 101, there are numerous subdivisions. On the border of Scottsdale and Phoenix around Dynamite there are subdivisions.

There are realtors who hold open houses in these areas. Drive north from that circle K on 19th and you'll find them.

I did not mention Deer Valley, east and west of the 101. Named by the LDS after Deer Valley, Utah, it features very large homes on large lots, in some areas. Check out the wide streets near the Temple. Beautiful custom homes, wide streets, huge setbacks, its like being in Reno, Ridgecrest, or Palm Springs ! If you are LDS it is a great area as are all of the above. Same if you are fundamentalist or you don't want any crime. The FBI is at 19th and Deer Valley road. Undoubtedly they are tired of crime by the end of the day so would live in these safer areas.

Another benefit to these areas is the Deer Valley schools, and, the proximity to the new Phoenix Sonoran preserve with its hiking, biking, and horse riding.

And, the various Cave Creek area trails, and also the entrances to the Tonto National Forest.

Depending on the op and their politics, note that all of the above are among the most socially conservative areas in Metro Phoenix, along with nearby Cave Creek, Carefree, and along 17 up to Black Canyon City. Some people care about this and others do not. Just thought I'd mention this.

Also, does anyone know why Deer Valley, Arizona did not become its own City? Instead, at some time, it merged with Phoenix.

City data even has its own link for it,

https://www.city-data.com/city/Deer-Valley-Arizona.html

$78000 is a very high income for the Deer Valley region. Thankfully, this even rivals Scottsdale who seems to think they're better than everyone. Lol. But what will really give Scottsdale a run for their money is the zip from the airpark and north, zip 85085, it is $92000. These higher income areas are good areas for retired folks, due to less crime, but I'd stay north of the 101 or west of the 101 in areas like surprise and Marley park. On the other hand, some people hate hoa's and will live in the older areas.

Well, anyway, that's the north valley scenario, as for further west, I'm not as familiar.
Everything south of Cloud Rd (1 mile north of Carefree Hwy), between 51st Ave and 56th St is in the City of Phoenix. Places like Deer Valley and Desert Gateway are not suburbs, as they are in the city limits

Old 11-02-2016, 11:40 AM

287 posts, read 898,839 times
If you don't mind driving you could get something in your price range in Black Canyon City. This one, for example:

33091 S Summit Dr, Black Canyon City, AZ 85324 | MLS #5516388 | Zillow

Or even Wickenburg:

Juniper - Trilogy at Wickenburg Ranch by Shea Homes-Trilogy | Zillow

These are a ways out but IMO that's what makes them even nicer because they are out of the valley.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:11 PM

586 posts, read 543,612 times
Take a look at the West Side Communities of Verrado and Estrella. Many other Canadians in both and you would be an easy 30 minute or so drive to the Coyotes. House price will get you a nice place and if you golf both have good courses right in the middle. They also both have resident's clubs with fitness centers and pools that are included with your HOA's.
Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area