Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:04 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
As others have suggested, there are other places to go besides Scottsdale. I think a mistake a lot of people make when they move, or at least an assumption they make, is that Scottsdale is the be-all-end-all-only-place-to-be because that is what they have heard. It's like thinking Los Angeles is JUST Hollywood.

The valley has lots of places one can go for a night out, cool bars or restaurants, or just to "hang out".

In reality, Surprise is a long haul from almost everywhere in the valley! According to Google maps it is roughly 40 miles to Old Town and 30 miles to downtown Phoenix.
Heck, where the OP bought is a long way from anything in Surprise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 10:25 AM

1,180 posts, read 780,815 times
Yes. My Uncle used to live in that exact same town of Surprise, AZ. We have a wonderful run from a local Indian reservation.. that he brought from there, or around that area.

is there anything I should ask him?

(*this was circa late-90s, IIRC.)

**It is POSSIBLE the rug - and two LOVELY large vases - came from somewhere else in AZ, but the truth is, I just don't know. I would ASSUME it's from Surprise, since my Uncle has seen, and lived in, most of the country, and he cites Surprise as where he was in Arizona.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Sorry, but this is the thread we'll look back on in several months when you post about how sad you are that you live here and how terrible the area is. Why people buy a house without fully investigating an area is beyond me. If you're young, looking for social activities, shopping, bar hopping, walking around you bought in the wrong place. I'm a little bit older than you but like doing the same stuff and I'd be miserable being that far out. Owning a home is great, but if you can only afford to do so in a place that doesn't fit your lifestyle, what's the point?

Negative Nancy out...

Old 11-22-2016, 11:56 AM

1,180 posts, read 780,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Sorry, but this is the thread we'll look back on in several months when you post about how sad you are that you live here and how terrible the area is. Why people buy a house without fully investigating an area is beyond me. If you're young, looking for social activities, shopping, bar hopping, walking around you bought in the wrong place. I'm a little bit older than you but like doing the same stuff and I'd be miserable being that far out. Owning a home is great, but if you can only afford to do so in a place that doesn't fit your lifestyle, what's the point?

Negative Nancy out...
My Uncle DID do the RV thing at that time....

Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
My Uncle DID do the RV thing at that time....
And probably wasn't a 26 year old professional either.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:09 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,623,027 times
Quote:
What does everyone think of Surprise, AZ?
Surprising, IMHO.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:30 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
As others have suggested, there are other places to go besides Scottsdale. I think a mistake a lot of people make when they move, or at least an assumption they make, is that Scottsdale is the be-all-end-all-only-place-to-be because that is what they have heard. It's like thinking Los Angeles is JUST Hollywood.

The valley has lots of places one can go for a night out, cool bars or restaurants, or just to "hang out".

In reality, Surprise is a long haul from almost everywhere in the valley! According to Google maps it is roughly 40 miles to Old Town and 30 miles to downtown Phoenix.
If theyre looking for the be-all-end-all of Valley-area entertainment, then Old Town is hard to beat. Yes, there are areas of the Valley where one can obtain entertainment easily, but the quality and quantity of the entertainment found in Old Town IS the pinnacle. Others might possibly disagree, but I cant think of a single place like Old Town. Nothing even remotely close, actually.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:56 PM

640 posts, read 959,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk323i View Post
I just bought a new home in north Surprise up 163rd. What is life like for young professionals in Surprise. Am I probably going to drive to downtown or across to Scottsdale to go out to cool bars and malls and restaurants? Is there cool stuff on the west side in Peoria, Glendale, etc.?

I'm 26 from an upper middle class suburban community north of Los Angeles.
I was living in downtown LA for the last 2 years, but really wanted a home and could not afford anything in CA.

I'm going to ASU's - Thunderbird School of Global Management.

I work full-time for a management consulting company as an analyst. I work from home 90% of the time, and fly out of state once a quarter.

I guess I envision myself going out into nature for day, weekend camping trips to arcosanti, sedona, white tank mountains, grand canyon, flagstaff, etc. In a year or 2, I hope to build a pool and a outdoor patio cover, bbq bar area.

It would be nice to go out shopping, bar hopping, walking around etc. but it seems like those kind of activities are mainly in Scottsdale, and downtown areas and that the west side- Surprise especially is just full of families, etc.

Just trying to get a sense of what to expect lifestyle wise in Surprise. Will be nice to have a brand new home but will also be hard not living 1 block from Sunset Blvd in California anymore.
Wait a second, when you say "up 163rd" do you mean the subdivisions near 163rd and Jomax? If so, I would look at how to get out of whatever contract you have already signed on that house. 1 hour drive to Scottsdale or downtown Phoenix so even getting an Uber is going to be expensive, let alone driving. And 40 minutes to Thinderbird school. You are really going to be spending all of your time in your car if you live up there. I would be miserable.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:07 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post

Negative Nancy out...
I agree. OP should have come here BEFORE he bought.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickaida View Post
Do people actually live in Surprise? I thought it only existed for Baseball training camps.
I'm kidding so please don't scream at me! Actually, we plan to come out this spring to visit my Boys In Blue and have a question. What's the drive like from I17 just north of 101 around to the stadium complex and what's mid-March weather like?
Mid march in Phoenix has normal highs in the mid to upper 70's and normal lows in the low to mid 50's, with fairly dry weather, quite a bit of sun, sometimes a Pacific storm will come through bringing a day of rain and highs in the 50's/60's for a day or two, but normally Spring is well under way here by that point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area