Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,853,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I was at the mechanic getting an oil change early Saturday and the TV was tuned to whatever the good morning news show is that is on (I never watch those type of shows so I am not sure of the name) and they were out at various locations around the valley doing this and that. Everyone was bundled up like it was frigid out and everyone was talking about how cold it was. Winter coats, hats, gloves, scarves! They were talking to people that camped out for the ASU game and were talking about how brave they were to be out there in the COLD like that...because it was in the 40s.

I don't like the cold, and I agree it feels cold right now, but I had to laugh at these people acting like they were literally going to freeze to death because of the weather. I was wearing jeans and a tshirt and a hoodie, but I was far from bundled up when I left the house. Once my car was done, my hoodie came off as I left to run my other errands.

Would I prefer warmer? Of course. Is this frigid-I-am-going-to-die-of-frostbite cold like they were acting like? Not by a long shot.
We sure are funny, aren't we

To be fair though when I see people from cold places like Minnesota or something visit us during the summer I like to laugh at them complain about the heat and sweat through their clothes.... I mean I do it but I know how to handle it to make it as pleasant as possible. Watching them struggle with our high summer temps is laughable to me as someone who is experienced. Just like they laugh at us with the 40s, we laugh at them with the 100s. It's all balanced at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 11:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

To be fair though when I see people from cold places like Minnesota or something visit us during the summer I like to laugh at them complain about the heat and sweat through their clothes.... I mean I do it but I know how to handle it to make it as pleasant as possible. Watching them struggle with our high summer temps is laughable to me as someone who is experienced. Just like they laugh at us with the 40s, we laugh at them with the 100s. It's all balanced at the end.
Definitely funny!

This is my 4th winter here and while I would like it to be warmer, I have yet to feel really cold here. I've not worn anything heavier than a hoodie or wool pea coat (which isn't much warmer than a hoodie). I can't imagine I ever will!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,990,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

You shoulda seen my family visiting in June this year (from IL), when we hit that near-record high of 120 degrees in parts of the Valley. Their reddened faces of despair said a million words w/o having to say one word at all.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:25 AM

483 posts, read 667,960 times
People say San Diego has the most perfect weather in the country. Last New Year's we were out there to see Wisconsin play USC in the Holiday Bowl. Let me tell you, even though we're from Wisconsin, sitting out there at night in 30-degree temps with blankets, parkas, gloves, hats was one of the coldest nights we have experienced in a long, long time.

We went back to WI for Thanksgiving and every day was cloudy/rainy/drizzly/damp. Couldn't wait to get back to AZ for the sun. Yes, it's chilly at night now, but we'll take it.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,302,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
People say San Diego has the most perfect weather in the country. Last New Year's we were out there to see Wisconsin play USC in the Holiday Bowl. Let me tell you, even though we're from Wisconsin, sitting out there at night in 30-degree temps with blankets, parkas, gloves, hats was one of the coldest nights we have experienced in a long, long time.

We went back to WI for Thanksgiving and every day was cloudy/rainy/drizzly/damp. Couldn't wait to get back to AZ for the sun. Yes, it's chilly at night now, but we'll take it.
I looked in the almanac and the low temperature in SD that day was 43 (high in the 60's), which is just a few below normal. San Diego really does have great weather with highs all year typically in the 60's or 70's and in the Summer the lows are rarely much less than the highs. At night by the coast though, it is sweatshirt weather, even in the Summer (which is refreshing when it's 115 back in AZ) My wife is always cold in San Diego but I prefer the temps there.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:28 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,990,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I looked in the almanac and the low temperature in SD that day was 43 (high in the 60's), which is just a few below normal. San Diego really does have great weather with highs all year typically in the 60's or 70's and in the Summer the lows are rarely much less than the highs. At night by the coast though, it is sweatshirt weather, even in the Summer (which is refreshing when it's 115 back in AZ) My wife is always cold in San Diego but I prefer the temps there.
Theres not much better than leaving 115-degree PHX and arriving in 76-degree Santa Barbara in the middle of June.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,373,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It is the high humidity (and sometimes also mist/fog/rain) that can make those California nights more bone-chilling than the temperature might imply. I've had similar experiences as the poster who was so chilled at night in the Holiday Bowl. A dry cold is not going to penetrate you in quite the same way that a very moist cold of the same temperature will; it's the same general idea as why it can be so miserable being out on a boat in the ocean if you're in a place with cold seas.

From USA TODAY: "Thermal conductivity increases as relative humidity increases, so body heat is more quickly lost in more humid conditions, making one feel colder. All other conditions being equal, a cold day with rain and/or fog feels colder than a dry day."

Old 12-06-2016, 03:20 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,302,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
It is the high humidity (and sometimes also mist/fog/rain) that can make those California nights more bone-chilling than the temperature might imply. I've had similar experiences as the poster who was so chilled at night in the Holiday Bowl. A dry cold is not going to penetrate you in quite the same way that a very moist cold of the same temperature will; it's the same general idea as why it can be so miserable being out on a boat in the ocean if you're in a place with cold seas.

From USA TODAY: "Thermal conductivity increases as relative humidity increases, so body heat is more quickly lost in more humid conditions, making one feel colder. All other conditions being equal, a cold day with rain and/or fog feels colder than a dry day."
I don't know about all that but San Diego isn't really humid IMO, but hell I felt so cold at my boys baseball game the other night I thought my hands were gonna fall off, felt like it was freezing out. Got in the car and the temp was in the low 50's.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:52 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,054,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It may be colder elsewhere but that is completely irrelevant to what is happening here. It's cold HERE, I don't care if it is colder someplace else! I hate that argument!

Thankful for chihuahuas and cats that want to lay on me at home. They are warm Not happy about wearing socks.
Move to the state to your South.....Sonora. See, no worries about cold, but even they still get snow on occasion.

Heck, even the northwestern part of Saudi Arabia gets snow. Looks like you'll have to move to Panama. Arizona does not seem to be a good fit for you since you have to experience cold from time to time.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,680,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Theres not much better than leaving 115-degree PHX and arriving in 76-degree Santa Barbara in the middle of June.
76° in Santa Barbara in June? If you had said 69°, would have made more sense, June is still June Gloom on the coast with marine layer and seasonal lag, I've spent many June days on the piers in San Diego and Greater LA with temps not getting out of the 60's and overcast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area