Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Definitely funny!

This is my 4th winter here and while I would like it to be warmer, I have yet to feel really cold here. I've not worn anything heavier than a hoodie or wool pea coat (which isn't much warmer than a hoodie). I can't imagine I ever will!
You should have been here for the cold snap we had in January of 2007, 14th 49°/35° 15th 46°/29° 16th 56°/29°; I remember bundling up like when I lived back east, with a beanie, gloves, a down parka and long pants and it was still bone chilling cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 06:44 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You should have been here for the cold snap we had in January of 2007, 14th 49°/35° 15th 46°/29° 16th 56°/29°; I remember bundling up like when I lived back east, with a beanie, gloves, a down parka and long pants and it was still bone chilling cold
Or February 2-5, 2011. Airport lows were 44/33, 49/30, 54/30, 62/36. Most of the Valley was well down into the 20s or below. On the 3rd and 4th at my house in Scottsdale it hit 17 degrees on both nights.

The hard freeze killed four young jacarandas that I had. The only mature jacaranda survived because the trunk didn't freeze through, but dead limbs had to be cut off and it has been growing back ever since.

You can still see the frost damage on most mature jacarandas all around the Valley that survived (some in central Phoenix excepted).

I also thought for sure it had killed my bougainvilleas since all the leaves dropped and the branches died, but it came back just fine from the root/base as they always seem to do. I don't remember if it damaged my hibiscus more than usual, those seem to get frost damage routinely but they tend to come back, too.

Of course my roses were just fine...roses are amazing. They handle the heat, the cold, a huge variety of climates around the world. Lovely plants.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:39 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Or February 2-5, 2011. Airport lows were 44/33, 49/30, 54/30, 62/36. Most of the Valley was well down into the 20s or below. On the 3rd and 4th at my house in Scottsdale it hit 17 degrees on both nights.

The hard freeze killed four young jacarandas that I had. The only mature jacaranda survived because the trunk didn't freeze through, but dead limbs had to be cut off and it has been growing back ever since.

You can still see the frost damage on most mature jacarandas all around the Valley that survived (some in central Phoenix excepted).

I also thought for sure it had killed my bougainvilleas since all the leaves dropped and the branches died, but it came back just fine from the root/base as they always seem to do. I don't remember if it damaged my hibiscus more than usual, those seem to get frost damage routinely but they tend to come back, too.

Of course my roses were just fine...roses are amazing. They handle the heat, the cold, a huge variety of climates around the world. Lovely plants.
I remember Feb 2nd 2011, for sure, I had to drive to Prescott, Cottonwood and Flagstaff that day for work, and omg was it freaking cold, the Sprinter I was using had a thermometer in the gauge cluster, and it said 43° in South Phoenix at noon, was reading 26° in Prescott around 2, 30° in Cottonwood at 4, and was reading 7° in Flagstaff at 5:45 when I got there as the sun was setting, and when I left Flag at 7pm, it was reading -4°!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
A couple of years ago we had a pretty good cold stretch. It was when the Superstitions had a dusting of snow and everyone was freaking out about that.

Well, one morning I overheard a coworker, who is a native, talking about why she was late. She was saying her car was covered in ICE! She had all of this ICE to scrape off her windshield! She didn't know if she was going to be able to make it at all because of all of the ICE! She was really freaking out about it.

I was laughing for awhile because of that...she was talking about frost on the windshield. I wonder what she would do if her car really was covered in ICE like I have seen after a good freezing rain glazing? Having to scrape the windshield is no excuse to be late LOL Heck, it was probably light enough that running the defrost and using the washer fluid would take care of it

Old 12-07-2016, 02:19 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Why would people freak out about the Superstitions getting snow on them? That's quite normal. Every winter I also see snow on the Mazatzal Mts, too.

Anyone remember this doozie from 2013?
http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_ht...eb-20-2013.jpg

Old 12-07-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Why would people freak out about the Superstitions getting snow on them? That's quite normal. Every winter I also see snow on the Mazatzal Mts, too.

Anyone remember this doozie from 2013?
http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_ht...eb-20-2013.jpg
No, I don't think it is normal to get snow that low for that long (it was there several days and the surrounding base of the mountains was dusted as well). I spoke to several long term residents who had never seen that before. People were driving out there to see it and "play in it" because it was unusual.

Snow brings visitors to Superstition Mountains - ABC15 Arizona

Old 12-07-2016, 02:52 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
It hasn't been bad. No jacket during the day and a hoodie at night. Still very comfortable.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:06 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
76° in Santa Barbara in June? If you had said 69°, would have made more sense, June is still June Gloom on the coast with marine layer and seasonal lag, I've spent many June days on the piers in San Diego and Greater LA with temps not getting out of the 60's and overcast
It's usually not "june gloom" all month. You may have 5 days out of 7 with highs being in the 60's though. I remember it being quite hot in June at times, but the warmer temps are generally more consistent in July, yes.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:58 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
No, I don't think it is normal to get snow that low for that long (it was there several days and the surrounding base of the mountains was dusted as well). I spoke to several long term residents who had never seen that before. People were driving out there to see it and "play in it" because it was unusual.

Snow brings visitors to Superstition Mountains - ABC15 Arizona
That was at the base in the city of Apache Junction, which is a little rarer. The actual superstition mountains themselves get a light dusting once or twice a year.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
That was at the base in the city of Apache Junction, which is a little rarer. The actual superstition mountains themselves get a light dusting once or twice a year.
Right.

And the fact that it stuck around for a couple of days was also rare. My drive home from work took me east so I had a view of the show covered mountains that could be seen from quite a distance. That is what was so usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area