Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:54 AM

24,328 posts, read 13,183,640 times

Advertisements

No immunity, it's a neurotoxin. My first sting was on a finger and the mild numbness lasted a few days. I was once stung on the side and it hurt for maybe 20 minutes, an ice pack took away the pain quickly. When I lived in the desert outside of Tucson, my wife had the misfortune of having one in one of her swimsuit top cups as she put it on... yep, stung her there. She was very PO'ed. But the pain wasn't as bad as when she got hit in the hand. Larger areas or masses of tissue tend to de-concentrate the venom.

I went to work with one in my boots, and when I got there I felt something crawling around the my arch. I took off the boot, and out fell a bark scorpion. Ever since then, and that was over 25 years ago, I shake out my boots or shoes before putting them on; even killed a scorpion here earlier this week, but the bigger threat here in SW OK is the brown recluse.

I had a large dog that got stung and no had ill effects; a smaller one used to taunt them, rip them apart, and devour them (and tarantulas). Don't know what little dogs are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:04 AM

94 posts, read 119,981 times
With those little brown ones the pain will last at least a week. My finger went numb- then my hand went numb and my finger hurt- then my arm went numb- and my hand hurt. the pain in the finger lasted at least a week.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,708,176 times
I got stung on my lower back last year or maybe the year before. It lasted about a day and a half but wasn't as painful as I expected.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,212,946 times
Just checking for a pulse.

I hope before you crawled into that bed you took all the covers back and checked. Bark scorpions are not solitary like most other ones. They hang around in groups. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:30 PM

13,355 posts, read 7,385,078 times
Been looking around with a black light last night and this morning didn't see any we usually get a few per year in the house but this is the first time I have been stung. Area around my ankle is it tingles when I walk feels numb but the area is getting smaller now. Hasn't spread around I think being in my ankle low part of the body stays there. I found Kevlar socks online I might buy a pair I can wear around the house LOL

Old 12-05-2016, 07:12 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Just stung by bark scorpion about 15 minutes ago feels like an electric shock the pain intense how long does it last would like to hear from someone who also has been stung their experience?
Symptoms normally last a few hours, but can last for weeks in extreme cases.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:43 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times
You are describing exactly what my wife said when she was stung. It eventually goes away, my worry was nerve damage as the venom is a neurotoxin. I still suspect she has some mild nerve damage but it is un-diagnosed...just little things she says about her back, arm, etc. that doesn't have any source.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:44 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,001,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Welcome to the club! I've been stung 3 or 4 times. The first was like you, leg numb but it stopped at the knee. Went on for several days like that but a little less each day. The others weren't as bad. I got stung in the head one time too. I've been a liberal ever since. I suppose it depends on how much venom you got. Don't worry, though, there will be no lasting effects. Now is the time you see them in the house as they come it to get out of the cold. Wear shoes or at least thick socks.

I think my dogs have been stung over the years as well as they are terrified of scorpions and run away when they see one. That might be from our over reaction to get to them and kill them, though, when we spot one.

EDIT: Forget to mention. We found one on our Christmas tree once and sometimes find dead ones in the ornaments boxes. So keep an eye out!
OMG, don't tell them that over in POC.

LOL!

Old 12-05-2016, 01:50 PM

50,481 posts, read 47,219,800 times
My cats clear them out but did have one in a boot.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:54 PM

77 posts, read 74,589 times
The pain can be relieved by applying papaya to the wound. You can take benadryl for swelling and if itches. Of course, tylenol will also help with pain. No need to go to the ER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area