Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 5,940 times

Advertisements

My fiancee & I are hoping to relocate to Phoenix sometime next year. She can transfer easily and her job will be located closer to Anthem.

We're wondering what areas would be safe and affordable that are closer to that side of Phoenix?
Suburbs are fine, but places like Chandler/Gilbert would be too far from her job.
We would be renting and initially need rent to be around $600 until I could find employment. We'd love to have a bedroom rather than a studio, but I understand that may be a tall order.

Also, while visiting the area, we heard several mentions about the cost of utilities being high. Can anyone give me some ideas of averages for smaller places (studio, 1bd/1ba, maybe even 2bd/1ba)? Again, with us moving out there on 1 salary initially, our budget will be tight and we need to estimate it as best as possible.

Any other tips about moving to the area are welcomed!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 12:07 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,110,570 times
How close to Anthem? I would try to stay close to the I 17 since there aren't that many apts. right in Anthem, but a little further south, you might find something. And $600 a month is going to be difficult, but try Ironhorse at Tramonto for $778 for a one bedroom. Rentcafe is a website with good info. good luck to you

Old 12-04-2016, 01:24 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,090,159 times
$600 is doable for a studio, there are a few 1 bedrooms, and I don't think you will find a 2bdrm for that anywhere around. You might want to check out craigslist for places (north phoenix, cave creek, anthem, and even Black Canyon City (BCC is a little higher elevation, a few degrees cooler but if you want to live in the city and not a half hour from the edge forget BCC, (It is also definitely considered small desert town). Maybe something in Peoria/Glendale depending on how far you are willing to be. (maybe find someone's casita or someone renting out an extra livable space for that price. "Winter" is snowbird season, so depending on when you plan on coming, you will be competing with them, or picking up something during the hot season. The only nice part about being in Anthem is if she has normal hours, she will be going opposite most traffic.

I would think your best option is going to be using an apt locator service. I used one once, it cost me $10 for a general criminal/credit check, (he gets paid by the referral when you sign the lease). I saw his ad that morning, went in at noon, and if it wasn't for waiting on my old place, I could have been moved into my new one that night. Told him where I wanted to live, my budget, what I wanted in the apt (no carpets, first floor, and in-apt washer/dryer, etc...). He made all the calls and a few hours later had a list of about a dozen we could check out. The only way I will find an apt again. I have given out his info about a dozen times, have not heard back from anyone good or bad how it went. DM me if you want it. I have no affiliation, I just used one time, and was extremely happy with the results. He is not too far from that side of town so may be able to find something for you.

As for bills, $40-$50 for internet, $40-$50 for tv, but the big one here is usually the electricity. I am in a 700sq ft, 1bd apt. I have black out curtains on all my windows. When it was 110-120 all summer, I would leave the AC on at 76 during the day 74 at night, and I was spending right about $100 a month. Right now when its getting into the 70s during the day, and 40s at night; with heater & ac off, my place is naturally at 72 at night 74 during the day, and my electricity is about $50 a month. (just to give you an idea, a 2,000 sq ft home during the summer will be anywhere from $250 up to, I have heard $800 a month).

Old 12-05-2016, 08:27 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,754,305 times
There are nice areas in the north part of the valley, but I think you will need to up your budget. Phoenix is cheap compared to places like L.A. and N.Y. but maybe not as cheap as where you are coming from.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:56 AM

728 posts, read 1,905,685 times
There are lots of studios in your price range up near North Phoenix, off Bell or Union Hills with major freeways like the 17 and the 101. It's a nice area with lots of places to shop, eat etc...

AVOID anything in the southern parts of town, really really bad areas. Trust me, I patrol those areas at night and I wouldn't have my worst enemies live there.

I live in an older 3 bedroom home and in the summer, with the A/C set at 78, the highest we ever paid was $250. With No A/C or heater on since October our prices are averaging about $50. We have Centurylink for our internet and it runs about $50 per month.

Best way to find something is to go through a realtor. Most of them deal with property management companies directly. That's how we relocated from So Cal.

Good luck!

Old 12-09-2016, 08:30 PM

77 posts, read 74,876 times
Tips to keep your electricity costs low:
1. North or east facing apartment.
2. Don't pick the top or bottom level condo/apt that way you're insulated. However, you have to weigh the pros of not having a neighbor on top of you. Think thunder feet .
3. Double panes windows.
4. Doing laundry or bake at night.
5. Run the AC cooler at night to take advantage of off peak hours rate and trapping that cool air in the apartment during the daytime.
6. LED or fluorescent light bulbs.

My electricity bill runs around $50-75 a month for a 665 square foot corner condo. Four windows/sliding doors; one facing north and 3 southwest. Single pane unfortunately and top floor. LOL. I know; goes against with what I said but I own the condo and love the view and top floor as I hate thunder feet.

Feel free to add.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:11 AM

44,701 posts, read 61,882,008 times
There are a lot of nice communities in North Phoenix between Pinnacle Peak Rd and Jomax Rd near I-17 and a good variety of shopping. NorTerra arera is one to look into. About 15 minutes to Anthem.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:09 AM

8,313 posts, read 8,725,713 times
You don't need cable. Get one of those cheap antennas they advertise on TV. You should get 50 to 85 channels.

I pay between $40 and $115 for electricity. My place is a little bigger than the previous posters examples.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:40 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,090,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You don't need cable. Get one of those cheap antennas they advertise on TV. You should get 50 to 85 channels.

I pay between $40 and $115 for electricity. My place is a little bigger than the previous posters examples.
I have one of those. I get every channel listed here.

American TV Listings Guide for What's On Television Tonight.

Anywhere within the phoenix metro area, you should be able to pick them all up.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 5,940 times
PhxBarb - the job is about 5 miles south of Anthem, so actually being a little south of there would be just fine. Currently she's having to commute 45-50 miles one way, so really, anything nearing 30 miles is a win in our book.

adriver - Thank you so much for all the information you shared!! I don't think we'll be competing with snowbirds as I think the earliest we'd be coming in would be spring, so it sounds like that's just in time for snowbirds to be leaving? That's awesome about the apt locator service, that's been the biggest headache for me so far with looking into this.
Thanks about giving me the info about the size, where you kept the tempt, etc. We're moving from Jackson, MS and not that it gets quite so hot here, but I'd say it definitely gets close and those are all things we usually do to beat this heat here.

goolsbyjazz - Phoenix is about equal with Jackson, MS except with electricity.

MountainGuy74 - Thanks for giving me some places specifically to look. We ventured out that area, near Bell and 101, it was certainly nice. Thanks for the details about your house and the tip about the realtor!

Lexethan - Great tips! Proud to say, I knew most of them from dealing from the heat here in MS and living in drafty places for the last 13 years.

wit-nit - Thanks for giving me some specfic areas to look into!

thinkalot - Thanks for that info about the antennas and price range on electricity. Sounds like you get a wide range of channels there with just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area