Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:50 PM

50,478 posts, read 47,219,800 times

Advertisements

All ISPs have a price break even point. They aren't going to give you discounted service for long. Their program costs are high. Especially those that carry ESPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 AM

44,662 posts, read 61,729,772 times
We went to Century Link for internet/phone $24.00 per month and use over the air antenna for free. Works for us.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:54 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,768,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
OP, I'm surprised they would let you walk. I canceled my DirecTV account (after about six years) just this week and they were desperate to keep me. "Please give us the opportunity to work with you on a cost you can afford."

I headed them off at the pass by explaining that I canceled only because my family wants the Pac12 sports network and they do not offer it. I told them I called and told them three different times that I would cancel if they didn't settle their long-standing disagreement with the Pac12 and add the channel. I said they were welcome to search through their records of my interactions with them if they didn't believe me. I guess they did because that stopped the pleading in its tracks.

I got a phone call from them two days later, which was someone from their Retention Department who wanted to offer me a lower bill. I repeated that wasn't the issue and added, "Besides you're too late. I already took your dish down from my house." She rang off immediately.

Maybe something you said made them realize you were fishing for a price break and really had no intention of leaving.

The quality of CenturyLink's internet service is very dependent on where you live and the quality of the equipment they're using in your area. I've had a CL bundle for 11 years (since they were QWest) for landline, long distance service, and my DSL/Wifi. I began with an ethernet and an Actionet modem and later was upgraded to Wifi and their current favored modem. Everything was fine for years. Then my service started to break down. They started with blaming me for having my system set up wrong. (After eight years I screwed it up??)

Service personnel finally admitted there was nothing wrong in my home or my yard. The problem was the degraded equipment they were using in my neighborhood. Their solution for the breakdown of their service was I should pay more to get connected to their newer, faster line. After arguing about it (and having service disruptions for more than a year), they finally relented after I offered this argument, "If I purchased a Mercedes C Class and it wouldn't drive at all, would I trade it in and pay Mercedes more for a model with a far higher price tag?" That got me the faster service for a heavily discounted price with a two-year contract extension.

Even with the "improved service" (I'm supposed to be in one of their "select locations" with 40 Mbps speed tiers) I have still experienced numerous service slowdowns and one complete breakdown. Perhaps the technology is better in Phoenix (I live in suburban Tucson).

In any case, CL's website claims, "Customers qualifying for CenturyLink High-Speed Internet with connection speeds up to 7Mbps will receive maximum line speeds ranging from 3 to 7 Mbps." I never even had 2 Mbps. A typical speed test would register 1.2 - 1.5 on my computer. When I would complain, they would tell me, "Even if we say 'up to 7' we are only legally required to provide you with 1 Mbps." If I were paying full price for the new tier, I would still be unhappy. As it stands now, I have better service (my current download speed is 6.13), but still nowhere as reliable as it was 10 years ago when I had ethernet.

What's up with that? The new printer I bought last year isn't any better in quality or cheaper to operate than the one I had 15 years ago! Granted PCs are cheaper and do more than they used to do. But the rest of the computer technology I use ... not a whit better.
Yea I was pretty shocked that they would let me walk too. I even went as far as setting a date (next week) for my services to be disconnected. The two options they gave me were to upgrade to their 150 Mbps plan w/ a two year contract for $59.99 a month OR severely downgrade to 15 Mbps for $45 a month. I told them I needed to fallow my budget and that's why I'm switching to CL for half as much. The guy then put me on hold. I thought he was trying to find a deal for me but instead, he came back saying CL cannot possibly offer 40 Mbps for $29.99 because my area, according to the Cox guy, only receives around 1-4 Mbps. I told him he found the wrong information because I'd already spoken to CL about service and was told my area indeed gets 40 Mbps. So I don't know what ploy Cox was trying, but when he offered the upgraded deal again, I declined and he said he'll put in the disconnect order. And that was that. Later yesterday evening I was talking to my wife and because we heard a ton of bad things about CL, I called Cox back to further inquire about the 150 Mbps for what I'm currently paying, $59.99. The person in the "Retention Department " now claimed that the promotion is $69.99 and the other person I spoke to earlier was wrong about the price. So, I don't know. I told them I'll keep my disconnect service date and hung up.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We went to Century Link for internet/phone $24.00 per month and use over the air antenna for free. Works for us.
I think that's what we will try.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:28 AM

2,622 posts, read 2,347,335 times
They agreed to give me their 100/mbps internet for $59.99 when I called in during the summer. My bill had just increased to $74 for 50/mbps. We do a lot of streaming including NFL games, all MLB games, plus HBO and Netflix so having a high speed allows us to never buffer or experience lag. I have heard hit or miss stories about Century Link and this. If you aren't doing much streaming, you don't need anything close to this type of speed, however, so don't let them talk you into it if you don't really need it.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:38 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
I got my bundle cut by about $20/month back in June after passively threatening to switch to DirectTv, I even had a fake quote and used it to say "I've been a Cox customer for 4 years I don't really want to switch but the quality of your service is nowhere near the price you are trying to make me pay." They got it down.

But I tried the same thing a month earlier by being slightly irate at the sudden jump in my bill and they tried to schedule the disconnection. So I guess it depends. My bluff wasn't called, and thank goodness, because the only other internet in my area is satellite internet which is unacceptable since I work at home a lot.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
They agreed to give me their 100/mbps internet for $59.99 when I called in during the summer. My bill had just increased to $74 for 50/mbps. We do a lot of streaming including NFL games, all MLB games, plus HBO and Netflix so having a high speed allows us to never buffer or experience lag. I have heard hit or miss stories about Century Link and this. If you aren't doing much streaming, you don't need anything close to this type of speed, however, so don't let them talk you into it if you don't really need it.
Cox wouldn't budge for me on anything. Then when I called them back wanting to know more info on the 150 Mbps plan, it mysteriously went up $10 a month. Practices like this is why we need more internet competition in the valley. I want to be able to shop around.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I got my bundle cut by about $20/month back in June after passively threatening to switch to DirectTv, I even had a fake quote and used it to say "I've been a Cox customer for 4 years I don't really want to switch but the quality of your service is nowhere near the price you are trying to make me pay." They got it down.

But I tried the same thing a month earlier by being slightly irate at the sudden jump in my bill and they tried to schedule the disconnection. So I guess it depends. My bluff wasn't called, and thank goodness, because the only other internet in my area is satellite internet which is unacceptable since I work at home a lot.
Yea and for me, I wasn't bluffing. I can switch to CL, but I'd rather not. But the arrogant nature of Cox lately has me wondering if they are just letting their customers disconnect services because they have that "meh, we really don't need your patronage anyways " attitude.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:07 AM

770 posts, read 839,669 times
I've been with Cox since they were Dimension Cable and they basically told me to pound sand. The problem is they are the only High Speed cable internet in town and they know it.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:39 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yea and for me, I wasn't bluffing. I can switch to CL, but I'd rather not. But the arrogant nature of Cox lately has me wondering if they are just letting their customers disconnect services because they have that "meh, we really don't need your patronage anyways " attitude.
I think they certainly want your business, ie $, but just more $ from you/per subscriber. Given many are jumping ship from wired cable providers like cox to streaming tv services, I can see why they want to maximize revenue on internet. I'm not a big tv watcher but just joined the new Directv Now streaming live cable service with 100+ channels for $35 a month(limited time sale btw). How can one beat that?

In any case, cox has always given me at least a $5 discount or so just by asking off our 50Mbps tier. I've been successful at this for years and all we have is internet service with them. I just ask nicely if they have specials and it has worked for me so far. $5 or so/whatever it is isn't ton of money but it's still about 1 free month a year so what the hey.

In your case/if you've dropped cox, I'd probably do the same as you, try CL and see what kind of speed you get. If worse comes to worse and it's not up to par, cox is always there to go back to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: