Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:49 AM

656 posts, read 819,470 times

Advertisements

I moved here from the Bay Area, and like San Diego, it has the easy Mediterranean climate that makes you totally unprepared to live anywhere else. So get ready for more, whether heat or cold, where-ever you end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM

50 posts, read 55,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Moved from Southern Cal about 5 yrs ago.

not as left-leaning, .
Is this a HUGE problem/thing I would notice when moving there?? I'm gay so obviously I'm far left. I live in Salt Lake City right now though so I am hoping the Phoenix area would be a vast improvement over that style of thinking.

Thoughts?

Old 09-22-2017, 08:25 PM

551 posts, read 698,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
Is this a HUGE problem/thing I would notice when moving there?? I'm gay so obviously I'm far left. I live in Salt Lake City right now though so I am hoping the Phoenix area would be a vast improvement over that style of thinking.

Thoughts?
Head up to OR, you probably will not like the fit here.

Last edited by cactusland; 09-22-2017 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 08:51 PM

3,412 posts, read 4,682,594 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Oregon or Washington would fit your politics better.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,891,843 times
I was born and raised in Colorado, but lived in a few other states.

I like very warm weather myself and actually don't mind the Phoenix heat in the summer. I wouldn't want to work in it, but I actually like the 95 degree late-evenings in the summer.

Phoenix is much drier than I prefer but I knew it was a desert when I moved there so I knew it was relatively dry much of the year. I do like the rain during July and August.

I don't care for Phoenix itself at all but that is just a matter of my preferences in a city. I really like Tempe, Scottsdale and Gilbert.

I tend to like outer-new suburbs myself with chain big-box retail stores, restaurants and coffee places but I do think college towns are unique and add a sense of vibrancy also.

Gilbert is the perfect suburb in my opinion and for a college town Tempe is one of the best in the country.

I would not reside in the area if it was just Phoenix proper. I think Phoenix has fantastic, varied suburbs and that is what I really like about it.

I also like the modern infrastructure and huge big-box retailer and inexpensive chain stores that Phoenix has. Lots of huge, huge big stores that aren't crowded with huge selection in outer exurbs which is just perfect.

I also think it is interesting that there are people from so many states in the Phoenix area.

I can say there are many materialistic and superficial people in the area but it is more comical to me and there are also alot of really down to earth people to counter that.

Overall, the Phoenix are is a mixed-bag. The advantages and disadvantages of the area are about equal. Sometimes I really like it and want to stay forever in the area and sometimes I do want to move. But overall, considering the way many cities are these days I would lean towards recommending the area but if I could live anywhere and had unlimited resources I would likely not reside in the area.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:20 AM

3,412 posts, read 4,682,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I was born and raised in Colorado, but lived in a few other states.

I like very warm weather myself and actually don't mind the Phoenix heat in the summer. I wouldn't want to work in it, but I actually like the 95 degree late-evenings in the summer.

Phoenix is much drier than I prefer but I knew it was a desert when I moved there so I knew it was relatively dry much of the year. I do like the rain during July and August.

I don't care for Phoenix itself at all but that is just a matter of my preferences in a city. I really like Tempe, Scottsdale and Gilbert.

I tend to like outer-new suburbs myself with chain big-box retail stores, restaurants and coffee places but I do think college towns are unique and add a sense of vibrancy also.

Gilbert is the perfect suburb in my opinion and for a college town Tempe is one of the best in the country.

I would not reside in the area if it was just Phoenix proper. I think Phoenix has fantastic, varied suburbs and that is what I really like about it.

I also like the modern infrastructure and huge big-box retailer and inexpensive chain stores that Phoenix has. Lots of huge, huge big stores that aren't crowded with huge selection in outer exurbs which is just perfect.

I also think it is interesting that there are people from so many states in the Phoenix area.

I can say there are many materialistic and superficial people in the area but it is more comical to me and there are also alot of really down to earth people to counter that.

Overall, the Phoenix are is a mixed-bag. The advantages and disadvantages of the area are about equal. Sometimes I really like it and want to stay forever in the area and sometimes I do want to move. But overall, considering the way many cities are these days I would lean towards recommending the area but if I could live anywhere and had unlimited resources I would likely not reside in the area.
I grew up in Denver since I was a kid, ended up moving down to AZ last year but make trips to Phoenix at least 1-2 times a month for shopping and visiting places. I've noticed one thing, there are ALOT more materialistic people here and physically out of shape/unhealthy.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:13 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,891,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I grew up in Denver since I was a kid, ended up moving down to AZ last year but make trips to Phoenix at least 1-2 times a month for shopping and visiting places. I've noticed one thing, there are ALOT more materialistic people here and physically out of shape/unhealthy.
There is a huge amount of superficial materialism when it comes to cars in parts of the valley. I wouldn't say that extends to housing though, most housing in metro Phoenix is not flashy except for some isolated areas in a few suburbs.

Most houses here are far more modest than Colorado. Even in "really" nice suburbs like Gilbert and Chandler usually people live in 2,000 to 3,000 square foot homes. They do have some mansions but not nearly as many as Colorado.

Colorado is not as materialistic on vehicles that people drive but people in Valley place a huge premium on their cars. I saw a report that Phoenix spends most percentage of income on cars out of any large city and I can certainly believe it.

Colorado has lots of people who have huge, huge homes. 3,000 to 5,000 square feet is very common on the Front Range.

The majority of homes in metro Phoenix are not as flashy and smaller in square footage than Colorado.

I do think there is some interesting pretentiousness in Arizona but it more comical than anything.

I think compared to most of the country, Phoenix people are on average in better health than a majority of metropolitan areas.

Phoenix like every other western city draws many people into the outdoors.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:30 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,205,060 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Nope. There are pockets where you can find your echo chamber but on the whole...this is a moderate state with the voting retirees pushing it Right.

And why "obviously far left"? I know plenty of conservative LGBT folks...just wondering.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:04 AM

394 posts, read 345,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Nope. There are pockets where you can find your echo chamber but on the whole...this is a moderate state with the voting retirees pushing it Right.

And why "obviously far left"? I know plenty of conservative LGBT folks...just wondering.
Probably because MSM says so (that's way many people label themselves and others these days)...

Yes a little cynical, but I believe it to be true.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:54 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,075,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I don't know if I'd agree about Phoenicians being very out of shape. On the other hand, I notice plump, out of shape people from states like Iowa, Wis to name a few.

I think the high value placed on vehicles in Phoenix vs. Denver is a spill-over from Southern CA. After all, our roads are smooth, no road salt or snow to ruin them, so why not get into cars here? I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area