Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 05:17 PM

2,555 posts, read 2,313,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I don't know if I'd agree about Phoenicians being very out of shape. On the other hand, I notice plump, out of shape people from states like Iowa, Wis to name a few.

I think the high value placed on vehicles in Phoenix vs. Denver is a spill-over from Southern CA. After all, our roads are smooth, no road salt or snow to ruin them, so why not get into cars here? I am.
I think it's a spillover of you have to have one to get around. Having lived in CA for 35 years, the roads there on average are horrible. Which ones did you find smooth? LOL. Love to know!

And the stereotype of the fat people being from Iowa and Wisconsin isn't really true. I lived in Ca for over three decades as well as the Upper Great Plains, In fact, I think Minnesota is usually ranked at the top or near it in terms of healthy folks. I saw my share of fatties in CA, also. Just sayin....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 12:02 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,641,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBear12 View Post
Is this a HUGE problem/thing I would notice when moving there?? I'm gay so obviously I'm far left. I live in Salt Lake City right now though so I am hoping the Phoenix area would be a vast improvement over that style of thinking.

Thoughts?
You will be fine here. The more right of center population is likely to live on the outskirts where they feel safe. Central Phoenix is very left leaning and where you will find a like minded community. Many areas outside of Central Phoenix are fine too. Phoenix proper is actually a blue city, similar to Salt Lake relative to its metropolitan area. While the east side of the Valley certainly has its share of Mormons, they in know way shape the majority attitude here. This place is very different than SLC.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:18 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,205,060 times
Well...with Registered Democrats only representing ~30% of the state...while Phoenix may lean left it may make for a frustrating experience for someone who describes themselves as "far left"

Old 09-26-2017, 01:38 PM

3,329 posts, read 2,297,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelguy84 View Post
Hi there just wanted everybody's opinion who has moved to the Phoenix area from the West Coast or Northwest and with their impression is and likes and dislikes so far... I grew up in San Diego and I am now living in Boise Idaho and am thinking of moving to somewhere in the valley.
I moved to AZ from CA many years ago and lived in San Diego for a chunk of that time. I like AZ and didn't expect it to be like where I was from. I do find the heat gets to me some years more than others although it doesn't alter my daily routine (I don't work outdoors).

I've mostly lived and worked in the East Valley and I've enjoyed it here; I would have been long gone years ago if I didn't. I think everything is a trade-off and I've found things to like about every place I've lived.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,970,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...with Registered Democrats only representing ~30% of the state...while Phoenix may lean left it may make for a frustrating experience for someone who describes themselves as "far left"
Well according to your link, republicans only represent 30% of the state as well so far left and far right are about equal.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,005,693 times
It's technically east but in the southwest LOL anyone from New Mexico? I have met quite a few people from there as well as Las Vegas, Seattle, Montana and Southern CA. Seems like we have a pretty even amount of people coming from and moving to Colorado and Seattle.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,075,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
I think it's a spillover of you have to have one to get around. Having lived in CA for 35 years, the roads there on average are horrible. Which ones did you find smooth? LOL. Love to know!

And the stereotype of the fat people being from Iowa and Wisconsin isn't really true. I lived in Ca for over three decades as well as the Upper Great Plains, In fact, I think Minnesota is usually ranked at the top or near it in terms of healthy folks. I saw my share of fatties in CA, also. Just sayin....
Which roads in CA did I find smooth? Most if not all of the freeways where I lived were in very good condition. They construct them with concrete paving, which lasts a LONG time in a climate like CA with no freeze/thaw cycles and the need for road salt. I agree- some of the city streets were neglected. Their gas tax revenues keep getting "stolen" from road repair/construction funding to other non-transportation related costs. This raises the ire of many tax paying Californians.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:53 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,456,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Nope. There are pockets where you can find your echo chamber but on the whole...this is a moderate state with the voting retirees pushing it Right.

And why "obviously far left"? I know plenty of conservative LGBT folks...just wondering.

Thank you - I was gonna ask the same thing. Sexual orientation doesn't automatically define one's political leaning. Let's not paint each other with broad brush because of preconceived notions and incorrect stereotypes.

OP, there is a gay community in Phoenix and it's doing just fine, HOWEVER the majority of population in Arizona is "live and let live"- fiscally conservative, socially accepting. If you truly are "far left" in all of your beliefs (fiscal policies, guns, etc) then Arizona probably won't be the best fit.

Look into the Bay Area, Portland, Denver.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:33 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,205,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Well according to your link, republicans only represent 30% of the state as well so far left and far right are about equal.
Correct...with the 2nd largest voting block in AZ being registered Independents...or "other". This is where the politicians start pulling their collective hair out since they can't "count" on that 30%+ to mark "R" or "D" on their ballot.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,991,108 times
As far as Arizona being Conservative-

It is, and I personally like that. But it is a different type of Conservationism, especially outside of Maricopa Country. This is the state that birthed Barry Goldwater, don't forget.

It is more of a fiscally responsible but libertarian type of Conservative. People might not agree with your lifestyle choices, but generally as long as you don't step on their toes they won't step on yours, it is more of a do your thing I'll do mine type of place.

I hope it stays that way. It might not. It seems both sides of the political isle these days like to get fascist and dictate how everyone lives as well as what everyone must accept.

Too bad for America, but as to Phoenix/Arizona, enjoy it till it fades.

What I loved about moving to AZ from SoCal (I hate even linking myself to that place now) decades ago was there were lot's of younger people who wanted to do something with themselves. In Cali there were a bunch of what I called "beach monsters", people who just lived to smoke pot, party, and didn't really care if their lifestyle negatively affected others. Here were people my age who wanted to get a career going and be successful. I was dying being surrounded by beach monsters in California, once I got clear of them I thrived in Arizona as I guess I found my people.

That was decades ago, I hope things haven't changed too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area