Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 12:13 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,581,369 times

Advertisements

Just tossing it out there but if you prefer to live/work/play a little closer in Scottsdale proper, you might have a look at Gainey Ranch. It's a ClubCorp property which means reciprocal privileges at clubs and courses across the country.

The course itself is 3 nine-hole tracks. By Scottsdale/Phoenix high-end standards I think it's considered mid-range both in play and pricing (Which still means very nice compared to almost anywhere else in the country). The clubhouse was remodeled last year and is quite nice and actually does a robust business as a wedding and meeting venue.

It's a private country club, but if you come to town for a visit and stay at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale, they can set you up with a round, it's right next to the hotel. There are opportunities to get involved with the social aspects. I've not found it to be terribly snobby and I'm a big believer in the Groucho Marx quote about not wanting to be a part of a club that would have me in it. The food service is good, but not great however they just hired a new head chef that came with nice credentials, but I haven't been around to try it out. The average age of membership skews maybe a little older than how old you said you were, but not by that much, so you won't feel like you're hanging out at a retirement home, so to speak.

If you ended up wanting to live at GR, as part of the homeowners association you'll get access to a tennis facility, pool, another clubhouse with a gym and exercise programs and such. I think owners also get a substantial discount of the golf club membership.

As I said, I'm not big into a lot of this, but the one really nice thing is being able to just walk in, book a round, get a drink and a good meal at your leisure during tourist season. That's something often not easy to do when airplane loads of folks getting away from the snow start pouring in during the winter and spring.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:01 AM

197 posts, read 271,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
Ok, we are looking for an active social club where there is an opportunity to make new friends (think a fairly welcoming club and not overly cliquish). My wife does not play golf but I do.... we have adult children who do not live with us and so we would prefer couples who are not tied down to their young children's activities.but we are not old.. I'm mid 50's and my wife is mid 40's....
Reading this, I'd do Arizona Country Club. Huge social aspect. Lots of 40's-50's members. I believe there have 300+ social members in addition to regular golf members. And amazing central location by Camelback Mountain.

Paradise Valley CC may be on a wait list.

The north Scottsdale Clubs tend to have more seasonal residents and some an older membership. A lot of old money, significant wealth there. DC Ranch might be wel suited for you.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:08 AM

640 posts, read 959,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Agree with AZ JoeD. For Scottsdale, Troon Country Club (private, different than Troon North), Desert Mountain, Desert Highlands, Estancia, Whisper Rock (golf only, not a CC), Silverleaf, DC Ranch Country Club.

Here's a good link in terms of general cost of membership, minimums, monthly fees, etc.

Scottsdale Private Golf Courses | Arizona Golf
This list has to be at least 10-15 years old, either that or they just put random numbers together for all of these clubs. For the current monthly dues, you will need to at least double what this says to get close to reality.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 AM

64 posts, read 186,791 times
Great advice take57! We will look into it....I guess I hadn't thought about the migration of lots of people wanting all things resort, golf, etc.... and having to compete with that..

Old 01-02-2017, 05:32 PM

939 posts, read 2,383,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
This list has to be at least 10-15 years old, either that or they just put random numbers together for all of these clubs. For the current monthly dues, you will need to at least double what this says to get close to reality.
True. But you can still glean information about the types of memberships, member numbers, what each club offers and comparison of cost, even if the financial information is out of date. I know some aren't double.

Last edited by Paige65; 01-02-2017 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area