Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Phoenix proper neighborhood do you prefer?
Deer Valley (south of 101) 3 11.54%
North Mountain (Moon Valley and Sunnyslope) 13 50.00%
Alhambra (without North Central) 1 3.85%
Maryvale 3 11.54%
South Mountain 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:44 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,830,560 times

Advertisements

Let's see who wins...

I picked the lower income Phoenix villages on purpose, and tried to exclude the higher income enclaves in each one (like the nice green 50s ranch homes in North Central). Obviously this isn't all the neighborhoods... I always liked the Sunnyslope and Alhambra area even though it can be a little rough. North Central is my favorite neighborhood so I excluded it on purpose... I think Sunnyslope is ready to be gentrified due to its great central location, decent commuting, and Mountain access. So I voted the North Mountain village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 07:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
None of the above for me

Old 12-27-2016, 08:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,092 times
I chose North Mountain because it is the best one in the poll but it's still not my top pick of Phoenix neighborhoods.

There should be a choice for other or none of the above.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,476,629 times
oh man...

Old 12-27-2016, 08:11 PM

21 posts, read 34,445 times
North Mountain. I'm a big fan of North Phoenix, love the mountain views up here.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:57 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,970,568 times
I picked South Mountain but the bigger question is why?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:01 PM

551 posts, read 694,348 times
I'm not really sure theres a contest here.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I chose North Mountain because it is the best one in the poll but it's still not my top pick of Phoenix neighborhoods.

There should be a choice for other or none of the above.
This thread is about which of these traditionally middle to lower class income Phoenix villages do you prefer. It's simple. Not everyone can afford to live in Camelback East or Paradise Valley villages. If you can afford to live in higher income areas then great, but not everyone can. I'm not going to include higher income villages when the whole point was to talk about lower income ones. If I want to talk about Maryvale, why even bring up Arcadia?

FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN, these neighborhoods have similar school ratings (or distribution of such from bad to decent), similar home prices (usually never going over 400k minus the enclaves I tried to exclude), similar housing stock (older cookie cutters by Phoenix's definition, not historic), and again from anecdotal evidence, similar demographics with some being more minority-majority than others.

I'm from this area of town. Raised in Deer Valley and I currently live in the Moon Valley area in its far western reaches (I live on the Glendale/Phoenix border), these parts of town are generally ignored maybe because they are usually lower income (there's enclaves in all the Phoenix villages however) but we are here to discuss their differences and similarities. If you don't want to participate because you want to talk about other neighborhoods then just don't comment that's all there is to it. I'm not going to change the thread from the areas I want to focus on to other areas you want to focus on to accommodate you.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
I'm not really sure theres a contest here.
No it's not a contest but I'm curious to see the poll results for those who choose to participate.

I'm surprised there's no votes for Deer Valley. It's safe, "cleaner" in appearance compared to North Mountain (at least to me), houses are potentially the newest out of all of these overall, and has good access to Thunderbird mountain and Wet n Wild (yes north of 101 but one can still drive there pretty easy in south-of-101 Deer Valley) and Deer Valley has easier access to east and west valley than some other neighborhoods because of direct 101 access. Bell Road is a good commercial artery that the other neighborhoods don't have, I am not sure if any of the other villages on the poll have nearly as much shopping opportunity. Christown mall in Alhambra is not very good and neither is Desert Sky mall in Maryvale. Metro is being demolished so I'm not counting it any longer for North Mountain.

For those who voted South Mountain, why is that? I'm not as familiar with that neighborhood as much as the others.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:36 AM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
I voted for 'Maryvale', that's where all the action is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area