Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:27 AM

408 posts, read 581,112 times

Advertisements

I mean in a "real city" sense, Phoenix has been always a little behind other large cities in America. Lately I can sense a change in the lifestyle and opportunities that exist within the metro. I came back to visit family for Christmas and my first thoughts were WOW look at the cranes! I noticed the Portland on the Park apartments being finished off, and a lot of development in the area of Fillmore 1st ave all the way down towards 7th and Roosevelt. Eastlake is coming along nice, with the apartments by the light rail adding some density from the east. I saw some apartments near central and Mcdowell that definitely weren't there when I left in Oct 2015. I saw the coolest container apartments off Mcdowell and I think 3rd ave?? Roosevelt looks completely different now from what I recall from 2009-2012, with the center of action still being between central and 5th street. I'm sad that Jobot closed, but I am sure it will relocate close by.

Didn't see the changes on Camelback between 7th-24th streets so I can't comment on this side of the city, however I noticed that E Thomas Road between 24th-52ndst is looking more rough these days than when I remember from living there back in 2010. The city feel is now stretching up towards the scottsdale border, and this area is getting more diverse. 24th and Jefferson looks to have gotten sketchier with more grit...I liked it though.
South Phoenix is looking good near 24th and Baseline. Very good mix of demographics, lots of affordable apartments and homes with great mountain views and short commute times downtown and towards Tempe and Chandler. I see this area picking up momentum into 2020s and continue rising with development. Can anyone confirm the plans for the light rail expansion in South Phoenix? This would be very good for this side of town. Still feels very isolated from other parts of the city.

Not really a Phoenix perspective, but neighboring suburbs of Tempe and Scottsdale are becoming the 2-3 punch to give Phoenix a bump tier in Density from U.S. cities. Tempe has a the college atmosphere mixed with a younger fresh innovative population that stays close by after school and enjoy good public transportation. It leads the Valley in density, transit, culture, entertainment and education. There's so much being developed here, its pretty dope to see. Going to ASU for three years in Tempe, I always envisioned a grand scheme of hotels, apartments, and towers surrounding the Mill Ave area, and spilling out towards Apache, and Rio Salado. It looks to be happening as I saw it four years ago in 2012 after Graduation. Marina Heights is spectacular, they put money into it and you can tell from far in the distance. It makes a nice imprint, in the Tempe skyline, and adds density along a major corridor that was previously desolate.

Scottsdale had some new apartments near Old Town that I liked. They were close to the bars and entertainment district which would be cool if you were looking to be right in the action. Still without the investment in Public Transportation, the easiest way to get into Scottsdale is by Car, and this limits accessibility but does not hinder its popularity here or elsewhere due to a "gold reputation". Its a beautiful area of the Valley and many of the best restaurants are based in Scottsdale. It also would have what you consider world-class shopping for U.S. standards in multiple sections of the city. The vibe is pretentious in areas, but more relaxed and let live in others. It will always attract a certain crowd, but I am seeing it trend upward over the past couple years, and the freeway system revamp of the 101 is a good look for the Phoenix metro, some of the best highways exist in the Country exist here.

To end this, I am glad to see Phoenix is growing. I appreciate the desert, but I am off climbing the ladder of success out east. Until I return in July I hope the progress continues on strong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 09:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
I'm sad that Jobot closed, but I am sure it will relocate close by.

Jobot already announced they are reopening: Jobot Coffee, Cartel to reopen in downtown Phoenix

Yeah, lots of positive progress all over the valley. The new in DT Phoenix and Tempe has only continued to get stronger with many new developments in the works, even with the roughly 10,000 or so units already going up or recently opened. It's a great time to be in the valley.

Enjoy the East, I was over there for a few years but couldn't wait to get back to my home city.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
It's so much better in Central Phoenix. A lot of people who live in the Phoenix area don't ever come to Central Phoenix. Or if they do, it's a trip in for some state office or meeting, and they don't see anything anyway. So they are still holding on to 1990s Phoenix in their heads.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:29 PM

76 posts, read 77,121 times
How's Phoenix for young adults? preferably from the age ranges of 21-34, are more of them moving in or out?

Old 01-08-2017, 06:30 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Phoenix has definitely become more of a real city in the last few years, not just a large sprawling mass of low density development. In fact, in the past decade I've noticed less of a push to develop on the fringes, and more of a demand & interest for infill and revitalizing the urban cores. For the most part, this is good. I will say that Phoenix and many of its suburbs should have never annexed so much exurban land in the '80s & '90s because much of that land is still undeveloped & probably will be for many years.

As I've stated in other threads, Phoenix is still lacking a large corporate presence, and this is very important. Some people balk at big corporations, including (and especially) financial institutions ... however, like them or not, they do play a major part in helping their communities & bringing in higher paying jobs. Phoenix is the sixth largest city in the nation and close to being one of the ten largest metro areas. We can no longer act like a small city that thrives on sunshine, snowbirds, and small business. Our population alone should force us to behave like the big city we truly are.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 PM

594 posts, read 698,933 times
Hey Boiwonder, we're glad you noticed the strides that a cast of thousands has made to establish the Valley as a player in this alpha debate.
This Valley continues to produced some fine cacti and one of them I see is growing strong in the ATL !

Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 PM

169 posts, read 281,358 times
Phoenix is definitely feeling more urban but we are still lacking a grocery store downtown which discourages people from moving there. It's amazing how the little things can make a huge difference. Yes, I know there is a Frys proposed to built but I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
Phoenix is definitely feeling more urban but we are still lacking a grocery store downtown which discourages people from moving there. It's amazing how the little things can make a huge difference. Yes, I know there is a Frys proposed to built but I'll believe it when I see it.
The Fry's is supposed to be housed in a new highrise (or is it really a midrise?) ... and I agree, I'll believe it when I see it. There have been countless other projects that sound promising, only to either be needlessly delayed or completely scrapped. One of which is the Central Station tower, which was announced about 3 years ago, but now it's on hold indefinitely. I'd like to see Phoenix grow UP in the literal sense ... not just add a bunch of low or midrise residences that are 10 or 15 stories at the most. Maybe instead of so many residences, there could be more hotels, as well as increased incentive for reputable businesses to locate downtown in office towers instead of in the suburbs.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:14 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
When we moved here in the 60's Phoenix and surrounding areas were attractive to those who enjoyed the rural lifestyle. People bought large lots or acreage and many had horses or other animals. Central Phoenix and in Scottsdale you had many dirt roads and saw horse riders all the time.
Then later the city slickers started to move in and change the area to an urban style. Phoenix and it's close in suburbs areas have now lost that western style and open spaces feeling.

Scottsdale, horses have
the right-a-way.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:28 PM

169 posts, read 281,358 times
@wit-nit

It's nice to indulge in nostalgia but Phoenix is not a theme park to be preserved for the enjoyment of tourists seeking horses and cowboys. It's a living breathing modern city. The current trend of urban sprawl and traffic jams is tremendously damaging to the unique desert environment surrounding the metro so it's critical that we build upwards and densify our urban core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area