Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
wow! Mine went up MAYBE $5 (if that? I can't remember honestly)? Clean record, full coverage. I'd do some shopping around if I were you!
Ive been with Geico, Country Companies, All State, and am currently with State Farm, who I found to be the best. In fact, we've been with them for 15 yrs now almost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBeachBum View Post
A little background, my wife and I are early/mid 30's with 3 kids, one school aged, two infants. We currently live in Houston, TX but have been looking to make a huge life change. I grew up in Florida and have made stops in Tennessee and Louisiana, she's never lived outside of the Houston area. We're tired of life in "the big city" although we do love an "urban/downtown" lifestyle, we're tired of the rampant crime that comes with living in a huge city like Houston.
So why are you thinking about Phoenix if you're tired of big city life? Phoenix might be smaller than Houston overall, but it's not that much smaller, and you're still going to find many of the big city problems here like you do in Houston or any other large city. The exception of course would be to find a nice quiet suburb or outlying area where you won't have as much traffic or crime. One big drawback to that, however, is your urban/downtown lifestyle would be more out of reach.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Phoenix is much different than "big cities"

It's essentially sprawling suburbia with some urban and country elements mixed in

Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 PM

89 posts, read 95,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Is there anyone that's currently living in the Phoenix area that can share their transition from Texas to Arizona? LOTS of ex-Texans here. Besides CA plates, I probably see more TX plates than anything else. I guess everyone's sick of that crappy TX weather?
LoL, I think it's more of wanting to escape from the huge cities and crime. I've seen a lot of people kinda raise eyebrows at me when I posted that I wanted to escape the big city and crime that comes with it because Phoenix is a rather large city itself, at least population wise, but Phoenix and Arizona as a whole seem to be so spread out with a lot of room to move about, whereas where I live in Houston it's pretty much cookie cutter subdivisions and non-ending apartment complexes.

I guess when it comes down to it, I've spent so much time in the Southeast with green forests, humidity, mosquitoes, and so on, that it'd be nice to have a change of scenery and escape our comfort zone.

I don't want to sound like a small person, but I really have no desire to live in California or New Mexico because of their politics. I've never had an appeal towards Nevada, and Utah seems to be full of weirdos, so Arizona was pretty much it for us.

We've seen a lot of photos and think it's beautiful. We're planning a trip out that way hopefully in March or April.

When I moved to Houston, my first summer was pretty much 20+ straight days of temps above 105, and I seemed to handle it alright..

Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 PM

89 posts, read 95,214 times
I appreciate everyone's replies, I thought for a fact that my thread would get buried without anymore replies, so thank you!

I actually went through the Phoenix real estate guide and used an address from a house that's for sale to get an insurance quote. I'm with Geico and with the zip code 85040, my 6 month premium only increased by $110, so I'm not too worried about that now.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
LoL, I think it's more of wanting to escape from the huge cities and crime. I've seen a lot of people kinda raise eyebrows at me when I posted that I wanted to escape the big city and crime that comes with it because Phoenix is a rather large city itself, at least population wise, but Phoenix and Arizona as a whole seem to be so spread out with a lot of room to move about, whereas where I live in Houston it's pretty much cookie cutter subdivisions and non-ending apartment complexes.

I guess when it comes down to it, I've spent so much time in the Southeast with green forests, humidity, mosquitoes, and so on, that it'd be nice to have a change of scenery and escape our comfort zone.

I don't want to sound like a small person, but I really have no desire to live in California or New Mexico because of their politics. I've never had an appeal towards Nevada, and Utah seems to be full of weirdos, so Arizona was pretty much it for us.

We've seen a lot of photos and think it's beautiful. We're planning a trip out that way hopefully in March or April.

When I moved to Houston, my first summer was pretty much 20+ straight days of temps above 105, and I seemed to handle it alright..

Thanks for the reply!
You aren't going to escape cookie cutter subdivisions and apartment complexes here unless you stay out of the suburbs. I like to refer to Gilbert and Chandler as Chanbert because it all blurs together for me Add to the mix never ending strip malls and that's the valley in a nutshell.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
To the OP- It's possible to find neighborhoods, generally somewhat older, in both Phoenix and the suburbs that do not have that cookie cutter feel. A lot depends on where you end up working, your budget, and what other things you want to be close to.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:58 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Well, the seemingly endless cookie cutter development is very evident in the Phoenix area as well. It's spread out much like Houston is ... and yes, Houston is bigger, but you're likely going to find the same kind of sprawling suburbia here like you do there. You are correct that Arizona as a state has more room and is less crowded than much of Texas. The population numbers say it all: 26 million in Texas vs. 7 million in Arizona!

Quote:
The scenery is much more diverse in Arizona than it is in Texas or much of the south. This is one thing I really like about AZ: when you want to escape the desert environment, or the summer heat in Phoenix, you can easily drive about 2 hours to the north or east & be in a much different environment within the same state, which consists of greenery, pine forests, and fresh mountain air.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
wow! Mine went up MAYBE $5 (if that? I can't remember honestly)? Clean record, full coverage. I'd do some shopping around if I were you!

Who is your insurance carrier, if you don't mind sharing??

Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Who is your insurance carrier, if you don't mind sharing??
I have Progressive. When I got to AZ I got quotes from numerous companies and they came in significantly lower than anyone else. I have been satisfied with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area