Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:41 PM

96 posts, read 93,245 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are still consindering Phoenix. Right now, we are looking at Surprise, Peoria, Litchfield Park, and Fountain Hills. I was looking at Queen Creek and Mesa, but Mesa looks like it's a very busy/congested area (correct me if I'm wrong). Mesa looks like it has a ton of apartment complexes also so that's why I question if it is a congested/busy area.
Planning on coming out in April to explore.

With that being said, we are looking for a quiet/not very fast paced area (but close to common amenities) with a low crime rate. I won't bring up cost of living because I know there are expensive and cheap areas in every town. Plus, we're looking to rent for now. So, we want to live close enough to shops and restaurants, but not live somewhere where it's a 4 lane highway and crazy traffic immediately upon pulling out of our apartment complex.

I really like the look of Scottsdale and although I did say cost of living isn't a factor at this moment, I think it may be a tad too much for rental properties there. The ones that were affordable, I wasn't that fond of. But, I like the look of the area so I thought I'd use that as an example.

We also know that the brown cloud that occasionally happens tends to come from west to east and settles in the eastern part of the city (again, correct me if I'm wrong), so other than Mesa, that's why were looking at towns northeast/northwest of central Phoenix.

Any recommendations? I posted a thread for this a few weeks ago, but thought I'd try again. With our careers, I'm not concerned where in Phoenix...As long as it's within Phoenix or within 30 minutes of Phoenix.

Thanks!

Last edited by KLR87; 01-18-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,161,878 times
If you are working from home...anywhere in the valley would suit. Scottsdale/Cave Creek/Carefree/Paradise Valley tend to be pricier than other areas. If you are looking to stay North than I would look at Anthem. Small town living with all the necessities within a reasonable drive into "town".

Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 PM

1,013 posts, read 980,699 times
Northern Peoria, and Surprise are very nice areas with new amenities coming every day.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:44 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Mesa is not "busy and congested".

All of the areas you mention have mostly good areas and apartments with a few patches of not so good areas. But, unless you both work from home, selecting an apartment BEFORE you know your job location is nuts, imho. Heck, even if you get an apartment in the city of Phoenix, it can be more than a 30 minute drive to your job in another part of Phoenix.

AND if you want to be with 30 minutes of Phoenix, drop Litchfield, Queen Creek, most of Mesa, and Fountain Hills off your list right now.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

All of the areas you mention have mostly good areas and apartments with a few patches of not so good areas. But, unless you both work from home, selecting an apartment BEFORE you know your job location is nuts, imho. Heck, even if you get an apartment in the city of Phoenix, it can be more than a 30 minute drive to your job in another part of Phoenix.

AND if you want to be with 30 minutes of Phoenix, drop Litchfield, Queen Creek, most of Mesa, and Fountain Hills off your list right now.
And Surprise and most of Peoria too. If cost isn't a driver, I see no reason to live so far out. People move out there so they can get more house than they could elsewhere.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:05 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,913,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
And Surprise and most of Peoria too. If cost isn't a driver, I see no reason to live so far out. People move out there so they can get more house than they could elsewhere.
they also move to the sticks for fear of crime. A fear I believe to be unfounded. I've lived in central phoenix foe over three years and nothing bad has happened, just a few homeless.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:42 AM

39,103 posts, read 51,306,911 times
Most anywhere someone would want to live (in suburbia) is 30 minutes from downtown Phoenix in rush hour at least. Then again, unless one works downtown, there is very little reason to ever go there. Most people have not been there in a long time if at all.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,664,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most anywhere someone would want to live (in suburbia) is 30 minutes from downtown Phoenix in rush hour at least. Then again, unless one works downtown, there is very little reason to ever go there. Most people have not been there in a long time if at all.
I disagree. I live in suburbia and go downtown often, as do many people that I know that live in Scottsdale, Tempe and Chandler. There's lots to do and having a taste of an urban environment is a nice break from normal suburban doings. You're missing out on some great restaurants and entertainment if you never stray from your bubble.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Well my husband is in law enforcement and they told him that they allow you to choose an area or two where you'd like to live and they'll work with you in trying to get you near that area. And I'm in health care so I'm not too concerned about myself. And I feel like it's wise to decide what areas you'd want to live before packing up and moving across the country. I don't want to end up moving and hating the area or moving into a crappy part of town. We wouldn't just move to Arizona before having jobs and whatnot lined up, but finding an area where we'd want to call home is a starting place.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
But aren't those areas more quieter? That's kind of what we are looking for. We don't want to have to drive 30 minutes to the closest grocery store, but we don't want to live somewhere where it's very face paced or congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area