Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 AM

9,750 posts, read 11,174,324 times

Advertisements

I lived at home when I went to college (as in, my own single family home at age 21). Like ASU, my college was a massive campus with over 60K+ students (UofMN). So I am not sure how much I missed out on a massive sized campus. I got married at age 21 and started college while working full time. So Honeywell foot the bill while I worked full time. It helped make me who I am. That said, I certainly wanted my kids to have the opportunity to live on campus. I did feel like I missed out on something and wanted them to have that opportunity. They loved living on/near campus. In fact, both are still by the campus at their respective (advanced degree) colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:47 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,747,420 times
Just one person's opinion, but I think that half the value on a college education is life on/near campus. I also think that is better for the school not to be in the same metropolitan area.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:55 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,024,319 times
I'd sure love to finish up my accounting degree at ASU. Before I moved out here a few years ago I was going to the University of S. Florida. I was paying cash for my courses while I worked. USF was around $200 per credit hour.

But it looks tuition here is $500 - $630 per credit hour:
https://asuonline.asu.edu/what-it-costs

That's without fees and books, plus they add on another $125 because I've exceeded a certain amount of hours.

It's depressing, I only have around 12 more classes to go, but that would cost me upwards of $50,000 dollars just to take 12 more classes (that couldn't be right, is it?). I don't even make half of that in a year's salary, plus I still have to eat and put a roof over my head. It says on that webpage, "ASU named best buy"...really $2300 a class? That would come out to about 80 cents/minute for classtime.

Looks like I'm just going to have to swallow my pride and switch over to GCC for one of their computer network programs.

Last edited by New Horizons; 02-03-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 02-06-2017, 06:03 AM

9,750 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I'd sure love to finish up my accounting degree I only have around 12 more classes to go, but that would cost me upwards of $50,000 dollars just to take 12 more classes (that couldn't be right, is it?). I don't even make half of that in a year's salary, plus I still have to eat and put a roof over my head. It says on that webpage, "ASU named best buy"...really $2300 a class? That would come out to about 80 cents/minute for classtime.
Dear Accounting Major. 12 classes @ $2300/class ==$27,600 (not $50,000).

That said, make an appointment to the financial aid office and talk with an expert at ASU. My guess is there are subsidy dollars somewhere. Did you check out FAFSA? Plug and chug $$'s into the FAFSA calculator and figure out if you can get some subsidizes which is one option out of many possibilities.

Way back when while working full time, I had Honeywell pay for my degree. So employers pay. So check with work (or find a job where they offer that benefit.)

Having ASU on your diploma is worth something (networking and more clout than a tier 3 school). But keep in mind colleges refuse to give you a degree unless you have X amount of credits at that school. Furthermore, if you wanted to graduate from the W.P. Carey business school with that accounting degree, many times top programs at state Flagships are extremely competitive. I know their MBA has a 14% acceptance rate. So you have some additional research homework before you tackle the school homework.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:02 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,780 times
New Horizons, did you check out taking some of your remaining classes through a community college and then transferring all of those credits plus your credits from Florida to ASU for your Bachelor degree? You need to talk to an academic advisor at the community college or ASU to find out what is necessary to complete your degree.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:32 PM

640 posts, read 958,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

Way back when while working full time, I had Honeywell pay for my degree. So employers pay. So check with work (or find a job where they offer that benefit.)
Starbucks will pay full tuition for ASU online for their employees, including part timers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area