Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 908 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So I'm new to this forum, been lurking a while but haven't ever posted. Finally registered today.

So a little background about me before I post my question. I'm totally blind, and live in Indianapolis. As a disabled person, I find myself very interested in researching and comparing different cities and their options for people with disabilities. For instance, how walkable are they? How is the public transit? Is the weather decent?

It's always kind of been my dream to move away from Indianapolis. I hate the winters here as the snow piles up and makes walking to bus stops and such very difficult. Also, as many of you probably know, Indianapolis is not only spread out and car-dependent, but there are many parts of the city with no crosswalks or sidewalks whatsoever. I won't even venture to these parts of the city without a ride from someone.

I am not wanting to move right now, and I may never be able to do so financially. However, if I could live anywhere, given my research, I think I'd like to live in either Tempe or Phoenix, AZ. I love heat, and despise cold. Also the public transit there seems great. Not New York or Boston great, but compared to here, stellar. Phoenix has the light rail, and it seems that most buses run 30 minutes or better, even on weekends, and many run until 11 or 12 at night. Here in Indy, 60 minutes is the headway for many bus routes on non-peek hours, and we don't have any kind of rapid or rail service. As a blind person who relies on public transit, this makes things difficult. I am fortunate to live in a part of town where buses come relatively often and it's pretty walkable and safe, but elsewhere in the city, it's not easy.

However, in my research, I've discovered that most people consider Phoenix and Tempe to be incredibly car-dependent. There's a lot of talk about the difficulties for pedestrians and a lackluster transit system. But when I've searched things such as, "phoenix, lack of sidewalks," I don't really get any hits, whereas the same search regarding Indianapolis will bring up page after page of results on the topic of not enough sidewalks here. So what do you all think? Don't compare Phoenix to a well-known pedestrian city, like D.c., New York, or Chicago. I'm trying to compare it to Indianapolis and which one is easier to navigate as a totally blind person who walks and relies on public transit. I'm aware of the sprawl issue, and that you can't walk to most places, you'd have to either drive or take transit. But how is the Phoenix metro area with regards to sidewalk coverage? Are there a lot of crosswalks?

Ya know, just in case I ever get out of the rather inaccessible, weather-bipolar Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Phoenix is what I call "semi-walkable", meaning that if youre right downtown, you can walk most places. That being said, right outside of downtown is semi-walkable, meaning that its up to the individual's opinion. SOme will say its walkable, others wont. Regarding sidewalks? Sidewalks are ample, and crosswalks are about as good as they come (even complete with noises to indicate when its clear to walk or not). Let it be known that the distance between uptown and downtown is quite vast, and in the summer it would be hell making that trek (unless you like burning and profuse sweating). However, the light rail runs all the way up, so that can all but eliminate walking. Summers here, if you plan on walking, are brutal. Bring plenty of water, and stay in the shade to help alleviate some of the torture. haha

Old 01-24-2017, 01:46 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Tempe has the best public transit in the Valley, particularly if you stay north of the Superstitiion Freeway, as there are free neighborhood circulator buses in that area. The General Plan 2040 in Tempe is, in part, intended to make Tempe residents less dependent on cars, so making destinations within the city more quickly accessible by walking, transit (or bike, which would not apply to you).

As you know, Metro Phoenix as a whole is pretty spread out. Depending on your needs, there may be some other areas that are walkable enough. Residential streets may or may not have sidewalks, depending on the specific area. At major streets, yes, there are crosswalks, many with the newer audible pedestrian signals, as noted.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:47 PM

992 posts, read 876,254 times
As a general rule, the square formed by Scottsdale, Biltmore, Downtown, and Tempe is walkable, with the exception of some low density neighborhoods around Camelback.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Unlike Indy, most suburban areas of Phoenix still have sidewalks. Cities are very good about requiring sidewalks with new development.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I would also think that another plus would be no winter weather to worry about. No snow piles or ice patches to dodge!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Plus, Indy is a dump. The quality of life here compared to there, well there is no comparison.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:31 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmrobinson1988 View Post
However, in my research, I've discovered that most people consider Phoenix and Tempe to be incredibly car-dependent.
I think pretty much everything outside of the DC to Boston megalopolis is "car-dependent, and even in that corridor there are still plenty of people who still love driving their cars and sitting in traffic!

Old 01-25-2017, 02:32 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Phoenix is what I call "semi-walkable", meaning that if youre right downtown, you can walk most places. That being said, right outside of downtown is semi-walkable, meaning that its up to the individual's opinion. SOme will say its walkable, others wont. Regarding sidewalks? Sidewalks are ample, and crosswalks are about as good as they come (even complete with noises to indicate when its clear to walk or not). Let it be known that the distance between uptown and downtown is quite vast, and in the summer it would be hell making that trek (unless you like burning and profuse sweating). However, the light rail runs all the way up, so that can all but eliminate walking. Summers here, if you plan on walking, are brutal. Bring plenty of water, and stay in the shade to help alleviate some of the torture. haha
Is this hi-jacking? Just me know. I'll start my own thread. Thanks.

Just how "brutal" are the summers? How high the temps? How long does summer last? Do you have any humidity? Thinking about moving to Phoenix -- but scared of the summers. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:02 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Is this hi-jacking? Just me know. I'll start my own thread. Thanks.

Just how "brutal" are the summers? How high the temps? How long does summer last? Do you have any humidity? Thinking about moving to Phoenix -- but scared of the summers. Thanks.
Randomly pick almost any thread on this forum and you will find a discussion about weather. I'm only half kidding!

Seriously, though, there are many, many, many, many threads n that topic. Please use the search feature and you will find more information on Phoenix summer than you could ever possibly know.

(this is why we need a WEATHER sticky on this forum, IMO)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area