Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 AM

83 posts, read 75,626 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am new on this site so sorry if I ramble a bit. My husband is retired and wants to "snowbird", but I still need to work. Is it possible to find employment during the seasonal/winter tourist season? I am a 40-something with experience in the social services and familiar with Elder issues, but willing to work at something different.
If this is possible, I would appreciate a point in the right direction from people who would know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
This is hard, since you would be quitting after 5-6 months to go to your other home. But, alot of retail places are hiring now, and I have seen help wanted signs all over in places. Social services mostly wants a full time comittment year round, so I wouldn't even bother with that. Look in your local stores for signs and see if there is something that interests you.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:15 AM

640 posts, read 957,173 times
Hotels/Resorts come to mind. They staff up quite a bit for the season and might have seasonal positions.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:01 PM

113 posts, read 159,844 times
The original poster did not mention if she is an American or Canadian snowbird. If you're Canadian, you are unable to work without a work visa.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
This is hard, since you would be quitting after 5-6 months to go to your other home. But, alot of retail places are hiring now, and I have seen help wanted signs all over in places. Social services mostly wants a full time comittment year round, so I wouldn't even bother with that. Look in your local stores for signs and see if there is something that interests you.
Thanks for the info. That is really helpful.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX Newbie View Post
The original poster did not mention if she is an American or Canadian snowbird. If you're Canadian, you are unable to work without a work visa.
I know. I am American.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Hotels/Resorts come to mind. They staff up quite a bit for the season and might have seasonal positions.
Thank you.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:52 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,028 times
One idea that you might consider is Tax Preparation. Every tax season tax preparation companies hire preparers to work from Jan through March. Large companies like H&R Block and Liberty Tax service will train you and their training is pretty good. Many CPAs hire people after they have worked a year or two at a retail preparer. You can even work your way up to becoming an Enrolled Agent and they will pay for it. If you develop some expertise you can usually work before and after the season helping clients that have non-standard returns.

The money is not terrific, but the work is interesting (you would be surprised the stuff people try to pull) and clean. You can set your own hours for the most part. And you can do it for the rest of your life.

So if you are somewhat intelligent and trainable it is a great option for seasonal work.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
One idea that you might consider is Tax Preparation. Every tax season tax preparation companies hire preparers to work from Jan through March. Large companies like H&R Block and Liberty Tax service will train you and their training is pretty good. Many CPAs hire people after they have worked a year or two at a retail preparer. You can even work your way up to becoming an Enrolled Agent and they will pay for it. If you develop some expertise you can usually work before and after the season helping clients that have non-standard returns.

The money is not terrific, but the work is interesting (you would be surprised the stuff people try to pull) and clean. You can set your own hours for the most part. And you can do it for the rest of your life.

So if you are somewhat intelligent and trainable it is a great option for seasonal work.
Wow. Thank you.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
There are some insurance companies that have remote/work from home positions that would be year-round but it doesn't matter where you are working from. Also some distributed call center positions...just some things to look into if you have a tough time finding seasonal work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area