Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:00 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,537 times

Advertisements

The problems I have with it are that unlike the bus, for the most part you are on the honor system whether or not you have paid to ride. (unless it has changed), there are police who ride it to catch people but they are only ride on certain days. The homeless/transients we have around here then started using the light rail to travel to the opposite sides of the city to commit crime. There was a break in almost right after the dunlap expansion opened up. The buses need a driver who can keep an eye on everyone coming on, but there is no tracking system to keep track of who is just getting on.

What I really like about it is; during "drinking holidays" such as New years, and St. Patricks day, I think there are a few more; they run the light rail (usually free) till 2 am. I love the safety factor that provides at the prime time to keep all those extra drunk drivers off the road.

I have used it a few times myself; from downtown, and to and from the airport. Downtown was during rush hour, and it was incredibly quick. If I was driving it would have taken me 2-3 times as long. When I took it to and from the airport, it goes right to the terminal. It was during the summer, and you don't even go outside.

Its got its problems, but I am a fan of it, and enjoy using it when its the best option, even though I don't live close enough to just walk to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM

83 posts, read 76,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
The problems I have with it are that unlike the bus, for the most part you are on the honor system whether or not you have paid to ride. (unless it has changed), there are police who ride it to catch people but they are only ride on certain days. The homeless/transients we have around here then started using the light rail to travel to the opposite sides of the city to commit crime. There was a break in almost right after the dunlap expansion opened up. The buses need a driver who can keep an eye on everyone coming on, but there is no tracking system to keep track of who is just getting on.

What I really like about it is; during "drinking holidays" such as New years, and St. Patricks day, I think there are a few more; they run the light rail (usually free) till 2 am. I love the safety factor that provides at the prime time to keep all those extra drunk drivers off the road.

I have used it a few times myself; from downtown, and to and from the airport. Downtown was during rush hour, and it was incredibly quick. If I was driving it would have taken me 2-3 times as long. When I took it to and from the airport, it goes right to the terminal. It was during the summer, and you don't even go outside.

Its got its problems, but I am a fan of it, and enjoy using it when its the best option, even though I don't live close enough to just walk to it.
Thank you for your well thought out opinion. I think any public transport is a benefit for sure. Nothing is perfect, but it has some good points and many use it.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:12 AM

83 posts, read 76,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Heavy rail is like the Chicago L or NYC Subway, same rail gauge as freight cars, and is capable of speeds up to 70mph. Where light rail is only capable of speeds up to about 35mph and is lighter gauge rail tracks
Thanks. Did not know that.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM

7,333 posts, read 12,414,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjoan View Post
Thanks. Did not know that.
Also, heavy rail is usually powered by a third rail, while light rail is usually powered by overhead wire.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 AM

226 posts, read 228,335 times
I am also surprised at the apparent lack of enforcement for ticket violations on the light rail. Yes, there is transit security, but if you're smart, it's pretty easy to hop off the train when you see the white shirts boarding. Just move to another car, or wait a few minutes for another train. The homeless people do it all the time. Lots of them just ride the light rail up and down all day long for free. (Looking for jobs I presume? Yeah, uh huh.)

On the other hand, maybe they can't afford additional officers to catch the fare jumpers...

Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
I am also surprised at the apparent lack of enforcement for ticket violations on the light rail. Yes, there is transit security, but if you're smart, it's pretty easy to hop off the train when you see the white shirts boarding. Just move to another car, or wait a few minutes for another train. The homeless people do it all the time. Lots of them just ride the light rail up and down all day long for free. (Looking for jobs I presume? Yeah, uh huh.)
Evidence that this is actually true?

How would you actually know if people were riding the train all day? Do you hang out at the end points and watch to see if incoming passengers stay on the train? Or do you see a poor person on the train and assume that they are riding for free?

Old 02-23-2017, 01:01 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post

On the other hand, maybe they can't afford additional officers to catch the fare jumpers...

They don't only have fare checkers on certain days. I don't keep track, and I don't ride every day, but I would guess that over time, I've been checked every day of the week. On some trips, I've been checked more than once. I often watch the fare checkers as they go through the cars, I've very rarely seen someone not produce a ticket or pass. Just how much time do you spend riding the rail back and forth across town?

Quote:

I don't think that many people ride the train across town so that they can commit crime. So there was a breakin right after they opened the Dunlap segment. I'm sure there were breakins before that, too. Can you say for a fact that the person who committed the breakin took the rail to get there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Evidence that this is actually true?

How would you actually know if people were riding the train all day? Do you hang out at the end points and watch to see if incoming passengers stay on the train? Or do you see a poor person on the train and assume that they are riding for free?
Exactly.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:17 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:

The main issue with light rail is it's public transportation. With that, you get a fair share of bums, transients, and rude people. It's a mix of all types really. I used to come across quite a few types like that on the city bus system, and some who tried to get out of paying the fare. There should definitely be some kind of computerized or turnstyle system that makes you prove that you paid before boarding the light rail trains. But even then, it still won't completely stop the sleaze factor.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The main issue with light rail is it's public transportation. With that, you get a fair share of bums, transients, and rude people. It's a mix of all types really. I used to come across quite a few types like that on the city bus system, and some who tried to get out of paying the fare. There should definitely be some kind of computerized or turnstyle (sic) system that makes you prove that you paid before boarding the light rail trains. But even then, it still won't completely stop the sleaze factor.
Turnstiles don't work with at-grade systems. All you would have to do to bypass it is to step down on the tracks before the turnstile and step back up onto the platform beyond the turnstile.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Turnstiles don't work with at-grade systems. All you would have to do to bypass it is to step down on the tracks before the turnstile and step back up onto the platform beyond the turnstile.
I agree but because the trains don't have fareboxes, there should be more security guards or law enforcement to ensure passengers are buying tickets.

The honor system doesn't work and public transportation loses a lot of money because too many people are cheating the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area