Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 08:46 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times

Advertisements

Hi Neighbors,

I'm about to lose my pool to algae. We had it replastered and refilled and ever since then I have a hard time fighting them. Before I needed just one chlorine tab in the skimmer and it was good year round. Now I have an additional floater with two more tabs and still, it keeps coming back. So I shock it and then they come back again. I added the recommended amount of copper sulfate right after refilling and I use the chlorine tabs with copper. Very frustrating. So now I'm thinking about getting a solar pool ionizer which basically drops more copper into the water. Do you have any experience with these? - What I want is a robust system that ensures the absence of algae and I don't have to constantly watch it. I understand I will still need chlorine tabs and I'm ok with that. I just want my peace from these pesky algae. Will these ionizers last in the brutal Phoenix sun? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 10:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Do you have stabilizer in your pool? The chlorine will not last if you're not using stabilizer along with it.

Have your CYA level checked, I'll bet that is it.

I've had my pool for 9 years and only mess with it every one or two weeks. Never had algae in my pool. I do have a saltwater pool though.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:16 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
If you have been using the chlorine tabs then you have been adding CYA which is a stabilizer. If you use the tabs long enough, you will add too much stabilizer and no matter how much chlorine you use, it will be ineffective.
When your chemicals are correct, you shouldn't need anything more than chlorine and perhaps a little muriatic acid to keep the PH in check.
Your pool is not balanced and until you find out why, you can add all kinds of stuff and your water will still turn green.
By the way, when you add copper, it will stain your pool walls and is very difficult to remove.
Find your problem......don't add to it.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:45 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
How long ago was it drained and refilled?

If you have been consistently using tabs for years, your CYA level will become much too high and the chlorine you're adding will be virtually useless.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:43 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
He said he had it refilled so I was assuming that was recently. Maybe not. It would take a while for the CYA to get to a proper level if just using pucks as the source of the CYA.

If it has been awhile since the refill, too much CYA could be an issue.

Also, I wouldn't be adding copper to my pool water. Chlorine, CYA, and muriatic acid are all you should be adding.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:06 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Newly plastered pools push the pH high as the plaster leaches and cures. Eventually this stops, but in the meantime, keep an eye on pH adding acid as needed. If it gets above 7.6 chlorine is ineffective and the algae will take over. Take it easy with the copper. It can stain your plaster.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:47 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Thanks. Many good points to look into.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:51 PM

186 posts, read 195,428 times
Go to trouble free pool.com and learn how to take care of your pool simply and cheaply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area