Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:38 AM

265 posts, read 350,244 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I currently live in Marlborough, Massachusetts, and I very much like it here, I have a great steady job (I am an IT professional), but I have a situation where I might have to move to AZ:

My family, including is not liking it up here in MA at all, it is too depressing for them (Sorry no offense to anyone), we were about to move a couple of years ago, but plans fell through when I got my first position in IT so I though I should just build a foundation and improve my IT experience and just settle in Mass, which we did, so we bought a house in Marlboro, MA.

But like I said, my family is not happy here at all, and family always comes first, so we are thinking to move to AZ.

I believe I posted something like this before but like I said we ended up staying in Mass.

What do you advise? I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out, we are thinking to move (If we move) late this year and we are thinking to rent a house first and see how things go.

What parts are good? We have family and friends in Chandler but I kind of liked Scottsdale based on online reviews but I would love to hear from you anyways.

Thank you all for reading and let me know if you have any questions for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:57 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,301,274 times
Both are nice. If you like mountains and desert Scottsdale is your choice. If you are OK with flat and like green, water and shade trees Chandler would be a better choice (although there are green areas in Scottsdale too, just not as much choice). Scottsdale has more resorts and more abundance of higher end shopping and dining, but Chandler is no slouch in that department either. I would base it on your own preferences and commute.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,178,634 times
Scottsdale is (in general) more expensive for housing but as asufan noted, has the mountains. Chandler is flat, like farmland flat...since that is what we used to be. Both have green spaces, both have mature trees etc. Both have good School districts.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 AM

555 posts, read 864,781 times
OP, what is your budget? What kind of amenities are you looking for? I'm assuming the weather back east is what is depressing your family?

Old 02-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
OP, what is your budget? What kind of amenities are you looking for? I'm assuming the weather back east is what is depressing your family?
Not looking to buy right now since I need to first find a job, so I was looking to rent for the first 6 months or 1 year until I have a steady job in AZ so I can show the bank. Yes, the weather is main issue for my family not me though, since I really love the cold.

I am looking on Zillow, and believe me housing is not as expensive as where I live, plus the Property tax is much more cheaper than where I live right now. (I looked at Chandler's listings)

Old 02-15-2017, 12:49 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,612,841 times
Would still need to know your monthly budget for rent. If you've only got $1,000 for rent, then Scottsdale would be out.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:04 PM

555 posts, read 864,781 times
Rents can be had for 1000$ in Scottsdale, although not right in Old Town

Old 02-15-2017, 01:35 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,301,274 times
Quote:
Not for a family. Neither in Chandler as well. Family homes in either area can be had for substantially less than most of the Boston area however.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:43 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,745,864 times
Chandler puts you closer to the "technology corridor" and as others said, good school district and is more diverse than many of the other cities out here. I am from Massachusetts as well and don't miss the cold or winters! C'mon out if you can.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Assuming I won't be having a huge pay cut (switch jobs). Anything up to $1,400 a month (3 BR, 2 Bath) regular house. I also noticed that in Arizona, Auto insurance is cut in half comparing with Mass, so that is easily $600-1000 a year difference, not a huge difference but it is something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area