Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,097,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckM8 View Post
Other than to tell you, it takes a few dedicated people to fix things. Everybody has their idiots in the neighborhood. In my neighborhood, I can't attend the blockwatch meetings, but I have made a greater attempt to get more involved with my community. It takes passionate people to turn things around. Martin Luther King didn't turn things around by cowering. A house is the biggest investment you will probably ever make, and nobody else is going to protect it. If you have people committing illegal acts in your community, you can still make phone calls to the police. You can bug the city councilman, the mayor, and etc. My point is there are things you can do that don't cost anything and won't get you turned in.

Just curious, what community do you reside in Laveen?
I do believe in what you are saying and have made the calls along with a lot of other concerned people but other than patrolling more they can't really do anything unless they catch them in the act. I live in Chandler. Not the bad part either. It's in the Kyrene school district and considered a good area. This has all transpired this year. More and more rentals seems to be the problem. People move in and out, don't take care of it. Some do, but most don't. The teens around here are getting so disrespectful. If you try and talk to them they tell you to "shut up *****" etc. I talked to their parents and they tell me they are really good kids and they are sure they didn't do anything. But it seems no use really. This is the first time I don't feel I have some control. I am never one to sit bye and just watch but this time it's a little bit different. My teens would be grounded if that many neighbors complained to me about them. I mean, why would a bunch of adults care what they are doing if it wasn't harmful. The few of us left are just worried about our comps falling down even more. I've rented a house before and always had a lawn guy included and took complaints seriously. It's about respect. There are other problems, but I don't want to load up yet another thread. lol I do hear what your saying though, maybe I'll try a little harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM

5 posts, read 8,330 times
I'm a reporter at the Wall Street Journal and I'm looking to find folks who are wrestling with the decision of whether or not they should walk away, even if they could handle the mortgage payments, simply because the investment isn't sound anymore. If anyone out there is willing to share their story, ping me back, or email nick.timiraos@wsj.com. Thanks, Nick

Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,793,070 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/mortg...-okay-not.html

Check that thread, too -- there are quite a number dealing with this issue.

Good luck -- I know there are a lot of people in need of help!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:50 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,419,720 times
Default A typical Phoenix situation

Another homeowner in foreclosure

Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,301,710 times
Now I am a little worried. As of now, we are renting an apartment. However, since prices are much more affordable we are looking to purchase our first house. As long as it is a good neighborhood, we should be okay right? I can't imaging prices dropping too much further, but I still don't want to lose a lot of money. Do you think the prices will continue to drop a whole lot more (I know they still will a little, but how much more?). Or should we hold out a little longer??

Old 05-30-2008, 08:22 AM

611 posts, read 2,312,118 times
It is anyone's guess as to what will still happen in the housing mkt. I think if you want to buy a home in a good neighborhood now, I would because you are wanting to buy a "true home" for yourselves. And, we hear that prices may be at the bottom now. Even if prices fall further, I think it will be small and not drastically like it was.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,301,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Joy View Post
It is anyone's guess as to what will still happen in the housing mkt. I think if you want to buy a home in a good neighborhood now, I would because you are wanting to buy a "true home" for yourselves. And, we hear that prices may be at the bottom now. Even if prices fall further, I think it will be small and not drastically like it was.

Yeah, we want a house because we are tired of renting a one bedroom apartment and are ready to make a home for ourselves and take another step forward in our relationship. We are planning to live in it for 5 years minimum. We are ready to purchase a place to call our own.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:08 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,777,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
Now I am a little worried. As of now, we are renting an apartment. However, since prices are much more affordable we are looking to purchase our first house. As long as it is a good neighborhood, we should be okay right? I can't imaging prices dropping too much further, but I still don't want to lose a lot of money. Do you think the prices will continue to drop a whole lot more (I know they still will a little, but how much more?). Or should we hold out a little longer??
I think as long as home buyers are thinking of housing like they think of stocks, it might be risky to buy now. However, it is as wiggy as predicting the stock market, might go back up and might tank further. I look at our town house as a long term investment. My house is my home. We have lived in other homes that went way down in value for a period of time, but after a few years started to go way up again. We did not run away from our home because it was worth "less that what we owed." I you can't stand the thought of having value drop in something that you purchase, please do not purchas a home...or a car for that matter.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:01 PM

477 posts, read 1,585,397 times
I think right now is a great time to buy! People are getting homes in the $150K'S and lower. If you are in it for the long haul and don't take out any equity when you get a little, I think you will be happy! We didn't touch our equity when we had close to $100K. Now we only have $20K and we are still, just gonna ride it out. But Im happy we didn't touch it, we'd be in a whole different situation. Think about all the people thst cashed in equity, paid off cars and credit cards, and wracked them up again only to now have a new more expensive mortgage.....well, that's half the country! (am I exaggerating?)

Old 05-30-2008, 07:33 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,097,531 times
Just as long as you think the area will stay alive through it all. I live in an area that was a great area for kids, shopping, housing, etc. But because the home prices are falling, and things are failing, it's starting to become an area I would no longer buy in. It's sad, but if you buy while prices are descending, you won't know how the neighborhood will stand up to the pressure. Sometimes it turns into a bad area rather quickly when housing is going down so rapidly. Just keep it in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area