Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I appreciate an honest answer that you "support" businesses here in Phoenix that hire illegal alien labor, feel deporting them is wrong, and the one at the top who swore to enforce our federal immigration laws/all our nations laws upon taking office is also wrong in your view.

I think I can actually hear the few neighbors/friends I know that migrated here legally from Romania and Mexico cringing.
That's not what I said. Read it again. A business' employment practices and their closing as a protest are two different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:11 PM

656 posts, read 814,570 times
Learn how to make tacos... before all the Mexicans are kicked out and all the restaurants close.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I meant that I might support businesses that are closing today as a statement against the Trump immigration policies.
So, you're FOR illegal Alien FELONS is that correct? Because removing them is his current immigration issue that's got people all wound up (here). Unless you're speaking of a temporary stop on people from countries who cannot be properly vetted (due to lack of functioning governments) prior to coming here?

Old 02-16-2017, 05:10 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, you're FOR illegal Alien FELONS is that correct? Because removing them is his current immigration issue that's got people all wound up (here). Unless you're speaking of a temporary stop on people from countries who cannot be properly vetted (due to lack of functioning governments) prior to coming here?
Does it matter that much to you what other people think and do?

Heck, I might have to check out Barrio I've only been to the one in Terminal 4. They should be thanking you for the free press.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,376,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Do what you like. I might just tend to support businesses that are doing it. To each his own. I do a lot of that sort of thing. I don't buy Vanity Fair napkins or Brawny paper towels because they are made by Koch brothers companies. I'll never again go to Discount Tires because they were putting Arpaio signs in their windows. I haven't bought Dial Soap since the 1980s when they put a paid ad (with coupon) in Evan Mecham's vote-for-me-in-the-recall-election tabloid, and don't get me started about Carl's Jr...
Discount tire competitors are the roadside Mexican tire places. And make no mistake those guys hire illegals and screw them hard on pay. Mexicans screwing Mexicans.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Discount tire competitors are the roadside Mexican tire places. And make no mistake those guys hire illegals and screw them hard on pay. Mexicans screwing Mexicans.
And Goodyear and Big O Tires and Costco . . .

Old 02-17-2017, 07:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Does it matter that much to you what other people think and do?

Heck, I might have to check out Barrio I've only been to the one in Terminal 4. They should be thanking you for the free press.
Way to deflect and not back up statements.
I'd guess that closing in sympathy will have a neutral to negative effect on their business short term and will certainly not cause the people they are protesting for to go there as they can't afford it or make the same/better at home for 1/4 the cost.

Most of the people who frequent expensive places like Barrio probably care less if the people who serve them are in chains and residing in the basement, they're just happy to be eating at the "in" place in town so it won't change that customer base but it could/will have a long term negative effect on new customers. I don't know anyone who wants to hear the political beliefs of the person making their taco's and they sure as hell don't want to be insulted by them.
I guess we'll see how it turns out...

Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Way to deflect and not back up statements.
I'd guess that closing in sympathy will have a neutral to negative effect on their business short term and will certainly not cause the people they are protesting for to go there as they can't afford it or make the same/better at home for 1/4 the cost.

Most of the people who frequent expensive places like Barrio probably care less if the people who serve them are in chains and residing in the basement, they're just happy to be eating at the "in" place in town so it won't change that customer base but it could/will have a long term negative effect on new customers. I don't know anyone who wants to hear the political beliefs of the person making their taco's and they sure as hell don't want to be insulted by them.
I guess we'll see how it turns out...
Barrio doesn't employ illegal aliens... the owner is an immigrant who is making a stand. I guarantee you aren't making the dishes at her restaurant at home. Most people know her restaurants from Diners Drive Ins and Dives.

There is nobody in chains working there. Such drama.

I can assure you that most people who eat there probably respect the statement, and future customers won't care. The drama queens still have Olive Garden and other establishments.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:09 AM

38 posts, read 149,496 times
I think I'm slowly getting driven nuts by nearly everything now having a political implication.

I'm a fairly political person I suppose, meaning I've formed views and opinions and generally pay attention to whats going on.

But... I don't want to think about politics in the grocery store, tire shop, or restaurant, etc. I don't want to not buy Frito Lay chips because someone that works there disagrees with me, or only eat at some other place that does.

I simply don't have the time or an arm long enough to write down who's doing what, where I can go eat or what toilet paper I can buy. I can't imagine how miserable it must be to try to keep track of this ****.

And when you talk to these people, the amount of mental gymnastics that goes on to justify this is mind boggling. "Oh we used to love going to Bobs restaurant, but since he made that off color joke, I realized the food wasn't that good anyways"

With the logic some people use, I'm pretty sure unless I grew the food, made the plastic, welded the metal, I could find something wrong with nearly every place out there, and I'd be eating out of my garden and drinking water the rest of my life.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:23 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,460,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4635 View Post
I think I'm slowly getting driven nuts by nearly everything now having a political implication.

I'm a fairly political person I suppose, meaning I've formed views and opinions and generally pay attention to whats going on.

But... I don't want to think about politics in the grocery store, tire shop, or restaurant, etc. I don't want to not buy Frito Lay chips because someone that works there disagrees with me, or only eat at some other place that does.

I simply don't have the time or an arm long enough to write down who's doing what, where I can go eat or what toilet paper I can buy. I can't imagine how miserable it must be to try to keep track of this ****.

And when you talk to these people, the amount of mental gymnastics that goes on to justify this is mind boggling. "Oh we used to love going to Bobs restaurant, but since he made that off color joke, I realized the food wasn't that good anyways"

With the logic some people use, I'm pretty sure unless I grew the food, made the plastic, welded the metal, I could find something wrong with nearly every place out there, and I'd be eating out of my garden and drinking water the rest of my life.

I'd rep you 1K if I could... last paragraph gave me the giggles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area