Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 12:50 PM

121 posts, read 117,407 times

Advertisements

I'm new to all of this and just replying off of your reply to azriverfan because now I'm curious....what rules do you have to live by to live in Gilbert ??? I'm asking because i've only been there a few times but didnt know they had different rules and or didnt really notice anything different about the area. someone fill me in ! Im not trying to stir a pot I'm just curious of rules if there are any and want to be educated on the matter ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 3,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I think this is pretty absurd. Comparing Mormonism to Sharia? Wow. I recently moved back to Gilbert. Guess what...I do the exact same things I did when I lived in North Phoenix. Do you think I was expected to change my ways or something? I literally see no difference - except the fact that everything is nice, clean, and new.
If you moved to Gilbert from North Phoenix which is just a few miles away in the same state, you obviously wouldn't have noticed much difference. The entire Phoenix area has Mormon influences. On the other hand, if you moved to Gilbert from California, I'm sure you would have had to change your ways to adapt to stricter local laws (especially in regards to alcohol). Beyond the law, certain behaviors would be quietly frowned upon even if not illegal (such as demanding/pushing liberal viewpoints in local PTA meetings, wearing super revealing clothing in public, etc.), and it might have felt a bit like moving to Dubai, or the South. It did for me, anyway.

Last edited by akemsley; 06-25-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beez74 View Post
I'm new to all of this and just replying off of your reply to azriverfan because now I'm curious....what rules do you have to live by to live in Gilbert ??? I'm asking because i've only been there a few times but didnt know they had different rules and or didnt really notice anything different about the area. someone fill me in ! Im not trying to stir a pot I'm just curious of rules if there are any and want to be educated on the matter ??
Nothing out of the ordinary if you're moving there from another conservative town. Azriverfan used Dubai as a slightly exaggerated (and humorous) example, but they could just as well have used the South as an example.

Last edited by akemsley; 06-25-2020 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 02:08 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akemsley View Post
If you moved to Gilbert from North Phoenix which is just a few miles away in the same state, you obviously wouldn't have noticed much difference. The entire Phoenix area has Mormon influences. On the other hand, if you moved to Gilbert from California, I'm sure you would have had to change your ways to adapt to stricter local laws (especially in regards to alcohol). Beyond the law, certain behaviors would be quietly frowned upon even if not illegal (such as demanding/pushing liberal viewpoints in local PTA meetings, wearing super revealing clothing in public, etc.), and it might have felt a bit like moving to Dubai, or the South. It did for me, anyway.
I'm here from CA and there are plenty of Mormons in the suburbs there too, at least in the Mission Viejo area there were. I think they're all over the western US, especially in Utah, Idaho and Hawaii.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm here from CA and there are plenty of Mormons in the suburbs there too, at least in the Mission Viejo area there were. I think they're all over the western US, especially in Utah, Idaho and Hawaii.
Yes, there are certainly lots of us in California too, but we are not as influential there as we are in Arizona, Idaho, and certainly Utah.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:43 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
You will be fine.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:13 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,879,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
You would be surprised. I know a ton of people who do a similar commute. I worked with someone who
commuted from Anthem to Chandler every day. I am done with long commutes myself, but its not as
uncommon as you would think.
Sheesh, what a waste of your life. That one would be over an hour even at 3am. During rush hour I"m guessing close to 2 hours. Stupid!!

Old 07-12-2020, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 468 times
I must confess I'm surprised and happy to read these comments about Mormons. I'm an atheist (former christian), who's been planning to move to AZ within the next 6 months. I'm married and have two kids. Gilbert seems very appealing to us due to safety and good schools. The only concern we had was being in a Mormon community. Let me explain: We live in NE Ohio and evangelical presence here is very strong. Every job I've had here so far I've had to deal with coworkers trying to RE-convert me and they have no idea how disrespectful that is to me. I tell my wife all the time, Imagine if I walked around every job I had trying to De-convert people (which I'd never even try that). We all know, I'd be in a lot of trouble. After 5 years living here I struggled to make friends since I'v always been honest when asked about my "beliefs". I made 1 friend which we never hang out. We assumed (sorry our ignorance) that Mormons behaved similarly to evangelicals. We just want to live a normal life in a warm state such as AZ. Work, raise our kids, make friends and not be isolated for not being religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area