Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,699 times

Advertisements

I live in (City of Phoenix) a seventy (70+) plus unit complex that has Central heat and air conditioning {A/C} and they say they will not turn A/C on till its constantly above 90 degrees.

I know there is a Law, ARS, that states A/C has to be turned on when temperatures reach a lower number and even might address Inside highs.

I'm asking for help so I can serve Notice on the landlord quoting both ARSS & its Text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
I have never seen an actual number that mandates when the AC must be turned on. Reasonable accomodations are what I do see in the AZ state Landlord/tenant rules.

Maybe you could purchase a portable cooler to use when you think it's too hot??

Old 03-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPHX View Post
I live in (City of Phoenix) a seventy (70+) plus unit complex that has Central heat and air conditioning {A/C} and they say they will not turn A/C on till its constantly above 90 degrees.

I know there is a Law, ARS, that states A/C has to be turned on when temperatures reach a lower number and even might address Inside highs.

I'm asking for help so I can serve Notice on the landlord quoting both ARSS & its Text.
I use AC consistently from mid March to mid November

Old 03-02-2017, 02:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I don't think there is any such law. This is the language from A.R.S. Section 33-1324 (6): 6. Supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times, reasonable heat and reasonable air-conditioning or cooling where such units are installed and offered, when required by seasonal weather conditions, except where the building that includes the dwelling unit is not required by law to be equipped for that purpose or the dwelling unit is so constructed that heat, air-conditioning, cooling or hot water is generated by an installation within the exclusive control of the tenant and supplied by a direct public utility connection

Get some good fans, and one of those portable A/C units from Home Depot or Lowe's.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Nothing beats Good Ole Fresh Air, RangerPHX. Take advantage of the GREAT DESERT WEATHER for as long as possible. To put it mildly, there are millions "Up North" and/or "Back East" that are envious of our near perfect weather.

Temperatures in the low 90s with the humidity in the teens or lower are perfect with the windows and doors open plus possibly a fan circulating the air.

Once the temperature goes over 100 and the humidity goes up due to the Monsoons is when you want and need refrigerated air . . . definitely NOT this time of year.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:56 PM

125 posts, read 291,786 times
Wait. What? Are you not allowed to just turn on the AC in your unit whenever you want? Is this an Arizona thing? I've lived in 3 states and I've never heard of this.

Old 03-02-2017, 06:21 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmh182 View Post
Wait. What? Are you not allowed to just turn on the AC in your unit whenever you want? Is this an Arizona thing? I've lived in 3 states and I've never heard of this.
A lot of the older apartment complexes have "chiller" systems that are centrally controlled for the entire complex, instead of individual air conditioning units.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:55 PM

296 posts, read 364,192 times
I just did some research and discovered that Phoenix indeed does has a set temperature in their city code in reference to "reasonable air conditioning". (Apparently Scottsdale does as well but I didn't double check information in their specific code.)

Phoenix City Code

39-5 Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems; health and safety conditions.

39-5.B.1.b

b. Cooling requirements. Every rental housing unit where such systems are installed shall have cooling capable of safely cooling all habitable rooms, bathrooms and flushing toilet rooms to a temperature no greater than 86 degrees Fahrenheit, if cooled by evaporative cooling, or 82 degrees Fahrenheit, if cooled by air conditioning. Temperature measurements shall be taken at a distance three feet above the floor in the center of the room. Required cooling shall be provided by permanently installed cooling facilities. +1

I would call the City of Phoenix - Neighborhood Services Department for advice. Specifically I would look at the Landlord and Tenant Program.

"The Neighborhood Services Department (NSD) Landlord Tenant Program.... provides education to both landlords and tenants on their rights under the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act."

Old 03-02-2017, 11:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
A lot of the older apartment complexes have "chiller" systems that are centrally controlled for the entire complex, instead of individual air conditioning units.
Those chiller/boiler systems tend to be in cheaper places that have free electric. I looked at a few when searching for my first apartment years ago

Old 03-03-2017, 03:46 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
I just did some research and discovered that Phoenix indeed does has a set temperature in their city code in reference to "reasonable air conditioning". (Apparently Scottsdale does as well but I didn't double check information in their specific code.)

Phoenix City Code

39-5 Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems; health and safety conditions.

39-5.B.1.b

b. Cooling requirements. Every rental housing unit where such systems are installed shall have cooling capable of safely cooling all habitable rooms, bathrooms and flushing toilet rooms to a temperature no greater than 86 degrees Fahrenheit, if cooled by evaporative cooling, or 82 degrees Fahrenheit, if cooled by air conditioning. Temperature measurements shall be taken at a distance three feet above the floor in the center of the room. Required cooling shall be provided by permanently installed cooling facilities. +1

I would call the City of Phoenix - Neighborhood Services Department for advice. Specifically I would look at the Landlord and Tenant Program.

"The Neighborhood Services Department (NSD) Landlord Tenant Program.... provides education to both landlords and tenants on their rights under the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act."
"Capable of cooling to" is different than - "always turned on at" - if you've got an *indoor* temp of over 86 degrees on a *sustained* basis & the "free" a/c isn't on, you've got something to grumble about, but I'd bet a nickel there's info in the lease specifying when that "free" a/c gets turned on & it's probably not the first day the outdoor temp reaches 87 degrees.

The OP already said the complex specified a sustained outdoor temp of 90, which will correlate pretty well to an indoor temp of 86. I wouldn't be comfortable at that temp, but the law isn't about "comfort", it's about "habitable" - huge difference. The city isn't going to be any help on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: