Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:38 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Got it. And my reasonable to expect not to pay for the job that they did that needs to be redone? Also, does contacting ROC help?

I would contact them, as they deal with complaints like this all the time. It might not be a speedy solution, though. And I am willing to bet this is an unlicensed contractor, given what has happened so far. I don't know why anyone deals with an unlicensed contractor and no written contract. You've learned a bothersome, and probably expensive, lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,058,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Got it. And my reasonable to expect not to pay for the job that they did that needs to be redone? Also, does contacting ROC help?
Given that they did not ask for any money up front they are also idiots or, hoping you are dumber than they obviously are.
I would not pay them a dime and I would terminate them right after you read this and do NOT let them back on your property for anything. If they left tools there, place them in your driveway for them to pick up at a time of your convenience. Do NOT let them back in as the damage they could do could be expensive. If you are nervous in any way that there may be problems when they come to pick up their stuff just call the police and ask for a civil standby as you are afraid for your safety.

You are going to be stuck with what you paid for the materials, you will not get any money out of them. That's called "the price of an education" about why one should hire proper contractors with a proper contract that has everything spelled out clearly.

They are going to howl and scream, this is why I suggested you take pictures and document everything from conversations to timelines as that will be your defense. I don't see them winning anything if it goes to court, I also don't see them going to court. They may threaten but that's about all as they don't have any proof of what was agreed to just as you don't. They are stupid!
You could easily say "I asked for tile every 4 inches and they put them right next to each other". They have no proof you did or didn't. See the point?

As for ROC? Yes I'd notify them that these bozos are doing contracting work without a license and probably are scam artists.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:36 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,815,787 times
I'm not here to rub salt in the wound but why would you hire someone to do extensive remodel work without a contract or a license? Did you get more than one bid? Did you go with the lowest bid?

I see and hear this all the time and people tend to blame contractors for everything,sometimes they're justifiable,but many times it's the homeowners fault which sounds to be the case here. It's not like you were changing out a ceiling fan and could just hire a handyman you're doing extensive remodeling and wanted the job done right and on time.

This is what you should've done. Get at least 3-4 estimates and right away tho out the lowest one,there's a good reason they're the cheapest. If you didn't know who to call ask your friends and neighbors,ask people on this forum and the main one would've been ask the tile store who they recommend. They're not going to give you some fly by night company because it's their name on the line too. After you've narrowed down your choice ask the contractor for local referrals,not just pictures so you can contact them and ask questions like did they show up on time and were there any delays or surprises? It sounds like you wanted the "cheap" deal and unfortunately that's what you got and a hard lesson in return. Sorry,I'm not trying to be an a$$ here but I see and hear a lot of people here in AZ talk about all the "cheap" labor and how they're getting stuff done at half the cost from where they came from but usually there's a good reason for this and I think you just found that out the hard way. I hope you can get rid of these jokers and get out of this mess ASAP,cut your losses now and hire someone licensed to finish your project. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:51 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,265,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1k View Post
i'm not here to rub salt in the wound but why would you hire someone to do extensive remodel work without a contract or a license? Did you get more than one bid? Did you go with the lowest bid?

I see and hear this all the time and people tend to blame contractors for everything,sometimes they're justifiable,but many times it's the homeowners fault which sounds to be the case here. It's not like you were changing out a ceiling fan and could just hire a handyman you're doing extensive remodeling and wanted the job done right and on time.

This is what you should've done. Get at least 3-4 estimates and right away tho out the lowest one,there's a good reason they're the cheapest. If you didn't know who to call ask your friends and neighbors,ask people on this forum and the main one would've been ask the tile store who they recommend. They're not going to give you some fly by night company because it's their name on the line too. After you've narrowed down your choice ask the contractor for local referrals,not just pictures so you can contact them and ask questions like did they show up on time and were there any delays or surprises? It sounds like you wanted the "cheap" deal and unfortunately that's what you got and a hard lesson in return. Sorry,i'm not trying to be an a$$ here but i see and hear a lot of people here in az talk about all the "cheap" labor and how they're getting stuff done at half the cost from where they came from but usually there's a good reason for this and i think you just found that out the hard way. I hope you can get rid of these jokers and get out of this mess asap,cut your losses now and hire someone licensed to finish your project. Good luck.
x1000.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,740,397 times
Sounds like time to "move on" before more ineptness occurs, Flavia.

Sit down with the owner / boss and clearly advise him of the issues (make a complete list when your head is clear prior to the meeting).

Although a little late, obtain a full written contract from this point forward with a "time is of the essence clause" allowing them a fair amount of time to complete the work to your complete satisfaction. Penalties for "broken terms" should be clearly addressed.

If that is not agreeable, determine a fair price for the work already performed to your satisfaction, pay the goons and terminate any future work.

Good Luck and now begin your search for a competent LICENSED CONTRACTOR.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:06 AM

200 posts, read 414,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I'm not here to rub salt in the wound but why would you hire someone to do extensive remodel work without a contract or a license? Did you get more than one bid? Did you go with the lowest bid?

This is what you should've done. Get at least 3-4 estimates and right away tho out the lowest one,there's a good reason they're the cheapest. If you didn't know who to call ask your friends and neighbors,ask people on this forum and the main one would've been ask the tile store who they recommend. They're not going to give you some fly by night company because it's their name on the line too. After you've narrowed down your choice ask the contractor for local referrals,not just pictures so you can contact them and ask questions like did they show up on time and were there any delays or surprises? It sounds like you wanted the "cheap" deal and unfortunately that's what you got and a hard lesson in return. Sorry,I'm not trying to be an a$$ here but I see and hear a lot of people here in AZ talk about all the "cheap" labor and how they're getting stuff done at half the cost from where they came from but usually there's a good reason for this and I think you just found that out the hard way. I hope you can get rid of these jokers and get out of this mess ASAP,cut your losses now and hire someone licensed to finish your project. Good luck.
Once again.....x1000
This is a a case of "you get what you pay for".
Skilled labor isn't cheap, and cheap labor isn't skilled.
Where did you find these guys? Were they recommended by someone? Craigslist?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:10 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,448,318 times
Thank you again for all the replies.

These people were recommended to me by a realtor who's been in business for a long time, and I rushed into hiring them without doing my research. Yes, my bad for not getting a contract... This is my first extensive remodel and I'm obviously The lesson fast.

So at this point should I pay them for some work performed(i.e. laminate floor)? Or just fire them and not pay a dime since the cost of the damaged materials is about the same as the quote that they gave me for the job?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,740,397 times
To be fair, Flavia . . .

They are entitled to be paid for their work performed to your satisfaction, however, you are entitled to be compensated for the "damage" they caused / created.

Even with an agreement, just in case this scenario evolves into a legal situation the future . . . document everything and take as many pictures as possible.

Once again, Good Luck.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:48 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,448,318 times
I searched the ROC database, and looks like they do have insurance bond for 4250$. I doubt it's much use for me since I don't have a contract.. Oh boy.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:44 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,256,095 times
So they are licensed which gives you a lot more leverage. No contractor wants an ROC claim against them, it will kill their business. Talk to them about your issues and if they aren't receptive threaten to contact the ROC. If you just want to end the relationship then you need to come to an agreement and pay them for the work they did do right minus the damage you have to repair. These types of disputes aren't uncommon, I just had one with a flooring company who I've used for about 6 years, and the ROC is equipped to handle them even without a contract.

I've never had to file a complaint because that is such a gigantic threat to a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: