Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 AM

39 posts, read 51,205 times

Advertisements

I would love to be able to ride my bike to work. 17 miles, 56th/Tbird to 3st/VanBuren. Not enough bike lanes/trails to do it, "safely". Bummer. Also, I'm not sure PHX area drivers are comfortable with cyclists anyway. A work in progress I hope.
As much of a zoo it is in the "OC" where I just recently relocated from, they are VERY familiar with cyclists on the roads.
This area seems dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 11:24 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Thank you, because I have wondered if the bike paths were considered safe or if there was a criminal element that frequents them in general.
There are areas of the Greenbelt that are definitely shady, especially south of Osborn all the way to Tempe Town Lake. More than once Ive seen drug deals going on, bum camps, graffiti, and shady characters wandering around in the parks after dark. Just be prepared with weapons and a sharp wit and you should be ok.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
There are areas of the Greenbelt that are definitely shady, especially south of Osborn all the way to Tempe Town Lake. More than once Ive seen drug deals going on, bum camps, graffiti, and shady characters wandering around in the parks after dark. Just be prepared with weapons and a sharp wit and you should be ok.
Yep. That, and basic martial arts training will serve you well.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:42 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Yep. That, and basic martial arts training will serve you well.

Okay now I'm scared again.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Just don't ride in the dark.

The problem is that in the summer, that's the best time to ride, but you just have to compensate and expect some shady night crawlers roaming about like the zombies they are.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
I ride this area all the time, day and night, summer and winter. I've never had a problem, do I see homeless people? Of course. Have I ever felt I needed a weapon or needed to fight? Not a single time. Nothing I haven't see while walking around NY, SF, Seattle or other places. Just be diligent and if you are worried find another route, the trails around town lake have a lot of people, it's not like your heading down a dark alley alone.

I've been riding here for 15 years, trails, canal paths and the roads. There's a lot of options and it just keeps expanding.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I ride this area all the time, day and night, summer and winter. I've never had a problem, do I see homeless people? Of course. Have I ever felt I needed a weapon or needed to fight? Not a single time. Nothing I haven't see while walking around NY, SF, Seattle or other places. Just be diligent and if you are worried find another route, the trails around town lake have a lot of people, it's not like your heading down a dark alley alone.

I've been riding here for 15 years, trails, canal paths and the roads. There's a lot of options and it just keeps expanding.
Funny you mention that, because that area just north of the lake is the WORST part of my ride. When I refer to shady characters at night, that's where they've almost always been. If you take the trail north from the lake, just as you pass under the 202 and head up that little hill, you're confronted with a freaky bum camp off to the right in Rio Salado. Ive had them act quite rude to riders before, myself included. Head a bit north past that birdwatching park thing (or whatever it is) and go under Curry Rd and from there all the way up to El Dorado park is shady. Scratch that... shady as funk! That section that rides next to the golf park on the right, with the ghetto homes and self storage place on the left is always full of tweekers, weirdos, and scumbags. And there is NO LIGHTING. AT ALL. One night I was riding back and saw a group of 4 guys sitting on the wall. As I got a bit closer, one hopped down and wandered a bit close to the path and looked my direction. I put my light on high power, popped one earbud out, and had my 5" folding knife in my left hand. I picked up the pace, blew past em doing at least 20 mph, and they didn't do anything. I could only imagine what they were up to. I almost felt like sticking around and hiding to see if they assaulted any women.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
The moral of the story is (also talking to my younger, dumb, naive self here) if you are riding late at night... just don't. If you do - let people know where you are, ride in well-lit areas and with other people. More or less just use common sense. Never underestimate one creep. It's not worth your life or sanity.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Funny you mention that, because that area just north of the lake is the WORST part of my ride. When I refer to shady characters at night, that's where they've almost always been. If you take the trail north from the lake, just as you pass under the 202 and head up that little hill, you're confronted with a freaky bum camp off to the right in Rio Salado. Ive had them act quite rude to riders before, myself included. Head a bit north past that birdwatching park thing (or whatever it is) and go under Curry Rd and from there all the way up to El Dorado park is shady. Scratch that... shady as funk! That section that rides next to the golf park on the right, with the ghetto homes and self storage place on the left is always full of tweekers, weirdos, and scumbags. And there is NO LIGHTING. AT ALL. One night I was riding back and saw a group of 4 guys sitting on the wall. As I got a bit closer, one hopped down and wandered a bit close to the path and looked my direction. I put my light on high power, popped one earbud out, and had my 5" folding knife in my left hand. I picked up the pace, blew past em doing at least 20 mph, and they didn't do anything. I could only imagine what they were up to. I almost felt like sticking around and hiding to see if they assaulted any women.
In my 15 years of riding around here I've never had a situation where I felt uncomfortable as you describe here, I've ridden past tons of people that look certain ways but never carried a knife or thought I needed one. I'm sure it's the smarter thing to do, we are in a big city and I realize things happen fast, so maybe I'm just naive but this has not been a problem for me.

As a Tempe resident I do make it known that I think the community would benefit from bringing back the park ranger budget. There has been a noticeable increase in homeless people living in Papago Park, which annoys me as it should be a huge asset for a landlocked city. But I also don't know any large city that doesn't have a homeless problem in the country. I'm sure it's not an easy problem to solve or else NY, SF SEA, etc.. probably would have by now.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:32 AM

7,177 posts, read 9,228,608 times
When riding my bike along the canals and other paths at night it's not the "creep" factor that worries me most. Along the Grand Canal I've come up on people fishing with their lines strung completely across the path. In the dark! Others letting their dogs run loose. Children not supervised unaware of what's coming up and down the path. It's amazing how many people take up the whole path thoughtlessly.

Riding at night you have to be as aware of your surroundings as possible. Try to figure out escape routes ahead of time. Slow down! 'cause that 3 yr old may wonder in front of you as you pass. I put my headlight on blink which helps a lot. Even with all that sometimes you just have to say, "Excuse me. Coming thru."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area