Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:34 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,977,598 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My family and I (two kids 10 & 12 years old) will be in town for a few days and a few questions:

1. I love college football and would really like to check out Sun Devil Stadium. Does anyone know if it's open during the day? A lot of stadiums are open during the day--not officially but there's often times an entrance open because not too many trying to get it--I'd love to get down on the field and throw the ball around with my son (I know this will be hit or miss)

2. Looking for family excursions around Tempe. Is the Mill Avenue District and Tempe Beach Park fun for walking around with the family?

3. Is there a walking path that goes along the Salt River?

4. Are there bikes available rent at the Tempe Beach Park area?

5. What hikes would you recommend for a family with a 10 & 12 year old? Nothing too strenuous but they're in decent enough shape---looking for places within a 30 minute drive of downtown.

6. Any really neat restaurants to recommend for dinner? Interested in views and fun areas to stroll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 01:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,293,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Hello all. My family and I (two kids 10 & 12 years old) will be in town for a few days and a few questions:

1. I love college football and would really like to check out Sun Devil Stadium. Does anyone know if it's open during the day? A lot of stadiums are open during the day--not officially but there's often times an entrance open because not too many trying to get it--I'd love to get down on the field and throw the ball around with my son (I know this will be hit or miss)

2. Looking for family excursions around Tempe. Is the Mill Avenue District and Tempe Beach Park fun for walking around with the family?

5. What hikes would you recommend for a family with a 10 & 12 year old? Nothing too strenuous but they're in decent enough shape---looking for places within a 30 minute drive of downtown.

6. Any really neat restaurants to recommend for dinner? Interested in views and fun areas to stroll.

Season ticket holder since the Mid-90's here. There's plenty to do before the games. Many people do tailgate in the ASU lots before the game - if you can score North lot parking passes many of those spots have shade, which is important earlier in the season. Many people just hang out on Mill Avenue where there's a variety of dining options from burgers, taco's to great pizza places like La Bocca, and finer dining at House of Tricks or Caffe Boa. I like MaCayo's for the $2 Dos Equis and average Mexican food with a great patio.

For kids there's a Dave and Busters at Tempe Marketplace, but closer to the stadium they close off College Ave and have things for kids such as football throwing games, cornhole, etc. There is a walkway along Town Lake and there is the ability to hike up "A" Mountain, which provides a great view of the city.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:01 PM

Just noticed you're not coming for a game but wanted to see the stadium. I don't think you can get in right now as it is under construction. They are putting in a new jumbotron on the North side in June and are in the process of building all of the supports. It may be open for the "Spring Game" or they may move the game somewhere else due to construction. There is a team shop that is attached to the stadium, and from that general area there is access to all of the behind the scenes stuff. You could probably ask someone there if you could have a brief tour

Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 PM

Thanks asufan. I just saw your edit. If they're working on the stadium, I think it'll be even easier to get in there because they'll be a lot of workers coming and going. Whether they let us throw around the ball down on the field is another story though. I've walked into and onto a lot of stadiums (IA, Purdue, IL, NW, Wisky) and never had a problem....but I realize it's totally hit-or-miss. Just curious if anyone else has ever tried it. Now that most fields are "field turf" they don't mind as much with people walking on them.

Is "A" Mountain and Town Lake right next to the stadium? I might be able to "sell" my wife on going to the stadium if I can tie it into a hike.

Last edited by flashes1; 03-13-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-13-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks asufan. Have you ever been to the football stadium in March? I've been able to walk right into and onto every college football field I've tried during the week including (NW, Iowa, Wisky, Purdue, and Illinois). I love just walking around them---and now that most fields are "field turf," most of them don't mind a stray person walking on them. I know it's totally hit-or-miss though....so I know there's no guarantees....just curious if anyone has ever done it at ASU.
I have just wandered in there, but I've been a supporter for a long time and many people in the athletic department know me Being under construction now I know they have fences up and construction workers coming and going but it's worth a shot.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:15 PM

Is that a current pic? If so, I don't see us down on the field! ha Is that field turf?????

Looks like a great stadium...would love to see it.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:19 PM

No that's from before last season but you get the idea. Hell no, no turf, let tucson have their fake grass

Old 03-13-2017, 02:44 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,469,532 times
Quote:

I don't the answer to the question about the stadium. For the other questions:

#2 -- Yes. Mill Avenue might not be great for kids late at night when the college bar scene takes over, but it's fine for children during the day. Tempe Beach Park is good for families; however, it is often booked for festivals during the spring. Some are free; some require paid admission. Some are more family-friendly than others. This past weekend, the park hosted the Arizona Aloha Festival, which was fun and free.

#3 There are bike / ped paths on both sides of Tempe Town Lake, which is the dammed portion of the Salt River within Tempe. There is also a car-free bike / ped bridge over the lake near the Tempe Center for the Arts. The paths join with the Scottsdale Indian Bend Wash Greenbelt on the north side and the new Rio Salado Pathway in Mesa on the east side.

#4 Not right at the park. Tempe is supposed to join in the regional bike share system, GRID, but that hasn't happened quite yet. Until then, I recommend renting from the Bicycle Cellar, which is just a few blocks away from Tempe Beach Park.

#5 The hike up Tempe Butte (better known as "A Mountain") is short and strenuous, not to mention crowded. It won't take more than an hour and will provide a nice view of the lake from up high. For a little more of a natural desert hiking experience, try South Mountain, just over the border in Phoenix.

#6 In the walkable core of Downtown Tempe, I like the following for family dining: Med Fresh (Turkish), Pita Jungle (Mediterranean), Rehab Burger Therapy (self-explanatory), Matt's Big Breakfast (self-explanatory), NCounter (breakfast and sandwiches), Restaurant Mexico (self-explanatory), Rula Bula (Irish Pub), the Chuck Box (burgers), and Phoenicia (Middle Eastern). A little bit to the east of ASU, Apache Boulevard is where you'll find a variety of international restaurants (Indian, Persian, Lebanese, Yemeni, etc.). As Apache continues into Mesa and become Main Street, you'll find Mekong Plaza, a shopping center full of east Asian restaurants. If you want to pay a bit more for a view, you might want to try Top of the Rock at the Buttes resort. If you want some local history, try the Stockyards, located just over the border in Phoenix.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:48 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I don't the answer to the question about the stadium. For the other questions:

#2 -- Yes. Mill Avenue might not be great for kids late at night when the college bar scene takes over, but it's fine for children during the day. Tempe Beach Park is good for families; however, it is often booked for festivals during the spring. Some are free; some require paid admission. Some are more family-friendly than others. This past weekend, the park hosted the Arizona Aloha Festival, which was fun and free.

#3 There are bike / ped paths on both sides of Tempe Town Lake, which is the dammed portion of the Salt River within Tempe. There is also a car-free bike / ped bridge over the lake near the Tempe Center for the Arts. The paths join with the Scottsdale Indian Bend Wash Greenbelt on the north side and the new Rio Salado Pathway in Mesa on the east side.

#4 Not right at the park. Tempe is supposed to join in the regional bike share system, GRID, but that hasn't happened quite yet. Until then, I recommend renting from the Bicycle Cellar, which is just a few blocks away from Tempe Beach Park.

#5 The hike up Tempe Butte (better known as "A Mountain") is short and strenuous, not to mention crowded. It won't take more than an hour and will provide a nice view of the lake from up high. For a little more of a natural desert hiking experience, try South Mountain, just over the border in Phoenix.

#6 In the walkable core of Downtown Tempe, I like the following for family dining: Med Fresh (Turkish), Pita Jungle (Mediterranean), Rehab Burger Therapy (self-explanatory), Matt's Big Breakfast (self-explanatory), NCounter (breakfast and sandwiches), Restaurant Mexico (self-explanatory), Rula Bula (Irish Pub), the Chuck Box (burgers), and Phoenicia (Middle Eastern). A little bit to the east of ASU, Apache Boulevard is where you'll find a variety of international restaurants (Indian, Persian, Lebanese, Yemeni, etc.). As Apache continues into Mesa and become Main Street, you'll find Mekong Plaza, a shopping center full of east Asian restaurants. If you want to pay a bit more for a view, you might want to try Top of the Rock at the Buttes resort. If you want some local history, try the Stockyards, located just over the border in Phoenix.

You can also hike in Papago Park, just north of Tempe. Go to Galvin Parkway off Van Buren and turn right (north) lots of hiking areas in the park, as well as the Phoenix Zoo, which is a nice hike in and of itself, as the zoo grounds are large and a bit hilly in places.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM

413 posts, read 875,721 times
Quote:

Is "A" Mountain and Town Lake right next to the stadium? I might be able to "sell" my wife on going to the stadium if I can tie it into a hike.
They're right close together. I go to Tempe yearly for a convention and my morning walk is in that area. I've combined the three locales before, although I've never actually gone in the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area