Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 664 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment complex that has all utilities included. We have a water cooled chiller system - not air conditioning - and there are plumbing repairs that have been going on for the last month and two weeks ( we were notified these repairs would take place within a one month period and it has since taken longer ). The chiller unit is often shut off for the winter months due to lack of need for it and has not been turned back on for the heat. At this point, it is starting to get hot and rather uncomfortable. I am from out of state and am not used to these high temperatures and my apartment complex has still yet to turn on our chiller system. What are my rights, if any, to demand that accommodations be made? The high temperatures are making me ill and causing me to lose a lot of sleep at night which is in turn making it hard to go to work and earn my rent. I need some kind of break and need to know if there is anything that can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannimarieeee View Post
I live in an apartment complex that has all utilities included. We have a water cooled chiller system - not air conditioning - and there are plumbing repairs that have been going on for the last month and two weeks ( we were notified these repairs would take place within a one month period and it has since taken longer ). The chiller unit is often shut off for the winter months due to lack of need for it and has not been turned back on for the heat. At this point, it is starting to get hot and rather uncomfortable. I am from out of state and am not used to these high temperatures and my apartment complex has still yet to turn on our chiller system. What are my rights, if any, to demand that accommodations be made? The high temperatures are making me ill and causing me to lose a lot of sleep at night which is in turn making it hard to go to work and earn my rent. I need some kind of break and need to know if there is anything that can be done.
You can refer to the Arizona Tenant's Rights. Generally I believe you need to notify the landlord and give the 48 hours to fix the problem. At the point you can deduct rent from next month's rent for the number of days you find the problem persists. You do need to notify the landlord that you are deducting rent before you actually do it. Hopefully you're landlord can at least provide you with a window unit if the central air can't be turned on.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:26 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
He doesn't have central air conditioning, he's talking about an evap cooler system. Big difference.
OP as said above contact the landlord about getting the apt cooled to a reasonable temperature.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:30 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,308,440 times
I would discuss with them see if they can provide you with a portable AC unit usually has a hose that you tape up to an open window for the hot air to go out they stand on the floor. Search Results for*portable air conditioner*at The Home Depot

If they are unable to provide such a unit ask them if you can buy one and deduct it from the rent or go to a hotel at their expense I bet they would rather give you a portable AC unit then have you in a hotel.

Link to Arizona landlord tenant act >>https://housing.az.gov/sites/default...203%202015.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
He doesn't have central air conditioning, he's talking about an evap cooler system. Big difference.
OP as said above contact the landlord about getting the apt cooled to a reasonable temperature.
No it's not evap cooler what the apartment has is a cooling tower type system this is used in large buildings I used to work in HVAC for large buildings you see it more in older apartments newer ones tend to use small AC units for each apartment. Here is a description of the type of system they are using http://business.edf.org/projects/fea...g-towers-work/

Usually apartments where they offer free electricity or it's included in your rent they have these types of systems. They require higher maintenance that is why most apartments built after 1990's discontinued their use. Large office buildings still use them where floors used one air handler rooms it makes sense but apartments where you have several rooms with their own return air systems miles of pipes which are not easy to access they cost more to maintain.

I would start looking for somewhere else to live you know if they treat their tenants like this they will do the same if it breaks down in the summer.

Last edited by kell490; 03-14-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 10:33 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
How about you talk to the manager first? Do a quick Google search for "AZ rental ac" or something along those lines for articles on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area